HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Prospect Info: Bernier continues to excel with Monarchs (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=770786)

Sydor25 04-30-2010 10:39 AM

Bernier continues to excel with Monarchs

Bernier, the No. 11 pick of the 2006 Entry Draft, has put himself in this position by playing some mind games. He said he targeted improvement in his mental consistency more than anything else this season, approaching each game with the same level of urgency.

For the most part he had that mastered, although he dropped a notch from the Pirates series by giving up four goals on 27 shots in a loss to Worcester in Game 1 of the Atlantic Division finals April 25.

"The biggest thing for me is mental, trying to come out every night and be consistent," he said. "That's what I really wanted to work on this year. If you prepare all year, you just worry about playing good down here. I feel ready to take the next step if they (the Kings) give me a chance."

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=527506

DIEHARD the King fan 04-30-2010 11:28 AM

He'll get that shot come September. Whether TM is open to seeing him steal the #1 spot from JQ, if he can, is another story.

In all honesty, I don't think you can place any credence in what TM says about annointing a Number 1 goalie for next season. By saying what he did about JQ, he gives deference to his starter this season and instills desire in his backups to up their play. Don't think that if JQ never regains form that JB isn't going to be right there to pick up the slack. At this point its pretty clear that EE isnt going to get that shot, unless I'm missing something.

LA Kings Cup Champs 04-30-2010 12:04 PM

Personally, I thought that it was a big mistake that the kings didn't give Quick some more off when his kid was born back in March. If I were the one making the decisions, I would have given Quick at least the Stars game off (which they did) followed by the Preds game two days later. That would have given Quick at least a week off to get used to his new living situation with his first child and all.

And, really, after seeing Bernier performance in the Stars game, I would have kept him up much longer, and possibly even had him finish out the season and playoffs. Now I am not saying that I don't appreciate what Quick did for this team, but no one can deny that he did not play well after the Olympic break. And someone should have noticed that and done something about that.

Again, I am not saying the Bernier could have taken us far in the Playoffs, because there was nothing that he could do about our lack of 5 on 5 scoring, but I do know that Bernier could have stolen us a game or two and we might have faced Phoenix instead, and who knows what could have happened from there.

Quick is fast and average in his positioning, but he has some problems tracking the puck at times, and has been known to have a slow glove hand. Quick play a big role in helping us get to the Playoffs, but then he fell off the map toward the end of the season, and someone should have noticed that sooner, and done something about that sooner.

Oh, well. No use in crying over spilt milk. Here to watching Bernier take the Monarchs to the Calder Cup Finals and lifting the trophy high above his head as he looks up and Deano and Hexy and shouts, "I am the King!" As he makes his way onto the team next year and takes us all the way to the Cup finals and repeats this years feat, only on the biggest stage this time. :yo: :yo: :yo:

Telos 04-30-2010 01:55 PM

If he continues the progress we have seen and he plays like he did during his call-ups, the future would be inevitable and he will wind up playing half the games next season.

kingsfan28 04-30-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telos (Post 25554885)
If he continues the progress we have seen and he plays like he did during his call-ups, the future would be inevitable and he will wind up playing half the games next season.

And it would be a win-win situation:yo:

DryIslandBartender 04-30-2010 10:25 PM

"My goal is to be the best goalie in the league, whatever league I play in"- Bernier.

Skebo 05-01-2010 12:24 PM

I think this is the exact goalie scenario that DL was looking for and needed after the Cloutier debacle. He has a very good quality #1 goalie in JQ and a potential elite goalie with JB. After JB helps the Monarchs win the Calder Cup, then he has nothing more to prove at the AHL level and the writing is on the wall for JQ. JQ may start the season as the #1, but you can bet your entire bankroll that JB gets a helluva chance to steal that job with frequent starts throughout the season. By playoff time next year, we'll have two very good and sharp goalies that have been pushing each other all season and TM can go with the hot hand.

If JB can prove himself a step above JQ at the NHL level, then JQ becomes a very nice trade asset.