HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   How and When to Shoot low (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=773784)

HowToHockey 05-08-2010 05:28 PM

How and When to Shoot low

Here's a video that plays off of my first one, how to snipe top shelf

wearethegreek 05-08-2010 06:33 PM

I'm all about setting up rebounds off the pads. Goalies love to kick that **** out and be all ninja-like. Smart players go to the doorstep when I enter the zone hard on the wing.

If you can make a hard pass, you can shoot low and get juicy bounces :yo:

HowToHockey 05-08-2010 07:50 PM

Definitely another good reason to shoot low! You can score, and much better chance your team mates hammering in the rebounds.

I have that in the article, not on the site yet though.

Jarick 05-08-2010 10:04 PM

I had a nice assist last night shooting low, tried to deke the goalie and shot hard low forehand, goalie kicked the rebound right to the trailer who buried it.

I can't see the video on my phone but I release the puck earlier in my stance to keep it low.

noobman 05-08-2010 10:50 PM

You can shoot over the net, but you can't shoot under it.

Gino 14 05-09-2010 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 25709357)

Best reason there is for shooting low.

Analyzer* 05-09-2010 06:50 PM

Practice putting the puck around 18 inches off the ice. You'll score a lot more. It goes over the pad, under the blocker.

If you want to put the puck anywhere, when you shoot follow through and aim to where you want the puck to go with your stick.

rinkrat22 05-09-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 25719825)
Practice putting the puck around 18 inches off the ice. You'll score a lot more. It goes over the pad, under the blocker.

If you want to put the puck anywhere, when you shoot follow through and aim to where you want the puck to go with your stick.

my favorite place to shoot slappers... at the posts, above the leg pads and below the arms. You will catch them dropping into the butterfly but unable to get a glove/blocker on it. and if they do, nice juicy rebound.:yo:

Ani simov mal 05-09-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino 14 (Post 25719252)
Best reason there is for shooting low.

What if it goes wide?

wearethegreek 05-09-2010 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anisimov (Post 25721446)
What if it goes wide?

Better chance for a tip in maybe...

but you and your teammates should be jumping on loose pucks like they were the last piece of cheese in a rat race.

TBLfan 05-09-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 25719825)

The best shot that will score most often is about 13-15" off the ice on the posts. It's over the leg pads and unless they are a pure Montreal butterfly goalie and they have to reach really far. A true Montreal style has the gloves sitting on the pads and they save by moving their hands upward, even in that case, they're still having to reach.

Pedagogue 05-09-2010 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 25709357)

+1 Yeah, everyone likes the goals that are high and just under the cross bar. Statistically, those are far and few between.

SkateSave 05-09-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wearethegreek (Post 25704287)
I'm all about setting up rebounds off the pads. Goalies love to kick that **** out and be all ninja-like. Smart players go to the doorstep when I enter the zone hard on the wing.

If you can make a hard pass, you can shoot low and get juicy bounces :yo:

YES. Its strange how even some NHL players don't do this. They come in from the wing on a marginal angle and try to snipe it top shelf, but it ends up right in the goalies chest (hello Jason Blake).

Not only is shooting low or far side easier it almost guarantees the goalie won't freeze it the puck. Just think of the goalie as a wall to make a pass to your teammate, with the added bonus that if he doesn't act as wall, then its a goal.

Synergy27 05-09-2010 10:12 PM

I know the question posed in this thread is hypothetical, but the answer to it is pretty much "always", especially if you're playing in a beer league. Amateur goalies have a much harder time stopping low shots than high ones.

Jules Winnfield 05-09-2010 10:13 PM

Luc Robitaille aimed for the 5 hole on every shot.

BadHammy* 05-09-2010 11:43 PM

If the goalie is still in stand up mode or in the process of going down and you don't see any clear holes, banking it off his skates is often a good option.

Heat McManus 05-10-2010 12:51 AM

When shooting low it also helps if you can get your top hend a bit out in front of you.

Gino 14 05-10-2010 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anisimov (Post 25721446)
What if it goes wide?

Gee, let me think........... no goal?? Why? Did you think if it went high and wide it was a goal?

noobman 05-10-2010 11:06 AM

At the level I play (pretty low), most goals tend to go in along the ice. Going roof-daddy, especially on the glove side, is a good way to get robbed by an otherwise terrible goaltender.

Gino 14 05-10-2010 01:25 PM

I watched a video clip about shot placement (if I can find it again I'll post it) taken from the shooter's viewpoint and the puck's "viewpoint" and the better scoring opportunities are available by staying low. What looks open from 6' above the ice isn't so at ice level.

rinkrat22 05-10-2010 01:58 PM

^^^ I remember seeing this also, I just cant remember where... old fart syndrome.

BadHammy* 05-10-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino 14 (Post 25729623)
I watched a video clip about shot placement (if I can find it again I'll post it) taken from the shooter's viewpoint and the puck's "viewpoint" and the better scoring opportunities are available by staying low. What looks open from 6' above the ice isn't so at ice level.

I think it's called eyes of the puck. The point is that it's harder to shoot across than it looks like because the puck is out and in front of you. It's always ideal to shoot straight.

Gino 14 05-10-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donGjohnson (Post 25730190)
I think it's called eyes of the puck. The point is that it's harder to shoot across than it looks like because the puck is out and in front of you. It's always ideal to shoot straight.

Nope, obviously we're not talking about the same video.