HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   HF Wild Draft Board (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=774183)

GopherState 05-09-2010 11:22 PM

HF Wild Draft Board

There's been a lot of talk about draft picks and discussing which guy should be picked at what position. So in order to create some debates and quell some of the arguments (and also compare our body of work against other NHL teams in June), let's create a large HF Wild draft board.

Rules of the game: Starting at the first overall pick (going one pick at a time), everyone gets one vote for any player they want. Once a player gets five* votes or goes twenty-four hours without a vote, we move onto the next slot. Rinse and repeat. You can give an analysis of why you want to pick that player, but it's not necessary. The first post will be edited with the complete draft - enjoy!

*I went with five because trying to accumulate ten votes seemed like too many given the size of this board. If that's not the case, we can adjust.

Draft Board:
1. Tyler Seguin C Plymouth (OHL)
2. Taylor Hall LW Windsor (OHL)
3. Cam Fowler D Windsor (OHL)
4. Erik Gudbranson D Kingston (OHL)
5. Brett Connolly LW Prince George (WHL)
6. Nino Niederreiter LW Portland (WHL)
7. Ryan Johansen C Portland (WHL)
8. Brandon Gormley D Moncton (QJMHL)
9. Jeff Skinner C Kitchener (OHL)
10. Mikael Granlund LW HIFK (Fin)
11. Derek Forbort D USA U-18 NDTP
12. Alexander Burmistrov C Barrie (OHL)
13. Vladimir Tarasenko LW Sibir (KHL)
14. Jack Campbell G USA U-18 NDTP
15. Jon Merrill D USA U-18 NDTP
16. Austin Watson RW Peterborough (OHL)
17. Emerson Etem C Medicine Hat (WHL)
18. Nick Bjugstad C Blaine (MN-HS)
19. Mark Pysyk D Edmonton (WHL)

GopherState 05-09-2010 11:31 PM

First pick:
Taylor Hall (1)

I went with Hall over Seguin due to the ability to be a player to build around. Like Stamkos and Tavares before him, Hall might not might have the best stats next year but will be better off in the long-term. He does a better job of controlling the ice and has unmatched speed. That's the type I want at 1.

Jbcraig1883 05-09-2010 11:55 PM

Tyler Seguin (1) Taylor Hall (1)

I think he will be the better overall player, one that plays PP, PK, wins draws, etc. I see Hall being the more explosive offensive player. And, I think being a center is more valuable than a wing for Edmonton.

GopherState 05-10-2010 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jocksta18 (Post 25724453)
Tyler Seguin (1) Taylor Hall (1)

I think he will be the better overall player, one that plays PP, PK, wins draws, etc. I see Hall being the more explosive offensive player. And, I think being a center is more valuable than a wing for Edmonton.

I guess I didn't make this clear on the first post, but it's a draft board for the Wild rather than a straight mock draft. Even though the first set of picks won't be available if Minnesota drafts at nine, it's good to have those set of players ranked in case of a trade or one of them miraculously falls.

Jbcraig1883 05-10-2010 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GopherState (Post 25724545)
I guess I didn't make this clear on the first post, but it's a draft board for the Wild rather than a straight mock draft. Even though the first set of picks won't be available if Minnesota drafts at nine, it's good to have those set of players ranked in case of a trade or one of them miraculously falls.

My bad. Long day with a bunch of women....

However, I still prefer Seguin for the Wild as well. Him and Koivu down the middle is more intriguing than Hall on the wing imo.

mnwildgophers 05-10-2010 06:26 AM

Taylor Hall because even though we need a center, I think Hall is a winger that you can build around for years to come, any sort of offensive help is easy, and Hall has done it all.

Wildlife 05-10-2010 10:42 AM

As much as I love Seguin, I'm gonna go with Hall. Seems like the overall best choice to build around and provides another great winger to work with on the 1st line.

Surly Furious 05-10-2010 10:57 AM

1. Hall - I like the name better than Seguin.

Dr Jan Itor 05-10-2010 12:52 PM

Seguin.

Franchise centers are NOT a dime a dozen.

GopherState 05-10-2010 01:09 PM

So we're at Hall (4) Seguin (2)

PAZIMO 05-10-2010 01:26 PM

Tyler Seguin

UMD05 05-10-2010 02:18 PM

Seguin by a razor thin margin. I love Hall's game but strength down the middle is so, so important.

When you essentially have two #1's I'll take the center every time.

Jbcraig1883 05-10-2010 02:28 PM

Well, whoever posts next makes the decision!

Might as well put the other as number two to speed up the process.

djp4516 05-10-2010 02:35 PM

Seguin.. I don't like Hall's skating

shleeban 05-10-2010 03:42 PM

so at pick 2 that would make hall the obvious choice... so should we pick 3rd now? if thats the case i pick fowler, even though we are set at D he is a franchise D-man and if someone really wanted him they will trade a scoring winger for him

firstroundbust 05-10-2010 04:14 PM

Not to clomp on this thread, but I got an idea-

Instead of doing a straight list, we could do it this way. Since the teams themselves don't make straight lists, why should we? My understanding is that players are categorized by talent/ceiling, and when their pick is up, they are able to vet through that group and pick one, or immediately jump on a guy who they had ranked higher but fell for one reason or another.

Therefore it would be like this:

Hall
Seguin

Its fairly obvious that its these two, then the rest. So then let's move onward. Based off what I've read, its been this for the next group:

Gormley
Fowler
Gudbranson
Connolly*

The big 3 D of course, but then Connolly has been ranked high all year based on his talent BUT the big variable is whether or not his hips are found to be degenerative, which means he'll faaaaaaallllll...

So that leaves us with Group #3...

firstroundbust 05-10-2010 04:14 PM

Also, for what its worth, I think Gudbranson goes #3 overall...

mnwildgophers 05-10-2010 05:05 PM

I say Fowler at #3.

Jbcraig1883 05-10-2010 05:13 PM

I'm with Fowler at 3 as well.

this providence 05-10-2010 06:12 PM

I'd say Fowler at 3 as well given he's near the consensus in a lot of the rankings you do read by people who are paid to do this for a living.

However, I've seen him a handful of times and to be honest, I didn't come away with the impression that he's the type of defenseman that would be worthy of the #3 Overall selection. Personally, if I was a team in that slot I'd be looking for a Doughty type player. And based on the limited times I have seen Fowler, I don't think he's that guy.

Jbcraig1883 05-10-2010 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by this providence (Post 25733977)
I'd say Fowler at 3 as well given he's near the consensus in a lot of the rankings you do read by people who are paid to do this for a living.

However, I've seen him a handful of times and to be honest, I didn't come away with the impression that he's the type of defenseman that would be worthy of the #3 Overall selection. Personally, if I was a team in that slot I'd be looking for a Doughty type player. And based on the limited times I have seen Fowler, I don't think he's that guy.

I've only seen him at the WJC and CHL Top Prospects game.

I thought he was easily the most mobile, and made really good first passes. I wasn't impressed with Gormley at all and I believe Gudbranson was out. Since this draft ranking is for the Wild, I would say he would be my choice amongst the top 3 D men because we have Burns who is the complete package, Scandella and Cuma (add Falk) who can play shut-down defense, then Barker. We lack mobility and breakout (Johnsson) and I think Fowler will bring that to the NHL.

If this were a mock draft, I'd say Gudbranson because I think he has the raw potential to be the most rounded..physical, offensive, etc.

GopherState 05-10-2010 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jocksta18 (Post 25734195)
I've only seen him at the WJC and CHL Top Prospects game.

I thought he was easily the most mobile, and made really good first passes. I wasn't impressed with Gormley at all and I believe Gudbranson was out. Since this draft ranking is for the Wild, I would say he would be my choice amongst the top 3 D men because we have Burns who is the complete package, Scandella and Cuma (add Falk) who can play shut-down defense, then Barker. We lack mobility and breakout (Johnsson) and I think Fowler will bring that to the NHL.

If this were a mock draft, I'd say Gudbranson because I think he has the raw potential to be the most rounded..physical, offensive, etc.

So did you vote for Fowler or Gudbranson? Without this, I have it at Fowler (3) Gudbranson (1) so far.

Jbcraig1883 05-10-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jocksta18 (Post 25733006)
I'm with Fowler at 3 as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GopherState (Post 25740379)
So did you vote for Fowler or Gudbranson? Without this, I have it at Fowler (3) Gudbranson (1) so far.

I voted for Fowler above.

GopherState 05-10-2010 08:45 PM

Okay, I'll vote Fowler as well to make it an even five.

Onto #4...

mnwildgophers 05-10-2010 08:50 PM

#4, Gudbrandson. Lots of skill, may be the best D-man in this draft in the long run.