HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers' Top 20 Prospects POLL (#11) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=77425)

bmoak 05-12-2004 10:47 AM

Rangers' Top 20 Prospects POLL (#11)

(Oops! I forgot to attach the poll. Mods: please delete the other poll-less thread.)
Well, the Poll for the final spot in our Top 10 has enough votes to get a good sample, and Murray has a big enough lead to declare him the winner. Party on, Garth! If you haven't voted yet for #10, please do so.

I'm doubling the prospect pool for this round.

The Rangers' propsect rankings are as follows:

1) Fedor Tjutin
2) Henrik Lundqvist
3) Josef Balej
4) Hugh Jessiman
5) Thomas Pock
6) Petr Prucha
7) Maxim Kondratiev
8) Jarkko Immonen
9) Ivan Baranka
10) Garth Murray

Who is the Rangers' #11 Prospect?

Blueshirt13 05-12-2004 11:01 AM

One thing I find funny is within 5 minutes of the post going up, there are already 6 votes. You people are as bad as me checking the website while at work. Hehe

Fletch 05-12-2004 11:02 AM

Wouldn't a guy like Greg Moore...

qualify for this poll? Decent scoring numbers for a 20 year old (not great, but decent and improving). Had an important goal in the playoffs...who knows?

Rangers_23 05-12-2004 11:02 AM

Voted for Wiseman. My reasoning is that while his ceiling is much lower than some of those left on the board, he has progressed nicely this year in Hartford. Most likely is ready to contribute to the big club as a 3rd or 4th liner. Could perhaps fill in on the top 2 lines if needed.

I must admit I was very tempted to vote for Liffiton or Dawes. They are next on my list.

allrevvedup25 05-12-2004 11:06 AM

Voted for Liffiton, he sounds like a smaller Beukeboom and was a second rounder in a deep draft by a team that knows how to evaluate talent.

Larry Melnyk 05-12-2004 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
qualify for this poll? Decent scoring numbers for a 20 year old (not great, but decent and improving). Had an important goal in the playoffs...who knows?

I agree Fletch and had mentioned him previously.. And from the times I've seen him play, he should be a candidate for the 11-20 spots....

Murray at the #10 spot is the first one I kinda disagree with but this is so subjective and I am often wrong!....Still, I like Murray and think he will be a 4th liner in NY next year, but if I and many others thing he is only in the 10th-13th prospect range, then our farm system is clearly improving big time (same could be said for Liffiton!) and Sather did an excellent job (yeah, I know, some were obvious moves) at the deadline....And then there's the UMBERGER FACTOR!

As for this round, Moore, Giroux and Liffiton were the guys I had to decided from and I had to go with Moore for the reason I stated in the #10 Prospect thread...

I also think Hollweg should be added to the list soon, with theo thers already mentioned..

majicpixie 05-12-2004 11:38 AM

I voted for Chad, of course! :) He continues to improve every season, and I think he's ready to advance to the NHL. I still think he's better than just a 4th liner. He's a 1st or 2nd liner in my book, in fact, he would be on any other team.

Davisian 05-12-2004 11:52 AM

Girooouuuuuuuuux!

deathbear 05-12-2004 11:55 AM

you guys have some really good prospects.

Larry Melnyk 05-12-2004 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Davisian
Girooouuuuuuuuux!

I like this pick too...Tried to sneak in and cast a 2nd vote for him (in addition to Moore's) but was nabbed at the polls!

bmoak 05-12-2004 12:14 PM

I like Giroux. My mom ives near Binghamton, so I've seen him play afew times over the years. Has developed nicely and is versatile. Too bad we couldn't get Vermette from Ottawa, though.

True Blue 05-12-2004 12:30 PM

Same thing as I posted in the other thread, but a little more relevant now

How does Liffiton just manage to get forgotten about? He is a 19 year old, 2nd round pick by a org that knows what they are doing (Colarado) in what was a very deep draft. He plays a stay-at-home style that we crave. His skating is not horrible (for a stay-at home type). He is a very physical player. I think that he may be a better prospect than even Murray. Dawes is a long-shot, IMO. I love his speed and spunk, but his size is a VERY BIG issue. For all the accolades that players like St. Louis and Gionta get, there are just not that many Mighty Mites that make in in the NHL. Dawes does have talent and LOTS of speed, but is that going to translate into the NHL? We'll have to see. I certainly hope so.
Liffiton, on the other hand, has good size and is more than willing to use it. Dawes may have more talent, but I think that Liffiton is the more likely to make it in the NHL. For those of you that like Jake Taylor, how can you not like Liffiton? He is every bit as physical, though not as nasty, and is a better skater. I think that Liffiton will make Ranger fans very happy in the future.
I actually don't know if Garth Murray is a better prospect than Liffiton.

Kubera55 05-12-2004 12:35 PM

Went with D.Moore. I think he and Garth are near locks to make the Rangers out of Camp next season (whenever that is). Both are probably only 3rd/4th line guys, but their fiesty and fast. Murray's bigger, nastier, and younger, so I gave him the edge. But Moore's got much better hockey sense, scoring ability, and has some face-off skills.

Giroux and Wiseman are both good AHL players, but given their level of experience and physical skills, I tend to think they are what they are. I put them in the same grouping as Lawrence Nycholat and Layne Ullmer. Good guys, could still surprise me, but I'm not expecting them to make any NHL noise.

Liffiton, Dawes, and Jonasen are probably my next grouping . . .

in the hall 05-12-2004 12:45 PM

Nigel Dawes Nigel Dawes Nigel Dawes Nigel Dawes Nigel Dawes Nigel Dawes Nigel Dawes

no doubt about it

E-Train 05-12-2004 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
For those of you that like Jake Taylor, how can you not like Liffiton? He is every bit as physical, though not as nasty, and is a better skater. I think that Liffiton will make Ranger fans very happy in the future.

I like Jake Taylor and I like Liffiton. For this poll Liffiton was my vote here because, as you mentioned, his being a second round pick in a very deep draft by an organization that has drafted well.

I am voting blindly though because, like most of us here, I have never seen Liffiton play, just going by perception really. Taylor could turn out to be a better NHLer than Liffiton, you never know.

True Blue 05-12-2004 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E-Train
Taylor could turn out to be a better NHLer than Liffiton, you never know.

There are 2 main differences between the 2, IMO. Both are physical and both are more than willing to drop the gloves, but Taylor is just plain NASTY to play against. Liffiton, on the other hand, is the better skater and makes a much better break-out pass. Taylor makes life miserable for other teams forwards in front of his own net becuase is just that nasty, borderline dirty. Liffiton, while just as physical, is not as nasty and is not dirty, IMO. However, again, his skating is much better than Taylor's is. Taylor' skating may be the one thing that prevents him from making it to the NHL. Liffiton does not face the same problem.

Mr Brownstone 05-12-2004 04:27 PM

By request I voted for Wiseman, but it's really Nigel Dawes. :D

Barnaby 05-12-2004 04:29 PM

Liffiton

E-Train 05-12-2004 05:04 PM

Quote:

There are 2 main differences between the 2, IMO. Both are physical and both are more than willing to drop the gloves, but Taylor is just plain NASTY to play against. Liffiton, on the other hand, is the better skater and makes a much better break-out pass. Taylor makes life miserable for other teams forwards in front of his own net becuase is just that nasty, borderline dirty. Liffiton, while just as physical, is not as nasty and is not dirty, IMO. However, again, his skating is much better than Taylor's is. Taylor' skating may be the one thing that prevents him from making it to the NHL. Liffiton does not face the same problem.

I know what you're saying but have you seen both of them play? I saw Taylor in those two playoff games on MSG and have never seen Liffiton, clearly not enough to project futures for either of them. I can only go on the reports about Liffiton that you are describing. IMO Taylor's skating was not bad, certainly no worse than Purinton or Cairns. Don't get me wrong I am very excited that the Rangers have a prospect of Liffiton's overall package but I am still not discounting Taylor because he was a 6th round pick. Park #2 & Reveille have good things to say about Taylor and thats good enough for me. Most of us here will never have the prospect knowledge that those guys & Edge do, so I value their opinions.

True Blue 05-12-2004 05:23 PM

Quote:

I know what you're saying but have you seen both of them play?

Caught one of Liffiton's games. Not enough to make a full-hearted judgement, however, between that and other reports I can make an educated guess.

BDubinskyNYR17* 05-12-2004 05:37 PM

Quote:

I like Jake Taylor and I like Liffiton. For this poll Liffiton was my vote here because, as you mentioned, his being a second round pick in a very deep draft by an organization that has drafted well.

I am voting blindly though because, like most of us here, I have never seen Liffiton play, just going by perception really. Taylor could turn out to be a better NHLer than Liffiton, you never know.

I voted for Hollweg. I think he can become another Theo Fleury without the problems. I feel he is one of those players who excell wherever he goes. He played well in the WHL, had good numbers then went to Wolfpack and got hurt, he recovered, played pretty well after injury, is captain of the team and his team won the championship, i feel he will be one of those players who always works to be the best player he can be, and I feel he will excell at everything he does.

True Blue 05-12-2004 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41
I think he can become another Theo Fleury without the problems.

There are reaches and then there are REACHES. Projecting Hollyweg to be another Fluery is incredibly unrealistic. He has not displayed 1/100th of the scoring ability of Theo.

EvilCorporateLawyer 05-12-2004 07:48 PM

Quote:

There are reaches and then there are REACHES. Projecting Hollyweg to be another Fluery is incredibly unrealistic. He has not displayed 1/100th of the scoring ability of Theo.

Exactly! Right now he doesn't even project to be anything more than a 3rd liner IF THAT to me right now.

Theo Fleury? YEAH RIGHT.

I love the kid. I lvoe his attitude. And I love his game. But no way in hell is he another Theo.

Barnaby 05-12-2004 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reveille
Exactly! Right now he doesn't even project to be anything more than a 3rd liner IF THAT to me right now.

Theo Fleury? YEAH RIGHT.

I love the kid. I lvoe his attitude. And I love his game. But no way in hell is he another Theo.

C'mon we're all being realistic here...

Dawes = St Louis
Hollweg = Fleury
Balej = Bondra
Jessiman = Betuzzi

;)

Belarus Rocket 05-12-2004 08:48 PM

I voted For Alexandre Giroux