HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Final Prospects Rankings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=77479)

Blueshirt13 05-12-2004 02:49 PM

Final Prospects Rankings

Final rankings came out for NA and Euro skaters and goalies. There are some big movers on the list. I will note them as soon as i find my old mid-term rankings

http://nhl.com/futures/2004draft/fin...ngs051204.html

HockeyBurd* 05-12-2004 03:43 PM

The things that initialy jump out at me are that Alexandrov is 8th among Euro's and ahead of Radulov, Ladd has moved up to first in NA, Valabik is 6th in NA and Picard is 3rd. Valabik's stock is through the roof. The only way we'll probably land him is if we take him 6th and I doubt we should gamble that much with the 6th pick. Looks to me like our top choices are Ladd, Olesz, Barker, Tukonen and Picard.

Anyway, interesting list. I love when the final list comes out. :jump:

Bluenote13 05-12-2004 03:59 PM

Well, i liked that Ladd is getting recognized, but don't like the idea
that we may lose out at getting him at #6.

Lots of players I like moved up - Valabik to #6 ! And i was being told he won't go top ten :p: Bolland up two spots, Kris Chucko from 61 to 29(Slats has to get this guy early in round 2), Thelen from 16 to 11, Wharton 17 to 13(would be a great pick with our 2nd 1st rounder), Zajac from 20 to 15(he'll go first round, or will be one of the first few picks in 2nd), Graham from 40 to 14, Meszaros from 9 to 6, Andy Rogers from 34 to 24, Nokelainen from 17 to 10, Korpikoski from 156 to 12(hmm, bit of a jump, worthy of it), Lisin from 19 to 13.

I don't agree with:
Mikka Tuomainen from 50 to 104, should be higher.
Keith Yandle from 67 to 76, he should've at least stayed at 67, will be a very good offensive college D-man.
Kevin Schaeffer from 106 to 129, solid Freshman year.

IMO, CSB did a better job on these final rankings than the mids, not bad overall.

Draft Guru 05-12-2004 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockeyBurd
The things that initialy jump out at me are that Alexandrov is 8th among Euro's and ahead of Radulov, Ladd has moved up to first in NA, Valabik is 6th in NA and Picard is 3rd. Valabik's stock is through the roof. The only way we'll probably land him is if we take him 6th and I doubt we should gamble that much with the 6th pick. Looks to me like our top choices are Ladd, Olesz, Barker, Tukonen and Picard.

Anyway, interesting list. I love when the final list comes out. :jump:

I don't think Valabik will go top 10, regardless of his high ranking. I think Thelen (ranked 11th) will definitely go before him.

I still think Valabik will go somewhere in the 12-18 range.

I want to get Ladd, Barker or Olesz. Hopefully one of them falls to us.

Larry Melnyk 05-12-2004 04:03 PM

You mean when "one of the final lists" come out...:)..From all the Rankings I've seen, after the first three of OMO it becomes pretty much a jumble.....Was surprised at the fall in the rankings of Schremp (I'm sure the PO benchings didn't help!) and Radulov, especially Radulov who has climbed way up in every other ranking after being a standout in his last two spring tournaments...His fall (only one place) in the CSS doesn't seem right.. Then again, like our ongoing Draft poll, there is still alot of subjectivity..And I like Radulov.!!! :).....For the Europeans, Tukonen (+6) and Alexandrov (+12) moved up alot while D-men like Valabik (+7) and Thelen (+6) as well as Wheeler really zoomed up the charts for US players...

The way I see it is that the top 3 of OMO will be gone by the time we draft as probably will be a D-man (Barker) whicj will give the Rangers a good shot at one of Ladd, Tukonen, Radulov, Stafford, CHipachura, Thelen and whoever else...

ECL 05-12-2004 04:04 PM

I just want to know how the hell Alexandrov is up so high now.

ECL 05-12-2004 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry Melnyk
You mean when "one of the final lists" come out...:)..From all the Rankings I've seen, after the first three of OMO it becomes pretty much a jumble.....Was surprised at the fall in the rankings of Schremp (I'm sure the PO benchings didn't help!) and Radulov, especially Radulov who has climbed way up in every other ranking after being a standout in his last two spring tournaments...His fall (only one place) in the CSS doesn't seem right.. Then again, like our ongoing Draft poll, there is still alot of subjectivity..And I like Radulov.!!! :).....For the Europeans, Tukonen (+6) and Alexandrov (+12) moved up alot while D-men like Valabik (+7) and Thelen (+6) as well as Wheeler really zoomed up the charts for US players...

The way I see it is that the top 3 of OMO will be gone by the time we draft as probably will be a D-man (Barker) whicj will give the Rangers a good shot at one of Ladd, Tukonen, Radulov, Stafford, CHipachura, Thelen and whoever else...

I agree. And I'm really starting to think they should take Thelen with that first pick. And I think they just might...

Fletch 05-12-2004 04:13 PM

Was gonna mention Schremp, too, LM...

and since I've posted this, I guess I have mentioned Schremp. #10 NA skater...how far can he fall in the draft? Perhaps he ends up being a steal for someone. But, I think the chances of the Rangers getting Ladd are waning (good call by Edge, by the way, picking a guy who's moved up a bit). Personally, I think the Rangers will do pretty well with their first pick - there's at least seven good prospects in this draft and they'll likely get one of them. Doubt it's Ovechkin, Barker or Ladd though.

Question on Radulov...what do people know about him? All I see is a guy who played in less games than Ovechkin, on the same team, and scored more goals, had more points (and a ton of PIMs), and who's 10 months younger and who has decent height 6'1 (but's only 178 lbs, but at 17, he may still grow). Can this kid not skate? Are there other problems? Was he playing on a 'second' line and was protected with Ovechkin ahead of him - or was he on Ovechkin's line, and Ovechkin was double and triple teamed leaving him free to skate at hie leisure? What's the story?

ECL 05-12-2004 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch
and since I've posted this, I guess I have mentioned Schremp. #10 NA skater...how far can he fall in the draft? Perhaps he ends up being a steal for someone. But, I think the chances of the Rangers getting Ladd are waning (good call by Edge, by the way, picking a guy who's moved up a bit). Personally, I think the Rangers will do pretty well with their first pick - there's at least seven good prospects in this draft and they'll likely get one of them. Doubt it's Ovechkin, Barker or Ladd though.

Ones that we KNOW they won't get: Ovechkin, Malkin

Possibilities: Olesz, Ladd, Barker, Tukonen, Thelen, Schremp, Radulov.

Any of those guys there will make me smile (besides Tukonen).

Barnaby 05-12-2004 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reveille

It's all good.... just no Schremp or Tukonen with the #6 pick.

Larry Melnyk 05-12-2004 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletch

Question on Radulov...what do people know about him? All I see is a guy who played in less games than Ovechkin, on the same team, and scored more goals, had more points (and a ton of PIMs), and who's 10 months younger and who has decent height 6'1 (but's only 178 lbs, but at 17, he may still grow). Can this kid not skate? Are there other problems? Was he playing on a 'second' line and was protected with Ovechkin ahead of him - or was he on Ovechkin's line, and Ovechkin was double and triple teamed leaving him free to skate at hie leisure? What's the story?

From everything I've read, Radulov's skating, stickwork, scoring and passing are close to the best, if not THE best, in the draft when taken as a package (after Ovechkin and Malikin). He has totally shined in big games and was one of the best players to be found in Russia's U-18's last two tournaments. The kid has the skill in spades...However, The knock on Radulov is that's he's hard-headed, stubborn, and clashes with his coach during the regular season....Still, they say he rarely floats and plays a very enrgetic two-way game all the time....At the latest U-18 Worlds he was on a line with VOlosheko and seen by many as the catylst of that line...is he a headstrong teenager or a problem child?

Fletch 05-12-2004 04:33 PM

I do sit here and wonder...

what Sather is going to do. If Barker is somehow available at the #6 spot, and Sather decides to go defense, will he then make a move for the #9 or #10 spot if Radulov, Tukonen, Olesz or someone is still somehow available? I'm almost thinking that Lundmark +the other #1, or one of the #2 picks may be on the table. Further, with the $1 million in savings, Umberger's a Ranger, but after he goes to 'auction', which Sather may believe won't return Umberger the amount he's seeking, and thus Sather will be able to get the second round pick, plus Umberger for cheaper than he would had he signed him now, quite possibly. It's a gamble, so it's not that far-fetched for the arrogant Sather - and if Umberger's a Pens fan, he likely remembers Jagr, and while PITT may get a hometown discount, the prospect of playing with Jags may be a bit enticing too. [OK, it is far-fetched, but I woke up thinking about that whole scenario and it took me all day to piece it back together.]

True Blue 05-12-2004 04:35 PM

Quote:

We should be able to nab one of Olesz, Barker, Ladd, or Schremp.
One thing that jumped out at me was that Green has passed Thelen in the rankings. I had thought Thelen to be a better prospect than either Valabik or Green. Still do. If Barker was to fall to us @ 6, it would be a gift.

ECL 05-12-2004 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
We should be able to nab one of Olesz, Barker, Ladd, or Schremp.
One thing that jumped out at me was that Green has passed Thelen in the rankings. I had thought Thelen to be a better prospect than either Valabik or Green. Still do. If Barker was to fall to us @ 6, it would be a gift.

It's the CSS. Those rankings are so pointless to me and most people out there.

Thelen >>>>>> Green.

Bluenote13 05-12-2004 05:05 PM

Quote:

Thelen >>>>>> Green.

I've been a big Thelen supporter, was one of the first to mention him in the top 10, along with Valabik. But i wouldn't say they are miles ahead of Green. Thelen's offense is what keeps him rated higher, but Green is no slouch. He can skate, he can hit with the best of them, he's tough, mature, and can join the rush. The knock is he's only 6'1. Only? Are we still talking about 6'1 defensders being small when Barrett Jackman and players like him continue to prove they can be solid NHL D-men?

I'd take Thelen & Big Boris ahead of him, but Green is not a bad pick either.

Larry Melnyk 05-12-2004 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13
I've been a big Thelen supporter, was one of the first to mention him in the top 10, along with Valabik. But i wouldn't say they are miles ahead of Green. Thelen's offense is what keeps him rated higher, but Green is no slouch. He can skate, he can hit with the best of them, he's tough, mature, and can join the rush. The knock is he's only 6'1. Only? Are we still talking about 6'1 defensders being small when Barrett Jackman and players like him continue to prove they can be solid NHL D-men?

I'd take Thelen & Big Boris ahead of him, but Green is not a bad pick either.

From the beginning I've had Radulov and Thelen and my top choices for the #6 spot...I really love what THELEN did at MSU as not only a freshman but, I think, as the youngest player in NCAA Division I Hockey...An ALL-AMERICAN (EAST), and ALL-Conference, top 5-7 in goals/scoring Nationwide and a big, strong, fast kid who can play physical even ioffense is his strong suit right now...I like him better than Barker...

Bluenote13 05-12-2004 05:29 PM

Quote:

From the beginning I've had Radulov and Thelen and my top choices for the #6 spot...I really love what THELEN did at MSU as not only a freshman but, I think, as the youngest player in NCAA Division I Hockey...An ALL-AMERICAN (EAST), and ALL-Conference, top 5-7 in goals/scoring Nationwide and a big, strong, fast kid who can play physical even ioffense is his strong suit right now...I like him better than Barker...

I'd take him over Barker as well. ;)

ECL 05-12-2004 06:15 PM

Thelen, to me, IS miles ahead of Green. Green has limited potential as a 3/4 guy in my eyes. Thelen is not only better than him now, but can be a bonafide #1 all-star defenseman.

Forechecker 05-12-2004 06:27 PM

I was told by one agent that the CSB rankings were only slightly better than throwing darts at a board. Look at how many prep school skaters there are on the North American list. While some may merit being there, I really doubt many are among the best in the world.

That's another thing, why continue to have separate NA/Euro lists? Why not combine all skaters and all goalies?

kickice 05-12-2004 06:42 PM

Quote:

From everything I've read, Radulov's skating, stickwork, scoring and passing are close to the best, if not THE best, in the draft when taken as a package (after Ovechkin and Malikin). He has totally shined in big games and was one of the best players to be found in Russia's U-18's last two tournaments. The kid has the skill in spades...However, The knock on Radulov is that's he's hard-headed, stubborn, and clashes with his coach during the regular season....

Isn't there a knock on Ovechkin too, that he may have some 'issues'?

Way I look at it is, many a kid seems to have issues, every draft year there seems to be a load of them highly touted, who seemingly have issues.

Who knows who may be a steal or a bust. If a player like Radulov (or Schremp) for that matter, has a load more talent to others available the same time as them in the draft. I say - pick the 'problem child'. Who knows what will happen. A safe pick often dissapears down the line anyway, and a young player with so called issues and an ego as large as Russia when he was 18 can mature in his early twenties. If a player like this is available, I say go for it. Cos the Rangers have a few picks in the top 2 rounds. If they only had 2 picks in the first two rounds, then yeah, go for the safe picks, and hope they work out. But I think it's worth taking a chance with one pick if we can, on a super talented youngster who might need a few ego's knocked out of him.

Edge 05-13-2004 11:54 PM

Final CSB's

For those keeping track at home

The final CSB's have been posted {this shoudlnt be deleted because it's on the rangers official website at www.newyorkrangers.com}

Andrew Ladd finished were I predicted he would several weeks ago, at the number one spot for north american skaters.

Robbie Schremp fell to number 10.

Valabik skyrocketed into the top ten.

Chipchura fell three spots.

Picard suprised me by climbing to number three {though he deserves it}.

Just found it interesting.

Bluenote13 05-14-2004 12:24 AM

Yeah, wasn't there a thread on this already? :p:

It's a big tease to me Edge, I really would like Ladd or Thelen, but now
i'm not sure what we'll be looking at for the #6 overall. Maybe Olesz, that'd
be fine with me, but for now i can't see him lasting past Columbus or Phoenix.

Edge, where do you predict Bruce Graham will go in the draft? Travis Zajac?

Edge 05-14-2004 01:55 AM

I looked and didn't see one, if there was one I apologize.

It's going to be very interesting how things shake down. I just can't see the Rangers passing Ladd for Schremp, but I think Ladd will go either to Columbus or Phoenix.

I liked seeing Picard get some credit. He's one of my favorite players to come out of the Q in a loooong time.

Graham IMO will go anywhere between 13-30 with my personal guess being the early 20's. He's a big guy and a team picking around the 20 spot can at least afford to take a gamble on him. Forget 6'6, he looks like he could be closer to 6'7 and even end up at 6'8. If he progresses and grows into his somewhat awkward body right now, he could be a great pick.

I love Zajac. I've only seen him twice, but what I saw was a kid who could translate into a solid {unspectacular} but solid top 6 forward,

Edge 05-14-2004 08:12 AM

I apologize,i totally missed this thread {a mod can feel free to combine mine into this}.

As for Thelen, it reminds me a lot of the four top defenseman from last year.

Green is the safe and steady kid who could be a nice but unspectacular player, consider him the mark stuart.

Valabik is the nasty SOB who catches your eye with his toughness, but he is raw and is going to need some time. He is tempting like Phaneuf was.

Barker is the advanced kid out of the WHL who is probably the best right now, he is the Coburn of the group.

Thelen is similar to Suter though in that he might just be the best overall of the three in the long run by having just enough of the other three guys in his games makeup.

SingnBluesOnBroadway 05-14-2004 08:25 AM

So merged.