HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Preds Sign Jani Lajunen to 3 yr ELC (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=775140)

Seth Lake 05-12-2010 01:06 PM

Preds Sign Jani Lajunen to 3 yr ELC

Quote:

Nashville Predators President of Hockey Operations/General Manager David Poile announced today that the club has signed 2008 draft pick Jani Lajunen (LA-hoo-nehn) to a three-year entry-level contract.

Lajunen, 19 (6/16/90), spent his first full season in the Finnish Elite League with Espoo in 2009-10, tying for the team lead in plus/minus rating (+4) and posting 15 points (5g-9a) in 46 games. The 6-1, 184-pound two-way center also participated in his second consecutive World Junior Championship tournament in 2010, tying for third on Team Finland in points (1g-5a-6pts) and tying for second on the team in assists.

The Helsinki native was Nashville's sixth choice, 201st overall (seventh round), in 2008 Entry Draft.
http://predators.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=528958

Will be interesting to see if they plan to send him to Milwaukee next season or allow him to be sent back to Espoo to develop one more season before making the leap to North America...

Still need to sign goalies Anders Lindback and Atte Engren and forward Niko Snellman prior to June 1st in order to avoid losing their rights...

Personally, I like both goaltending prospects and really hope we reach deals with them to keep them in the fold, but Snellman has done nothing since being drafted and I wouldn't lose any sleep over him being let go...

Joe T Choker 05-12-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 25771863)

Will be interesting to see if they plan to send him to Milwaukee next season or allow him to be sent back to Espoo to develop one more season before making the leap to North America...

Still need to sign goalies Anders Lindback and Atte Engren and forward Niko Snellman prior to June 1st in order to avoid losing their rights...

Personally, I like both goaltending prospects and really hope we reach deals with them to keep them in the fold, but Snellman has done nothing since being drafted and I wouldn't lose any sleep over him being let go...

couldn't agree more

BigFatCat999 05-12-2010 03:28 PM

So do we expect a wave of signings soon?

worstfaceoffmanever 05-12-2010 03:39 PM

I halfway expected this move. We're short on centers for Milwaukee next fall, so Lajunen should slot in comfortably on the third line unless additional moves are made.

ChadS 05-12-2010 03:54 PM

I can't really see Lajunen becoming a regular NHLer in 3 years. He could develop in to a good AHLer but he needs a couple of more years to make it in the NHL. He's a really long time prospect for Nashville, he wasn't even close to a treath in Finland this year.

thomast 05-14-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChadS (Post 25775110)
I can't really see Lajunen becoming a regular NHLer in 3 years. He could develop in to a good AHLer but he needs a couple of more years to make it in the NHL. He's a really long time prospect for Nashville, he wasn't even close to a treath in Finland this year.

You are underestimating him. He had very good rookie year in FEL in young team. Hes great in 2 way play. He's tough and gritty. I see him as a 3rd line NHLer with 40-50 points every year and good 2way play. He made those 15 points in 4th line in FEL and has +4 rating which were best in weak team. He should play 1 year at FEL and 1 year in AHL before NHL or 2 years in AHL. Don't expect him to be 1-2line player more like great 3rd liner center or 4th line center in deep team.

Enoch 05-14-2010 01:08 PM

40-50 points is 1st line material on the Predators.

mattihp 05-14-2010 01:12 PM

The pronunciation tip is not so good.

Lah-yuh-nehn is more like it.

worstfaceoffmanever 05-14-2010 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattihp (Post 25818043)
The pronunciation tip is not so good.

Lah-yuh-nehn is more like it.

That's what TSN has been using for the WJCs over the past two years, so that's what I was going with.

I don't really expect Lajunen to amount to much in the NHL. I would be thrilled if he can be a 35-40 point third line center. He has decent wheels and good hustle, which will go a long way in this organization.

Tony Piscotta 05-29-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 25771863)

Not sure about Lindback but Engren was just signed. Kind of doubt you'll see Snellman signed. Barely cracked the lineup for a weak Ilves team this year. Is little more than a crash and bang guy to this point and there are other players of this style readily available in North America. But he is still young.

Seth Lake 05-29-2010 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tony Piscotta (Post 26047591)
Not sure about Lindback but Engren was just signed. Kind of doubt you'll see Snellman signed. Barely cracked the lineup for a weak Ilves team this year. Is little more than a crash and bang guy to this point and there are other players of this style readily available in North America. But he is still young.

The Predators are now done with prospect signings leading up to the June 1st deadline. Lindback, Josi, and Engren were all signed this week and it appears that Snellman and Sjodin will both have their rights expire, but as you pointed out, neither has done anything to earn a contract.

The Preds have now signed all of their 2007 and 2008 draft picks not currently playing in the NCAA.