HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Does anyone still use the full clear face shield? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=775184)

Lario Melieux* 05-12-2010 02:48 PM

Does anyone still use the full clear face shield?
 
I just recently took my cage off for the summer, and I really don't want to go back to it next season and sacrifice the vision. I'm considering going to a full clear face shield, but the fact that I haven't seen anyone using it since Pee-Wees kind of makes me hesitant.

Why is it that no one uses the clear shield? High school kids use cages, NCAA use cages, NHL players with broken jaws use cages. But why not the clear shield?

http://www.kempshockey.com/mask2003/itechMITIIC.jpg

jagged 05-12-2010 03:13 PM

my friend used that exact same one... he said ventilation is poor... he ended up going with a bauer x100 half shield

Danrik 05-12-2010 03:55 PM

My brother uses one of those, so do a few guys in our league but most who want full protection will wear a cage. I think it fogs up too easily.

doobie604 05-12-2010 04:25 PM

yup mainly fog issue. once you're use to the cage, there is no vision issues.

sbkbghockey 05-12-2010 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lario Melieux (Post 25773781)
I just recently took my cage off for the summer, and I really don't want to go back to it next season and sacrifice the vision. I'm considering going to a full clear face shield, but the fact that I haven't seen anyone using it since Pee-Wees kind of makes me hesitant.

Why is it that no one uses the clear shield? High school kids use cages, NCAA use cages, NHL players with broken jaws use cages. But why not the clear shield

I've seen some HS kids wearing them. In NCAA/ACHA its common to have a few players on most teams wearing them. Some guys love them and would never wear a cage (Idk why? I like the cage much better, but whatever...)
http://statenews.com/media/00/00/03/...U12_030708.jpg

http://www.bgsufalcons.com/images/20...bration181.jpg

meanolthing 05-12-2010 08:41 PM

I've heard announcers refer to those shields as 'fishbowls' :-P, you occasionally see pro's wearing them. I prefer my cage, if only for the freer airflow.

densetsu 05-13-2010 12:35 AM

I've never worn one, but it looks like with the limited airflow it'd trap heat in there very easily.

Also, like others have said, fog.

Cartered 05-13-2010 12:42 AM

I wore this for the better part of two years back in high school.

It fogged up a ton. Even using some anti-fog solution, I had to wipe it down and respray between each period. Also, ventilation is an issue.

I switched to a black full cage and didn't look back. Easier to breathe and no fog.

gogio57 05-13-2010 12:59 AM

i use one now, i spray mine with fog spray every other time i play and i have hever had fog problems, i love the vision with the visor and the protection, i think people just people are afraid to be different and be made fun of for the "fishbowl"

Lario Melieux* 05-13-2010 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gogio57 (Post 25793758)
i use one now, i spray mine with fog spray every other time i play and i have hever had fog problems, i love the vision with the visor and the protection, i think people just people are afraid to be different and be made fun of for the "fishbowl"

Yeah that's kind of what I figured, as well as the fog issue. I really couldn't care less about looks (Played half season with old jagr/forsberg jofa helmet and Bauer Supreme skates), so I might pick one up and give it a try.

I'm used to playing with a cage, but clear vision just seems so much better, and harder for me to get away from now that I've had the cage off for a little while.

ShyCheetah 05-13-2010 05:05 AM

I use one and never had issues with fog or heat, pretty much performed as well as a half sheild. In fact I was thinking of upgrading to that new one with the replacable lenses. Supposed to be lighter with better sightlines out the bottom.

Shy

Jarick 05-13-2010 09:09 AM

Tried for two games, I couldn't see at all because of the fog. I'd literally have to get off the ice because I couldn't see the puck.

Exchanged it for a Bauer 9500...lightest, thinnest, least distracting cage on the market. Way more air flow, no fog, and I've never noticed the bars.

noobman 05-13-2010 09:35 AM

Ventilation and fog. I wear my glasses when I play, so a full face shield would just add a second thing I have to clean after every shift.

I only have one friend that uses the full face shield. Most of the guys I play with now use the half-visor. The older guys either go without a face mask or with a full cage.

Devil Dancer 05-13-2010 02:15 PM

I wear one, and I generally like it. I tried the cage, and it made me feel claustrophobic and I couldn't see the puck well enough, so I went with the full shield. It does fog up, but it usually isn't a problem if I use glass cleaner on both sides before every game. I do have to do it every game though, or it is a problem.

Interestingly it only fogs up when I'm on the bench. It seems to go away as soon as I hit the ice, possibly because the movement creates air flow.

My last time with a cage was years ago, so I might give it another try some time, just to avoid the fog problem.

noobman 05-13-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Devil Dancer (Post 25801843)
I wear one, and I generally like it. I tried the cage, and it made me feel claustrophobic and I couldn't see the puck well enough, so I went with the full shield. It does fog up, but it usually isn't a problem if I use glass cleaner on both sides before every game. I do have to do it every game though, or it is a problem.

Interestingly it only fogs up when I'm on the bench. It seems to go away as soon as I hit the ice, possibly because the movement creates air flow.

My last time with a cage was years ago, so I might give it another try some time, just to avoid the fog problem.

It's the cooler air from the ice. Move your head closer to the ice surface and lower to the ground while you're on the bench and the fogging will be reduced. I have the same problem with my glasses.

Devil Dancer 05-13-2010 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 25802086)
It's the cooler air from the ice. Move your head closer to the ice surface and lower to the ground while you're on the bench and the fogging will be reduced. I have the same problem with my glasses.

That explains why mine doesn't fog up too much. I'm only 5'6!

jmbjmb 06-15-2010 11:44 AM

I have been wearing this type of shield for years. It's the best of both worlds.. full facial protection, not as hot and foggy as full plastic shields, and a clearer view (in my opinion) than a full wire cage....

http://www.paragonsports.com/images/...8_clear_pd.jpg

budster 06-15-2010 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmbjmb (Post 26297891)
I have been wearing this type of shield for years. It's the best of both worlds.. full facial protection, not as hot and foggy as full plastic shields, and a clearer view (in my opinion) than a full wire cage....

Dude! Those mess me up so bad. I normally wear a full cage, but I've been toying with the idea of the full clear shield. Like others have stated, fog is the main concern. I ran some tests using a tea kettle to produce stream. Check out the results of household items that prevent your helmet shield from fogging up. I'm curious to know what's worked for others.

sherwood sniper 06-15-2010 03:30 PM

I used one for a little while. Fog, breathability ( Don't think that's a word) and believe it or not, scratches led to its new home, the garbage.

Fog: It is what is what is. They fog up more than a half shield because they are taller, closer to your mouth. Best thing I used was straight dawn, no water. Basically think of how you wax your car, same steps apply.

Breathing: For some this might not be an issue. I grew up with asthma and the lack of airflow really sucked at times. Also because of the flow problem, inside the fishbowl get substantially hotter than with a cage/ nothing.

Scratches: If your playing men's or pick up, this wont be as much of a problem. However, if your some one who plays very physical, and are always mixing it up and battling in the corners, be prepared for some damage. I also had one actually crack horizontally from a cross check. That sucked to finish the game with and was the last time I wore one.

Just my opinion...hope it helps.

MNWild9 06-15-2010 06:28 PM

I have a Zleader brand one I used it for a season but i switched to a Bauer Aviator half shield now i'm wearing a Oakley Pro Stock half shield I like the Full but theres something about a half shield i like a bit more.

jacko23 06-17-2010 08:45 AM

i use an ITECH full shield (i forget the model) and i dont have any complaints. it took a little getting used to because your depth perception is thrown off a bit when you are looking through the plastic, then you look at the puck through a hole in the plastic. i have minimal fog issues, but its nothing a finger wipe cant fix.

Fixed to Ruin 06-17-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sherwood sniper (Post 26301811)
Scratches: If your playing men's or pick up, this wont be as much of a problem. However, if your some one who plays very physical, and are always mixing it up and battling in the corners, be prepared for some damage. I also had one actually crack horizontally from a cross check. That sucked to finish the game with and was the last time I wore one.

This.

I got one way back when I was 13 years old, the league I was in wasn't overly physical. Then around 15, when I went up in the ranks, my shield was starting to get scratches from getting sticks in the face and battling along the boards.

I took it off the night after i got cross-checked in the face and the blue paint from the opposing players stick left a big blue scratch in the visor.

Cages are a much better investment. One cage should last you a lifetime in most cases and have less problems in general.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.