HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   5/12 Discussion - Kyle Brodziak Expectations (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=775233)

GopherState 05-12-2010 05:25 PM

5/12 Discussion - Kyle Brodziak Expectations

After being acquired in a draft-day trade, Brodziak scored a career-high 32 points, finished -3 and was shuffled along various lines throughout the year. Rather streaky, Kyle had stretches where he would be invisible for a month followed by a week long scoring streak. With that said, without Belanger and most likely Ebbett, what are your expectations for Brodziak next year?

State of Hockey 05-12-2010 06:10 PM

More of the same. He'll probably get more ice and better linemates that he deserves, and that will pad his stats.

If you look hard at what Brodziak did last year, he was a disappointment. His goal total was the lowest of his career, and that was playing with better linemates and ice time. his stone hands were very evident. And most importantly, he was far from a faceoff ace. In fact his numbers short handed, and cumulatively, were borderline poor.

With that said he has the potential to bounce back to an Edmonton level of play, but even that is not the improvement over it that we wanted to see.

GopherState 05-12-2010 06:18 PM

That's not true at all - 0 and 1 are fewer than 9.

saywut 05-12-2010 07:06 PM

Kyle was brought in as a depth forward familiar with Todd Richards and the system he planned on using, with the versatility to play all 3 forward positions(though he played C exclusively). Its not his fault that at times he was our 2nd best center, but he clearly does not belong in the top-6. The line of him, Kobasew, and Clutterbuck played fairly well, and could be re-united next year as our 3rd line.

Goldy 05-12-2010 08:59 PM

He's a third liner, nothing more. He's a good fit for the system, and we got him for next to nothing. Not a bad pickup, but not a difference maker either.

mnwildgophers 05-12-2010 09:55 PM

I expect Brodziak to play a 3rd line center taking big draws and playing the PK. That's where he's a good fit and that's where he will hopefully play.

firstroundbust 05-12-2010 10:23 PM

Brodz doesn't have the hands to be anything more than our checking line center. So, as long as he keeps doing what he does, then I'm fine with that.

BigT2002 05-13-2010 04:16 AM

He wants to have his checking role back, and that was quoted by Russo from him. He isn't meant to be a scorer nor play the kind of minutes he was playing. Basically he needs to be 3rd line with Clutterbuck and probably Kobasew next year.

Jarick 05-13-2010 09:22 AM

Brodziak is a great skater and likely a great team guy. Strong defensive player. Because we don't have a traditional checking "third" line, I see him as a fourth line center, an energy guy. I'd rather have Wellman between Kobasew and Clutterbuck because those two can score, and Brodziak just can't. Brodz with Boogaard and whomever on the RW, then lots of PK time.

Edit: Wellman obviously, not Weller.

mnwildgophers 05-13-2010 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 25796824)
Brodziak is a great skater and likely a great team guy. Strong defensive player. Because we don't have a traditional checking "third" line, I see him as a fourth line center, an energy guy. I'd rather have Wellman between Kobasew and Clutterbuck because those two can score, and Brodziak just can't. Brodz with Boogaard and whomever on the RW, then lots of PK time.

I could see this, but he's also Richard's favorite guy, so we know he'll get plenty of minutes.

BigT2002 05-13-2010 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 25796824)

What two can score??? Wellman could score, but Clutterbuck still can't hit the broad side of a barn if he tried. .096% shooting. 136 Shots on Goal with only 13 goals.....

GopherState 05-13-2010 01:07 PM

Wellman had one goal in like thirteen games though.

BigT2002 05-13-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GopherState (Post 25800569)
Wellman had one goal in like thirteen games though.

18 SOG @ .056%. Considering linemates....that isn't too bad.

Jarick 05-13-2010 01:48 PM

Wellman has speed and a fantastic shot. If he gets stronger he'll be just fine. Few people enter the NHL at their peak.

Clutterbuck also has an amazing shot, top three on the team IMO. His biggest problem is not being able to bring the puck into the offensive zone or getting into scoring position. Sometimes he will sneak a goal with a wrist shot from the top of the circles at a funny angle...which is very impressive considering he's facing NHL goalies. But he's going to have to get into the slot to score more goals, and he'll have to play with guys that can hold onto and dish the puck.

rynryn 05-13-2010 07:33 PM

Brodziak's hands are really, really bad. I think he's a valuable guy to have (an upgrade over Veillieux, who I also appreciated) but he has no ability to steer the puck whatsoever. I expect he'll be in a defensive role most of the time. He has the hustle to get into some decent scoring positions but just can't capitalize! If i wasn't as worried about his passing accuracy in those situations I'd say pair him with a speedy scorer (wellman) and just tell him to dish it to whoever is closest to the net.

Clutterbuck has no aim either. Players have said he has an excellent shot and we can see it from time to time but...I don't see him effective as the guy who looks to get in a scoring position as his main objective. Stick to what you're great at, and work on that aim. I expect his goal totals will go up marginally next season and his hitting will decrease a little.

Jarick 05-14-2010 01:23 PM

Have you watched Clutter in practice though? He was beating the goalies left and right, picking corners like nobody's business. But for whatever reason he just can't do it in games. I do think he has the ability to score 25 goals or more in this league, but it would take a pretty drastic change in mindset/coaching/technique. I can't believe that stick that goes up to his eyebrows in skates (!!!) is helping much.

rynryn 05-14-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 25818297)
Have you watched Clutter in practice though? He was beating the goalies left and right, picking corners like nobody's business. But for whatever reason he just can't do it in games. I do think he has the ability to score 25 goals or more in this league, but it would take a pretty drastic change in mindset/coaching/technique. I can't believe that stick that goes up to his eyebrows in skates (!!!) is helping much.

I know! i've been trying to wrap my head around the difference. he's got a quick shot in both but the accuracy isn't there in-game. Like you said it has to be a mindset thing--in practice and warmups he's obviously not looking to lay anyone out or worried about retributive hits but if you play like he does, i can see having a larger part of your attention focused on tracking potential hitters/hittees.

I like his focus where it is now, though. As a great hitter clutterbuck energizes the rest of the team and more than a few times has kept the home crowd from turning ugly while we struggled on the scoreboard. Also forces the other team to get off their game sometimes. That said, we do need more scoring...

BigT2002 05-15-2010 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 25818297)

Because he's tired and he doesn't have time to think about what he's actually doing. Plus he doesn't normally have someone poke checking him to beat hell either