HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Trade the pick (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=77626)

Chehabi 05-13-2004 01:50 AM

Trade the pick

Ok, so we draft 18th overall in a not very good draft and we have a plethora of good prospects looking for NHL jobs. We were in the 2nd round this season. I say, we trade that pick and get some help because we’re not really building anymore; this team is good but could improve some and we have a lot of prospects.

Anyone agree?

tinyzombies 05-13-2004 02:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chehabi
Ok, so we draft 18th overall in a not very good draft and we have a plethora of good prospects looking for NHL jobs. We were in the 2nd round this season. I say, we trade that pick and get some help because we’re not really building anymore; this team is good but could improve some and we have a lot of prospects.

Anyone agree?

Gainey could go in a lot of directions. I wouldn't mind if Gainey made a deal to pick up another scorer or dealt Rivet or Breezey with the pick and picked up a right D. This is going to be a good draft though, where did you hear it's a bad draft?

L'abstrait 05-13-2004 02:29 AM

I think we are better off keeping our pick, since we don't even know if there's gonna be any hockey next year, which means more UFA, more free space to move up rookies, and then we need rookies to fill up the farm. (Thats if there's a lock out)

Catala 05-13-2004 02:47 AM

I would like to see the organization continue on the prospects direction.

We will have to really get under way to drop it IMO and as it stands right now (might change) the future of a team stands with the prospects and not the "superstars".

I don't think we are done rebuilding yet ( it would be nice to have some depth at various positions, such as defense ), and when we will be, we might still need it to succeed.

As a side note, i don't think this draft will be a poor one. it will be a good first round and i can see some surprises coming from others rounds in my crystal ball.

s7ark 05-13-2004 02:58 AM

Keep the 1st rounder, for god's sake. Remember, a pick this year is forecasted to make an impact 3/4 years from now. We do have a lot of good prospects, but backup plans still have to be made to eventually replace Brisebois, maybe Rivet, maybe Souray, Quintal, Dowd, Langdon, Perreault, Dykhuis, etc. There's a good chance we can get a Valabik or Green this year, and that's worth taking a shot. BG has to keep Hamilton stocked up as well. Given the relatively low pick not too many teams will make a big offer for it. There should be plenty to choose from at #18, though. I'd be totally flexible if the right deal came along, but it would have to be something that could address a weak position for more than a couple of years.

Hab-a-maniac 05-13-2004 03:59 AM

Green would be awesome. Add some toughness, size and rugged play to our blueline of the future. We have enough mobile, puck-carrying/slapshot blasting ones in Hainsey, Markov and Souray. Him and Komisarek on a pairing (drools)? Get me a towel.

All-Star 05-13-2004 06:01 AM

Quote:

because we’re not really building anymore

Why would you think that? None of our Hamilton and Juniors prospects have proven anything, so you're willing to gamble on the future and stop drafting? Is your last name Houle?

markov` 05-13-2004 07:55 AM

Quote:

Anyone agree?

First of all, I don't agree, and second, it's impossible.

And by the way, god are we still building. Look at our lineup, we can't match against Colorado, Detroit, Philly, Tampa Bay. The only chance we got to win the cup with players like that is to be a cinderella team, like Calgary. I'm not saying we don't have a good team but the reconstruction is not over. And even if it was, each and every year we NEED to add 2-3 good prospects to our depth chart.

Russian Fan 05-13-2004 08:41 AM

Quote:

Anyone agree?

Well first you need to understand what is a not a very good draft & last time check the top 7 to 30 are very close to each other.

Sure the draft when it comes to the 3rd round is not a strong one but that doesn't mean your 1st round is a waste on 2004.

I wouldn't move down this year for sure & we wont get a good established player for it so LET'S KEEP IT.

J-D 05-13-2004 08:50 AM

We don't have a 2nd round pick. Therefore, I am strongly inclined towards the negative stance.

Brett38 05-13-2004 09:59 AM

We don't have a second round pick, but we have two third round picks...I think.
I would only trade our first if Gainey comes up with a package to get the # 1 pick.
Otherwise, keep our first rounder.

BLONG7 05-13-2004 10:13 AM

So is the general feeling that BG will make a splash on Draft day, and trade up?

Blind Gardien 05-13-2004 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BLONG7
So is the general feeling that BG will make a splash on Draft day, and trade up?

I don't see any reason to expect a trade? I rather imagine it will just quietly be business as usual, take the pick when it rolls around.

:dunno:

Traitor8 05-13-2004 10:41 AM

Andre Savard will obviously be working the phone with Gainey to see what Washington wants for Ovechkin(lika Ilya) but it doesn't mean we gonna get him.

Gainey will then try to trade one of his 3rd round pick + something for a 2nd round pick

Gainey will give the day to Timmins,Savard,Gauthier to draft.

Mooch 05-13-2004 10:44 AM

Quote:

Anyone agree?

We are still rebuilding, so No we shouldnt trade away our first pick for a player. Toronto has been trading away first picks for years now, have they won a cup yet????

Draft players and develople players, thats the way to go. We cant just throw away picks, especially first rounders, regardless of how deep or not the draft is.

Guy Caballero 05-13-2004 11:32 AM

I wouldn't trade the pick unless we were trading it up for a better one.

habsfansam 05-13-2004 11:49 AM

While this draft isn't as deep into the later rounds (ie good picks in the 4th round+ will be more a lucky shot than anything), rounds 1 and 2 should prove to be quite good... look at names that strike you on the csb lists and you'll see names like Hensick, Laliberte, McGrath, Lepisto, Salmonsson, ****ikov, etc... all touted to be good picks earlier this year, and many still picked to be sleepers.

If we trade,
1)trade up to get a top tier prospect (eg Valabik, Stafford, Barker, Thelen, Schremp, Malkin, Ovechkin, Olesz, or my personal favorite, Tukonen.)... this will cost us our 1st rounder+ a top six forward and change.

2)trade down to take someone who has fallen lower than they should (eg Green, Wheeler, or whoever catches the fancy) to pick up a 2nd rounder or another 3rd rounder.

I think we'd all like to grab a top prospect from this group because they're all impact players, but i see us trading down to get more chances to hit a homerun in rounds 1 or 2.

I also think that we'll see the habs team (ie timmins, gauthier, and savard) swing for the fences again like last year... don't be surprised if we pick that one player that falls for an intangible reason or a concern (perhaps Schremp). We're deep enough now to take a risk hoping to grab a superstar early while taking safer picks later.

GO HABS!!

habsfansam 05-13-2004 11:55 AM

would we trade Theo and Perez to pick up a guy like Ovechkin?? If we've tried to break the BIG trade in the past few years (from the rumors about Kovalchuk and Zherdev), are we going to continue that line of work now that we pick much later in the 1st round?

Personally, i think we'd go for that if it were an option. Garon is a very solid goaltending option, and he's significantly cheaper than Theo... if we don't think that we'll win it in the next 2-3years, picking up a superstar prospect might be a better option for the development of the team longterm... how would that affect the confidence in our defensive corps (ie lacking theo to back them up).

If it's there and we can get one of the top picks, we'll do it.

Mooch 05-13-2004 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by habsfansam
would we trade Theo and Perez to pick up a guy like Ovechkin?? If we've tried to break the BIG trade in the past few years (from the rumors about Kovalchuk and Zherdev), are we going to continue that line of work now that we pick much later in the 1st round?

Personally, i think we'd go for that if it were an option. Garon is a very solid goaltending option, and he's significantly cheaper than Theo... if we don't think that we'll win it in the next 2-3years, picking up a superstar prospect might be a better option for the development of the team longterm... how would that affect the confidence in our defensive corps (ie lacking theo to back them up).

If it's there and we can get one of the top picks, we'll do it.

Theo and Perez to pick up a guy like Ovechkin???

Id do that faster than you could think. Thats would be a steal!

VAN-HAB 05-13-2004 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch
Theo and Perez to pick up a guy like Ovechkin???

Id do that faster than you could think. Thats would be a steal!

AGREE!!!!!!!!!!

habsfansam 05-13-2004 12:11 PM

i'm not sure it'd be enough, but we've got lots of material to play with...

CH Wizard 05-13-2004 12:51 PM

what about Hossa,1st rounder,Dagenais for Olesz

Traitor8 05-13-2004 12:54 PM

That's terrible man

Dagenais has no value
and Hossa,1st is pretty good but I don't think they would be interested in Hossa.

I am thinking
Zednik,4th round pick for 4th overall pick,5th round pick

Russian Fan 05-13-2004 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komisarek8
That's terrible man

Dagenais has no value
and Hossa,1st is pretty good but I don't think they would be interested in Hossa.

I am thinking
Zednik,4th round pick for 4th overall pick,5th round pick

4th vs 5th doesn't matter that much.

so in your offer it's more Zednik vs 4th overall & I dont think MacLean would bite

Traitor8 05-13-2004 12:59 PM

Zednik,3rd for 4th ?