HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Ones the Flyers left behind have mixed feelings about Cup chase (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=77638)

iceman42 05-13-2004 07:44 AM

Ones the Flyers left behind have mixed feelings about Cup chase

Here is a good article about the guys "left behind" and those who were Flyers for awhile and then traded this year. Some good stuff in there.

http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/sports/8654480.htm

No matter what you think about the player most of these guys were great people, searching like everyone else for the cup and to get so close, even though you dont know it at teh time, and then get traded away. If we win it all I think this would be some hollow victory for Dejardain, he still apart of the team but he had no part of the cup run. Either way I'm not sure that anyone will agree but I feel that the defenseman Markov and Malakov were huge upgrades over Bundy and Weinrich.

donelikedinner 05-13-2004 08:19 AM

"He (Therien) is even rooting for Bob Clarke, the man who traded him, but a man who also picked up the tab for shoulder surgery next week.

Because of that, Therien can rehab at home rather than spend a month in Dallas.

"A touch of class," he called Clarke's gesture."

B.C. picking up the tab for Therien's surgery? what the? :dunno:

swflyers8* 05-13-2004 08:44 AM

Quote:

B.C. picking up the tab for Therien's surgery? what the?
Just because Bundy didn't get along with Hitch doesn't mean Clarke didn't like him. I think that's great of Clarke to do that, it shows that even though you aren't with us anymore we want the best for you. Clarke knew Chris didn't fit here anymore but it looks like he still cares about his career. He was the longest guy tenured in Philly. I can see Weinrich's view. Why trade him when we got Malakhov? I liked the trade, team wise, but I do miss Eric. He was part of the team just like Justin was. You don't think his roommate Preems wish he was here and a part of this? It's a shame but that's the way of the business.

Steve L* 05-13-2004 09:14 AM

Therien was rooting for the Devils in the 1st round. A Flyer fan saw him in a Dallas bar cheer when NJ scored.

He still seems a tad bitter.

MiamiScreamingEagles 05-13-2004 09:23 AM

Here is a list from what I can gather of injuries to the Flyers D-men around the time of all the moves/injuries. At the time, Pitkanen was playing solidly, Timander made a strong initial impact and it seemed that the corps of defenseman was somewhat stable.

Jan 8. Pitkanen hurt; Seidenberg recalled
Jan 16 Seidenberg out 12 weeks
Jan 20 Markov acquired
Jan 21 Desjardins surgery, out 8 weeks, from Jan 17 game
Jan 22 Timander acquired
Feb 9 Weinrich traded
Mar 1 Ragnarsson hurt
Mar 8 Therien traded
Mar 8 Malahkov acquired

crackerzack 05-13-2004 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swflyers8
Just because Bundy didn't get along with Hitch doesn't mean Clarke didn't like him. I think that's great of Clarke to do that, it shows that even though you aren't with us anymore we want the best for you. Clarke knew Chris didn't fit here anymore but it looks like he still cares about his career. He was the longest guy tenured in Philly. I can see Weinrich's view. Why trade him when we got Malakhov? I liked the trade, team wise, but I do miss Eric. He was part of the team just like Justin was. You don't think his roommate Preems wish he was here and a part of this? It's a shame but that's the way of the business.

I liked Eric a lot too. He was a real character guy and he played so sound positionally. He was a good old American boy and he'll be missed but weino had a hefty salary and appeared to have slowed a little. Clarke picked up Malakhov out of desperation and he apparently made the right decision because for the first time since the Lindros era the Flyers are in the ECF.

Sorry Eric, nothing personal, buy your time here was up.

iceman42 05-13-2004 10:03 AM

I liked Eric, and wish he was still here, would def be good depth but had shown signs of slowness. I think back to all of Clarkes moves to get us prepared for the Cup run, and this has to be the best series of moves to actually elevate the level of talent on this team. Malakov and Zamnov have been huge contributers in both zones and has allowed some of the pressure to come off of others. Hell Zamnov was a big scorer in the NJ series.

Dr Love 05-13-2004 10:13 AM

Re: Therien and Clarke

For all his faults, you have to give Clarke a lot of credit for doing the best he can for vets he deals. Therien played every game (I think) for the Stars in the playoffs, he wouldn't have done that here. Eric Weinrich, Kent Manderville, Paul Ranheim as well to name a few, he could have easily let them rot or dealt them to teams where they'd be in a similar situation, but instead he dealt them where they got a chance to play everyday. Pretty classy IMO.

Re: Weinrich

Weinrich was playing very poorly at the time he was moved. Maybe they miss him in the lockerroom, but I don't miss him on the ice.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 05-13-2004 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Love
Re: Therien and Clarke

For all his faults, you have to give Clarke a lot of credit for doing the best he can for vets he deals. Therien played every game (I think) for the Stars in the playoffs, he wouldn't have done that here. Eric Weinrich, Kent Manderville, Paul Ranheim as well to name a few, he could have easily let them rot or dealt them to teams where they'd be in a similar situation, but instead he dealt them where they got a chance to play everyday. Pretty classy IMO.

Re: Weinrich

Weinrich was playing very poorly at the time he was moved. Maybe they miss him in the lockerroom, but I don't miss him on the ice.

Total agreeance here...seems if you don't bite the hand that feeds you, you get treated pretty well....even when you're getting your walking papers. :)

Dizzy 05-13-2004 11:49 AM

No quotes from Williams in the article? But I guess any disappointment he might feel was softened by winning gold with Team Canada. I still wish we hadn't traded him but at this point it's obvious that Markov is a lot more important to have on the team than Williams.

swflyers8* 05-13-2004 12:28 PM

Weinrich: I liked his attitude but at the time he was traded, he was making the most mistakes. I miss him but I like Vlad here more.

Therien: Hated him, did a dance when he left.

Williams: Fan favorite but didn't produce. Markov has done a lot for this team and more than Justin would. Who knows, Willy could always come back to the team, many players already have. :dunno:

FlyersGuy69 05-13-2004 12:38 PM

Clarke made great moves to get this team were they are today and I don't feel bad for any of the guys. the bottom line is they got traded to make the team better and we probably wouldn't be in this position now with them.

Clarke get's bashed for alot of things he does and that was a great gesture on Therien. Clarke's had a great year, good job Clarke! :handclap:

iceman42 05-13-2004 01:25 PM

Yep .. good point

phillygirl 05-13-2004 01:36 PM

Quote:

Weinrich: I liked his attitude but at the time he was traded, he was making the most mistakes. I miss him but I like Vlad here more.

Therien: Hated him, did a dance when he left.

Williams: Fan favorite but didn't produce. Markov has done a lot for this team and more than Justin would. Who knows, Willy could always come back to the team, many players already have. :dunno:

Did the same dance when Therien was traded. Never liked him. :banana: :banana: :banana:

MacDaddy TLC* 05-13-2004 02:17 PM

Quote:

Markov has done a lot for this team and more than Justin would.

Remember when the trade happened and a lot of Flyers fans were upset. The Loose Cannon was right when he said this was a great deal for the Flyers and that you will love Elvis Markov.

easton122 05-16-2004 05:00 PM

Yeah trading Williams was a killer for me but Markov has been so vital to our success I can't fault Clarke anymore. I just think Williams deserved to win in Philly. No one gave anymore effort in the years he played here. Championship teams need heart and soul guys like that but Clarke did good and traded him for Markov who also has a ton of heart. I'll always miss not seeing Willy fly down the ice and crash into the boards fighting for the puck like it was for his own life. I can only hope one day ill see him in orange and black again (plus I don't want to have to get rid of my jersey :( ).