HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The Tennessean: Center may become the No. 1 pick (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=77647)

SmokeyClause 05-13-2004 08:47 AM

The Tennessean: Center may become the No. 1 pick

Quote:

From the Tennessean:

Pleased with the overall play of their wings and excited about upcoming defensive prospects, the Predators are shifting their draft desires in a different direction this year.

The popular early consensus? Center should get plenty of attention.

''We've talked a lot about centers because we don't have a lot coming up in the system in that area,'' said Predators General Manager David Poile, who has gathered his scouts and Director of Player Personnel Paul Fenton this week in Nashville to prepare for next month's NHL entry draft in Raleigh, N.C.

Center may become the No. 1 pick

SmokeyClause 05-13-2004 08:48 AM

This isn't exactly news to the followers of this board. And for being the first article on the Preds in around 10 days, it's a little bland. But it still qualifies as news.

Enoch 05-13-2004 09:28 AM

Does anyone think Chipchura will still be around at our pick? Will we draft another dman, if a good centerman is not left for us on the board? The final Central Scouting report has me wondering.... :/

SmokeyClause 05-13-2004 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
Does anyone think Chipchura will still be around at our pick? Will we draft another dman, if a good centerman is not left for us on the board? The final Central Scouting report has me wondering.... :/

I'd like to see us trade up or down to nab a centerman. I'd rather us not reach for a pick. If we feel like a team is willing to trade down and Chipper might be in our grasps, then take it. If we feel that there are no centers left worthy of our selection at #16, then move back and take one who is.

DontCallPlayersStuds 05-13-2004 11:46 AM

I say if Schremp is available, we take the risk and grab him. Chipchura doesn't look like much of a scoring threat...

thestonedkoala 05-13-2004 01:30 PM

Stafford might be an option where you sit, Nashville might have to move up if they want to get a good, scoring center.

crossxcheck 05-13-2004 01:34 PM

I'm voting schremp here. although, I do like graham's size. 6'6" 220lbs, but I don't know if he'd work with our system. I'm sticking with schremp.

Joe T Choker 05-13-2004 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossxcheck
I'm voting schremp here. although, I do like graham's size. 6'6" 220lbs, but I don't know if he'd work with our system. I'm sticking with schremp.

What...just because Graham is bigger, doesn't necessarily mean he can't skate

hillbilly 05-13-2004 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
I say if Schremp is available, we take the risk and grab him. Chipchura doesn't look like much of a scoring threat...

its a rough call, we don't have a center with size in our system. I think Arkhipov is the biggest center we have and he doesn't know how to use his size. For some reason I see someone chosing schremp before we have a chance to, but even if someone doesn't I think its still a hard decision.

Enoch 05-13-2004 03:11 PM

Maybe Olesz will drop due to his concussion? But at 16, surely somone will have taken him off the board?!?

Here is the CS list: Thelen is at 11 and Schremp at 10 in North America alone, while Chipchura is at 4 :amazed:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/draft/feature.asp?fid=8985

I hate to say it, but I'm guessing we draft another dman, or make a deal to move up. :dunno: Strong centers are the most important piece to a team behind a goalie IMO

SmokeyClause 05-13-2004 03:16 PM

Quote:

Maybe Olesz will drop due to his concussion? But at 16, surely somone will have taken him off the board?!?

Here is the CS list: Thelen is at 11 and Schremp at 10 in North America alone, while Chipchura is at 4 :amazed:

I hate to say it, but I'm guessing we draft another dman, or make a deal to move up. :dunno: Strong centers are the most important piece to a team behind a goalie IMO

I just don't see the need to draft another Dman. The team basically said it had enough when it traded Slovak to make room for Weber. We have so many more pressing needs than a Dman. I wouldn't mind us going after Dubnyk or Montoya if we feel they are worthy of our pick.

Joe T Choker 05-13-2004 03:16 PM

Quote:

Goalies > Dmen > Centermen > Wingers

Enoch 05-13-2004 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
Goalies > Dmen > Centermen > Wingers

I agree with this, however, every team needs at least ONE strong centerman, which is my point. I would rank it something like this on a player to player basis

#1 goalie
#1 Center
#1-3 dmen

etc.

And drafting a dman is not all that bad. Drafting for a need, can have bad results. Its better to go out and get the best player/potential at the avaialble position. This is why I hope we trade up, as our needs really require a top 10 pick.....there will be plenty of quality dmen in the 10 - 20 range, but the strong centers/scoring wingers/possibly even goaltenders will likely be gone. :|

SmokeyClause 05-13-2004 04:48 PM

Quote:

And drafting a dman is not all that bad. Drafting for a need, can have bad results. Its better to go out and get the best player/potential at the avaialble position. This is why I hope we trade up, as our needs really require a top 10 pick.....there will be plenty of quality dmen in the 10 - 20 range, but the strong centers/scoring wingers/possibly even goaltenders will likely be gone. :|

Drafting a Dman who you don't need isn't exactly recommended though. Drafting a Dman when you have the ability to address other pressing needs is bad.

Enoch 05-13-2004 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Drafting a Dman who you don't need isn't exactly recommended though. Drafting a Dman when you have the ability to address other pressing needs is bad.

Never said it wasn't...however drafting a bad player to fill a need when there is a very good player at that position that may not fit your needs is not recommended either. This is all I'm saying :/

SmokeyClause 05-13-2004 06:13 PM

Quote:

Never said it wasn't...however drafting a bad player to fill a need when there is a very good player at that position that may not fit your needs is not recommended either. This is all I'm saying :/

Agreed, so we are saying we should trade out if we don't like what we see. Our best pick to date came from the 10-20 spot. Let's hope our great drafting continues.

Enoch 05-13-2004 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Agreed, so we are saying we should trade out if we don't like what we see. Our best pick to date came from the 10-20 spot. Let's hope our great drafting continues.

I'm sure it will, despite how CS ranks the players, good players do fall. In all honesty, I wouldn't mind drafting another dman, IF we trade him later/or trade some other prospects to get who we need. Surely there are people looking for solid defensive prospects :dunno:. We will see, though. I'm not a GM, and I'm sure they will stay relatively close to their draft boards.

Captain Conservative 05-13-2004 07:40 PM

I'd be extremely surprised if Schremp is still around at #16. If he is i'd love for the Caps to bundle some of their picks and move up. I know that the caps have zero prospect depth at defense, but the possibility of getting the two of the 3 best forwards in the draft is enticing. Obviously i'm speaking on potential here.

DontCallPlayersStuds 05-13-2004 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Conservative
I'd be extremely surprised if Schremp is still around at #16. If he is i'd love for the Caps to bundle some of their picks and move up. I know that the caps have zero prospect depth at defense, but the possibility of getting the two of the 3 best forwards in the draft is enticing. Obviously i'm speaking on potential here.

the reason i think he will be is the same reason that o'sullivan fell to late second round, this past year. sometimes, attitude\off-ice history is enough to offset pure skill. based on skill alone, o'sullivan could have been and should have been at least a late first rounder.

Captain Conservative 05-13-2004 07:46 PM

Quote:

the reason i think he will be is the same reason that o'sullivan fell to late second round, this past year. sometimes, attitude\off-ice history is enough to offset pure skill. based on skill alone, o'sullivan could have been and should have been at least a late first rounder.

In theory you're right. The big difference is the wide margin in the perceived strength of the drafts. Schremp would be slotted 3 on this draft based on skill alone. I think based on skill, Sully would have been in the 15-20 range in 2003.

Enoch 05-13-2004 07:46 PM

Quote:

Same for our very own Glazachev.

If Montoya or Schwarez is at the 16th spot, would you guys take them? I would.

DontCallPlayersStuds 05-13-2004 07:53 PM

Quote:

Same for our very own Glazachev.

If Montoya or Schwarez is at the 16th spot, would you guys take them? I would.

i wouldn't want to use a first round pick on a goalie. finley is coming around, and everything i'm hearing from the finns on the board is that with Lehtonen's departure, Lassila is fast becoming the best goalie in Finland.

Radulov for Czar* 05-13-2004 08:19 PM

Also, Lasak looked VERY impressive at the World Championships, and it would be nice to see him have one more shot.

DontCallPlayersStuds 05-13-2004 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonesey
Also, Lasak looked VERY impressive at the World Championships, and it would be nice to see him have one more shot.

he won the gold medal, two years ago. no one ever questioned his ability to play internationally. besides, where do we slide him in? He can't prove anything as an AHL backup, and that's all he could be next year, as Finley will surely get the number 1 starter job...and Mason is the perfect backup. We can't exactly say, "hey, Mase...can you hold on for a sec while we see if Lasak can play the way he does once a year in international tournament?"

I'd rather see one of the younger Euro prospects brought over to back up finley...Sidikov, maybe...or even one of these low-regard north american guys that we won't worry about playing time over...Matt Davis, Mike McKenna...someone like that.

Enoch 05-13-2004 08:41 PM

I guess I was just overly impressed by those guys in the WJCs?!?! :D Ah well, I guess I approach the draft in a different light then most of you guys. You want to draft based on need/I'm drafting by players. :banana: