HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Speculation: Are the stars aligning? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=776791)

Sawdalite 05-16-2010 03:13 AM

Are the stars aligning?

Just for fun, let's consider the coincidences and/or signs pointing towards a big Flyers event -- not mentioning it, as to not jinx it.

* NHL has commercial campaign around "History Will Be Made" and great history was made by Flyers.

* HBO develops and airs its first NHL documentary... centering around the Flyers and being shown during this postseason.

* Hollywood developing major motion picture based on Schultz and the Bullies.

* Last time an NHL team overcame a 0-3 game deficit was the same year the Flyers won their last Cup... 35 years, which is also the number of games without a loss in record by Flyers.

* First time a 7th seed has had home ice advantage.

* First time 7th and 8th seeds have played each other... Other Conference pits #1 vs #2.

* Flyers overcame 0-3 GAME deficit and then 0-3 goal deficit... won 4 games to 3, by 4-3 score,

* Gagne only misses three games after operation on broken toe and scores winning OT goal first game back to save being swept, and has a goal per game rate in series.

* Betts hurts same shoulder he had two operations on this season yet doesn't miss a single game.

* Flyers win with waiver-wire goalie after top two goalies go down.

* Leighton dresses after extended injury in exact game Boucher goes down.

* Flyers lose their top goal scorer, number one goalie and top penalty killer and don't miss a beat.

* Flyers make playoffs by way of something they are rotten at versus a goalie who excels at it... a Shootout.

* The two teams they were killed by in the season were eliminated and they drew teams that matched up well against them.

* They played the very team that they played the Winter Classic against on National TV.

* They chose 'RELENTLESS' as a slogan and proved to be just that when they had the backs against the wall.

... Please feel free to add to this list, and remember that it is only for fun, it means nothing... Isn't it? ;)

fire bettman 05-16-2010 03:27 AM

I hate that I'm contributing to this jinx of a thread but...... :laugh:

they were also predicted to win the cup at the beginning of the series by the hockey news.

a lot of people also predicted that the Flyers opponent in the SCF would be Chicago.

Readyrock 05-16-2010 04:11 AM

Quote:

Are the stars aligning?
Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnope.

Russian Warrior 05-16-2010 04:31 AM

Yes.

Lab Monkey 05-16-2010 07:52 AM

Lock this jinx!!! Good lord man what is wrong with you!

RIPRichardsCarter 05-16-2010 09:32 AM

I like how the Habs fans have gone the jinx route.

No the stars are not aligning. It's going to be extremely tough to beat the Habs. Even if we do so, we do not have even close to the amount of talent that both teams from the west have. So if we do go to the finals, I can't see us winning.

Yes, I'm being a pessimist. I'd love to see them win, but it's still a long shot.

CptCannon 05-16-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawdalite (Post 25847836)
* Hollywood developing major motion picture based on Schultz and the Bullies.

Didn't know about that. When it's supposed to be ready and shown?

captainpaxil 05-16-2010 09:58 AM

delete delete delete cross your fingers and pretend this thread never existed do not tempt the wrath of the hockey gods

KimiFerrari 05-16-2010 10:03 AM

The stars have aligned for the biggest let down in Flyers history. Happy now?

JLHockeyKnight 05-16-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinRiles (Post 25848999)

Me too. Holy crap can't wait already.

PhillyFan4Ever 05-16-2010 02:31 PM

people hate the flyers. this could be one big setup for an officiating betdown this series or the next.

i cant count the chickens.

FlyHigh 05-16-2010 02:41 PM

Are you a retard?

DeadPhish5858 05-16-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyHigh (Post 25852366)
Are you a retard?

PhillyFan4Ever 05-16-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyHigh (Post 25852366)
Are you a retard?

for what being cautious? sure.... better then being a tard for blindly thinking the cup is being handed to us

FlyHigh 05-16-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhillyFan4Ever (Post 25852637)
for what being cautious? sure.... better then being a tard for blindly thinking the cup is being handed to us

I was referring to the OP.

PhillyFan4Ever 05-16-2010 03:20 PM

ahhhh im still a retard

Sawdalite 05-16-2010 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinRiles (Post 25848999)

Well, major motion picture may have been an exaggeration, I admit.

What I am aware of, but have not had an update on, is that Dave Schultz's son was working on a screenplay that was I believe picked up by the motion picture industry for development. It is to be along the lines of Slap Shot.

I don't know how far along it is, and I do realized that projects are delayed or scrapped often.

But to me it was one of the signs of a Flyers reemergence in America, along with the HBO documentary.

Sawdalite 05-16-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lab Monkey (Post 25848518)
Lock this jinx!!! Good lord man what is wrong with you!

Chill, Labby, I made a point to not to mention what the ultimately was in the stars down the line... What I liked was the positive sins and the favorable publicity for the Flyers, along with the coincidental numerology aspect of it all.

I was out to have fun with it with the understanding that it all depends on what the team does on the ice and the breaks that fall one way or the other.

If we are to honestly worry about jinxing them won't some of the more superstitious among us string you up if you change your underwear or wear a different hat during the postseason? We can joke all we ant, but I was assuming that we all were well removed from the Dark Ages here. It is one thing to joke around about jinxing, it is quite another thing to really believe in it.

And besides, who is to say that my listing these things didn't allow the hockey gods to smile down on the Flyers and touch them, thus anointing them? :sarcasm:

Giroux tha Damaja 05-16-2010 04:53 PM

OP knock on wood right now.

DrinkFightFlyers 05-16-2010 04:59 PM

I don't know if I would say they haven't missed a beat with all the injuries. They barely made the playoffs and had to come back from 0-3. Not taking away from what they have done, but they missed a beat or two. That being said. Let's go Flyers!

decadentia 05-16-2010 05:26 PM

Let's not become like some Montreal fans with this "Destiny" crap.

We clawed our way here, and we should continue to do so and be thankful for anything that comes our way.

PhillyPhantic 05-16-2010 05:27 PM

Don't jinx us please... just keep on believing!

mypunkrock 05-16-2010 05:29 PM

We align our own stars. Simple as that.

Haute Couturier 05-16-2010 06:07 PM

I think the stars have aligned for them to come out of the East

BringBackStevens 05-16-2010 06:19 PM

I'm getting a little annoyed with the superstition and ideas of fate associated with sports. Theres quite obviously no such thing, just go out and play