HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   I am not sure if I need a longer stick or I need to bend down more. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=777229)

tobyandmisty 05-17-2010 12:57 PM

I am not sure if I need a longer stick or I need to bend down more.

I have a regular length men's Warrior stick. The problem I am finding is that when guys are passing to me where I should be putting it in the net, the puck is going under my stick and I hate it. I do not know if I should be bending lower of maybe make the stick a little longer if possible. The stick is untouched. I am about 5'11 off of skates.

Thanks.

cptjeff 05-17-2010 02:00 PM

Is the blade touching the ice at the heel with the puck going under the toe? If so, you need a shorter stick. You almost certainly don't need a longer one at your height.

A picture of you on skates holding your stick in a typical stance would be very helpful.

tobyandmisty 05-17-2010 02:33 PM

Thanks for the heads up.

Jarick 05-17-2010 03:01 PM

It's a combination of stick length and lie that you need to find. Typically it's a bit of trial and error.

The goal is to get the bottom of the blade as flat on the ice as possible while you're playing. A great skater is going to keep his upper body level to the ice at all times while the lower body does it's thing...but most of us pop up and down every now and again.

If you skate hunched over and/or with knees bent, you'll either want a very short stick or a very low lie. If you're skating tall and upright, you'll either want a very long stick or a very high lie.

If the puck is going under the heel of the stick right now, you want either a higher lie or shorter stick or a combination of both. If it's going under the toe, you want a lower lie or longer stick or combination of both.

jsykes 05-17-2010 03:34 PM

You dont need a longer stick. I'm about 5-11 and I cut about 2 1/2 - 3 inches off my sticks.

Anubis79 05-17-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 25871173)
If the puck is going under the heel of the stick right now, you want either a higher lie or shorter stick or a combination of both. If it's going under the toe, you want a lower lie or longer stick or combination of both.

Not entirely true. If the puck is going under the heel a shorter stick will only exaggerate that fact by putting the blade even more on the toe without making other compromises to form. Just the opposite for a puck going under the toe.

What it all comes down to is skating style and how you like your stick in relation to your body. It's all about finding that perfect angle between body, stick, blade, and ice. A good indication is how evenly the tape wears on the bottom of your stick. If it the wear is at the heel, you need to shorten the stick or get a stick with a lower number lie. If the wear is at the toe you need to lengthen the stick or go with a higher lie. If the wear is even across the bottom then for all intents and purposes your stick is fine for everything you do when your blade is in contact with the ice, and missing pucks is down to form. Maybe not enough pressure on the stick and hard passes are just torquing the blade and sliding right under. Just my thoughts.

Jarick 05-17-2010 03:55 PM

Whoops, yeah, what he said. Brain fart.

Personally I tend to play with a stick that's cut to the chin and a bit higher lie than you'd think I should, but then I cup over the puck and it's all good.

BadHammy* 05-17-2010 04:13 PM

Sounds like the lie is probably too high. How bad is the tape wear?

Scotty94 05-17-2010 09:46 PM

As others are saying, this is probably not a stick length problem. It's the lie of your blade, which is the angle the shaft of the stick comes away from the blade when sitting perfectly on the ice. Stand in your regular skating/stickhandling position and put your stick on the ice. Is the toe of the stick coming up off the ice too much? Your lie is too high. Or is the heel up off the ice and too much toe is down? Your lie is too low. You may have to experiment with different blades. Adjusting the length of your stick a little will also help correct the problem, but should not be the sole way to do it at all.

http://www.prolearning.com/hockey/questions04_01.jpg

tobyandmisty 05-18-2010 11:46 AM

Great info. I will check next time I am out. I appreciate all of the input.