HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   slimey glove palms (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=778203)

hockeystud938 05-20-2010 01:33 AM

slimey glove palms

so i have had the same pair of gloves for a while now... and they are starting to get slimy its really the best way i can describe it... i know gross right... but being gross is not my biggest concern... when i go to take a shot i feel that my hand slips and i can't get all that i want into my shot. Should i try to wash my gloves? if so how should i go about doing thing i have heard dishwasher? washing machine? or just a bucket with some soap in it?

has anyone else had trouble with this... thanks for the help

densetsu 05-20-2010 01:43 AM

Step 1. Run very hot water through the gloves; I run several kettles of boiling water through each glove. Fun experiment: plug the sink drain so you can see how gross the runoff water is.

Step 2. Run cool water through them. Then pick up something with lanolin oil in it, and rub it into the inside of the palms. Baseball glove oil is available at most sport stores; you could also look for shaving cream with lanolin oil in it (nowadays most do *not* contain lanolin, so you have to read the ingredients).

Step 1 cleans the gloves, but all that water will tend to dry out the palms. Step 2 keeps them soft.

AIREAYE 05-20-2010 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by densetsu (Post 25912441)
Step 1. Run very hot water through the gloves; I run several kettles of boiling water through each glove. Fun experiment: plug the sink drain so you can see how gross the runoff water is.

Step 2. Run cool water through them. Then pick up something with lanolin oil in it, and rub it into the inside of the palms. Baseball glove oil is available at most sport stores; you could also look for shaving cream with lanolin oil in it (nowadays most do *not* contain lanolin, so you have to read the ingredients).

Step 1 cleans the gloves, but all that water will tend to dry out the palms. Step 2 keeps them soft.

uhoh, Ive heard form some credable sources over at MSH that you should NOT do this, but i think lanolin is ok

shoeshine boy 05-21-2010 08:46 AM

agreed. OIL is not what you want. baseball glove conditioning FOAM works great though.
I've also heard some folks use shaving cream but I have no first-hand experience with it.

noobman 05-21-2010 09:50 AM

Slime? Err.... do you have anything growing in your hockey bag?

Jarick 05-21-2010 09:53 AM

Yeah slime would mean something is growing on the palms. Do you take your stuff out to dry?

Hockeyfan68 05-21-2010 03:06 PM

Beware Staph infection .... I and many others spray 70% mixture (sold thaT WAY USUALLY) rubbing alcohol. A regular spray bottle sprayer will screw right onto the alcohol bottle.

That and air your stuff out after you play!

I mentioned this already but Mark Stuart for the Bruins missed the last couple of games for the regular season as well as almost 2 full playoff rounds because bacteria was eating his flesh on his hand from dirty gloves. Staph is highly anti-biotic resistant and sometimes amputation is the only cure so clean your gloves as well as your other junk or spray alcohol.

Do not use febreze! It masks smell and does not kill bacteria!

KevFist 05-21-2010 04:56 PM

Shaving cream does work great when cleaning gloves. Use the hot water trick and then run the shaving cream through the gloves. Finish it off with a rinse, and then use a very small amount of shaving cream and rub it dry into the palms. Don't use the gel cream.... Get the el cheapo barbasol stuff... The actual foam.

NomadFan 05-21-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 (Post 25935212)

Do not use febreze! It masks smell and does not kill bacteria!

Even their anti-bacterial line of products?

If so, I might need to buy a new bottle of something :cry:

KevFist 05-21-2010 05:47 PM

YEAH, the anti-bacterial febreeze still isn't that good. as sugested earlier, a bottle of alcohol is what ya need.It's typically only a dollar per bottle

KevFist 05-21-2010 05:56 PM

Oh, and don't make the mistake of getting Hydrogen peroxide....while it certainly WILL clean and kill anything on your gear, it could also lighten the color of it. As in, if you use red gloves, they could turn pink.

NomadFan 05-21-2010 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oneel (Post 25937038)
YEAH, the anti-bacterial febreeze still isn't that good. as sugested earlier, a bottle of alcohol is what ya need.It's typically only a dollar per bottle

Got it...I'm assuming it might have to do with the alcohol concentration? I tried to look for the active/inactive ingredients list for Febreze online, and apparently it's like a 5% alcohol concentration? If so this is the case, yikes.

Hockeyfan68 05-22-2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NomadFan (Post 25937181)
Got it...I'm assuming it might have to do with the alcohol concentration? I tried to look for the active/inactive ingredients list for Febreze online, and apparently it's like a 5% alcohol concentration? If so this is the case, yikes.

I didn't know they had anti-bacterial Febreze, still wouldn't use it if it has only 5% alcohol.

Lysol anti-bacterial works well also by the way.

Pedagogue 05-22-2010 09:12 AM

I've heard of gloves being stinky. I haven't heard of the slime though. You may want to read this

http://www.modsquadhockey.com/forums...=stinky+gloves