HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   OT: Outdoor roller hockey rinks in PA (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=778708)

HartsyMania 05-21-2010 12:17 PM

Outdoor roller hockey rinks in PA
 
I suppose this would be the appropriate place to post this, as most of us are from Pennsylvania.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any roller hockey rinks in Pennsylvania, specifically in the Harrisburg / Hershey area. I know in Willow Grove, outside of Philly, there's a gorgeous rink. There's also one in Hazleton and and Shippensburg University, but I cannot for the life of me find one around here.

Mostly we've just been playing at basketball courts, but with summer pretty much here, it's hard to find them empty. Parking lots are good but having boards is 20x better (and we don't want to pay to play at a rink).

Also, I realize this is only my second post haha, but it's not the reason I signed up for this forum. I've noticed this board is probably the most engaged Flyers forum that I could find, and with the way these playoffs have been going, I had to be a part of it.

JSTAFF 05-21-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyEye (Post 25933805)
I suppose this would be the appropriate place to post this, as most of us are from Pennsylvania.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any roller hockey rinks in Pennsylvania, specifically in the Harrisburg / Hershey area. I know in Willow Grove, outside of Philly, there's a gorgeous rink. There's also one in Hazleton and and Shippensburg University, but I cannot for the life of me find one around here.

Mostly we've just been playing at basketball courts, but with summer pretty much here, it's hard to find them empty. Parking lots are good but having boards is 20x better (and we don't want to pay to play at a rink).

Also, I realize this is only my second post haha, but it's not the reason I signed up for this forum. I've noticed this board is probably the most engaged Flyers forum that I could find, and with the way these playoffs have been going, I had to be a part of it.

I know there is a rink in Horsham too, I dont know if thats the Willow Grove one your talking about though.

There is also one in Lower Moreland that is really nice. Both of these used to get a decent crowd on the weekends.

I'm aware that my response did not remotely answer your question.

claude boivin lives 05-21-2010 12:26 PM

I was visiting a friend of mine this past weekend who lives in York and we went and played at an outdoor rink in Springettsbury Township Park. It's a nice place. I'm not sure whether or not that might be too far from the area you're looking for...I'm guessing it's probably about half an hour south of Hershey.

pelts35.com 05-21-2010 01:50 PM

There's a nice rink in Blue Bell and one in Collegeville.

ShawnTHW 05-21-2010 01:56 PM

A bit out of the way, but there are a TON of nice rinks in South Jersey. There is about 5 that I can think of that are no more than 15 minutes from my house. 3 in my own backyard.

orange is better 05-21-2010 01:57 PM

i grew up in horsham, our rink there sucks. it's black top and its enclosed by a cage. it's also alot smaller than regulation size. The one in willow grove is the one i play at. it's called war memorial rink. it's about 15 minutes away from horsham rink, so if you have the choice, go to war memorial.

medicman 05-21-2010 02:18 PM

I can so help with this!!!!

Lebanon county, Jackson twp just east of Myerstown, Quarry Rd south of Main St. Nice rink, public, no fee. Re-habed above two years ago. Smooth asphalt painted surface. Nice rink. Downers, surface starting to come up in some areas, trying to to get the county to address this. Goals suck. Good for ball, fair for puck. Some areas puck go under kicker boards. Still a good rink. I started a facebook page on it. No organized teams or games.

Lebanon count Cornwall boro Boyd St south of Minersvillage, very nice rink, public, no fees. Don't use Google maps to find, wrong street names listed.

Hope this helps.


PS Google maps satillite image of Jackson county rink photos before the rehab. Both Google and Bings images are so old they don't show the rink in cornwall.

MIke

DrinkFightFlyers 05-21-2010 04:56 PM

There's a rink in Lower Paxton off of Route 22 just outside of Harrisburg. I play there with my friends whenever we get a chance.

ShortBus 05-21-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude boivin lives (Post 25933903)
I was visiting a friend of mine this past weekend who lives in York and we went and played at an outdoor rink in Springettsbury Township Park. It's a nice place. I'm not sure whether or not that might be too far from the area you're looking for...I'm guessing it's probably about half an hour south of Hershey.


Ha, you beat me to it !!! If you come down 83, and get on route 30 west, it's not far from the Mt. Zion road exit of 30 west.

LEIFey 05-21-2010 11:26 PM

There's one in Jamison, PA (near Willow Grove). Haven't skated it in a long time though, so I dunno how it is.

curtisinpa 05-22-2010 01:49 AM

I live near Harrisburg on the westshore, and the closest, nice outdoor rinks are in Shippensburg and York. I know there is a small one in Elizabethtown off S. Poplar St. but from what i remember it is pretty run down.

claude boivin lives 05-23-2010 06:09 PM

Hey, so this thread kind of got me wondering about outdoor roller hockey rinks in my area, and I realized I can't think of any. Anyone know of any in the West Chester area?

claude boivin lives 06-02-2010 08:08 AM

Ohhh, come on...really? None of you bums know of any rinks in or around West Chester?

I guess maybe there really just aren't any.

teegale 06-02-2010 08:10 AM

I live in Harrisburg, and travel to Shippensburg college to use their outdoor rink. It's got a roof over it so weather really isn't a factor unless it's raining heavily.

Also, not sure if your interested but there's a very nice indoor league here in Mechanicsburg/Harrisburg area. They also have open hockey nights where you can go and play a few scrimmages. They have leagues for all skill levels, so no need to worry if you're lacking in a few areas.

http://www.susq-sports.com/

BringBackStevens 06-02-2010 08:49 AM

I play at whistlestop in colemar. It's not that great but good enough. Rarely play though becuase i know very few people who will play. Does anyone want to try to get a friendly outdoor roller game together?

easton1099 07-10-2010 12:56 PM

I just moved into philly, west philly/university city area. Are there any decent outdoor rinks in the general area? Thanks in advance.

Murphy7 07-10-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 25937133)
There's a rink in Lower Paxton off of Route 22 just outside of Harrisburg. I play there with my friends whenever we get a chance.

Beat me to this one. Brightbill Park.
Other basic outdoor rinks in Pittston and Bloomsburg.
Bristol used to have a nice outdoor rink. Plywood boards and such. But that was long ago, and I don't know if it has been kept up.

clockwise 07-10-2010 01:23 PM

Played center for the Metal Militia at Family Fun spot for years. They had a few rinks.
Once they bused in a group of kids from juvy detention and we slaughtered them like 20 - 0 lol. Think I had like 6 or 7 points before I was ejected for lifting a kids stick onto the roof of the bench area.

Think they tore it down but I'm not sure, haven't been there in a long time.

JonnyGaloshes 07-10-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by easton1099 (Post 26853980)
I just moved into philly, west philly/university city area. Are there any decent outdoor rinks in the general area? Thanks in advance.

Check out the "Philadelphia Street Hockey" thread for some pictures of the rink we play at in South Philly. I actually live in your neighborhood (42nd and Chester, by Clark Park) so if you have any interest in joining our pickup games you're more than welcome. Let me know.

Oh, and to the OP...our crews should play each other.

HartsyMania 07-10-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes (Post 26857876)
Check out the "Philadelphia Street Hockey" thread for some pictures of the rink we play at in South Philly. I actually live in your neighborhood (42nd and Chester, by Clark Park) so if you have any interest in joining our pickup games you're more than welcome. Let me know.

Oh, and to the OP...our crews should play each other.

I have a team. I can talk to my guys, it could be really fun.

JonnyGaloshes 07-11-2010 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyEye (Post 26858942)
I have a team. I can talk to my guys, it could be really fun.

Lets do this. I'll bring it up at our game on Tuesday and see if people would be willing to travel.

HartsyMania 07-11-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnyGaloshes (Post 26874008)
Lets do this. I'll bring it up at our game on Tuesday and see if people would be willing to travel.

Defintely, maybe we could even do a split, we can play up here on week (We play in hazleton primarily), then another we can come down there.

I'll PM you about it.

PSUCapsFan 07-01-2011 02:13 PM

Hey guys sorry to bring up this post but does anyone know of any outdoor rinks around Manayunk besides the busted up one off Ridge ave?

I always played at the nice rink at Northhampton township park but just moved to the city.

I work in Springhouse so if anyone knows of any rinks close to rt 309 that would be good to.

treyesh 01-27-2012 05:45 PM

I feel that the rinks in york sprginstbury township and in lancaster warwick township are nice rinks i havent played off the one on rt 22 yet but if anyone plays on weekends send me a PM

Hooah4 01-27-2012 06:46 PM

There's one in allentown on the american parkway. Still in decent shape from what i can tell. Used for both street and roller leagues


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.