HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   International Tournaments (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   WC: What can the IIHF do to fix the World Championships of Hockey? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=778712)

Uhmkay 05-21-2010 12:35 PM

What can the IIHF do to fix the World Championships of Hockey?
 
*EDIT* Title should be "What can the IIHF do"...

This is a thread where I'd like some serious discussion on what could be done, by the IIHF, to make the WHC more meaningful as a tournament. As everyone knows, the overwhelming majority of North Americans couldn't care any less about the World Championships, which is in stark contrast to Europeans who obviously look at it as a more important tournament than we do here.

What would be your suggestions to improve the significance of the tournament for not only North Americans, but people around the world.

Would you Suggest to have the tournament after the Stanley Cup? Or would players then think it's to close to the beginning of the next NHL season?

Would you suggest to have the tournament just before the regular season? Players could use it as a warmup for the NHL (Or their Home country's) hockey season... or would players not play in the WC's because of fear of being injured before they play for their home club that pays their salary.

Would you suggest we change the tournament to being once every 4 years so that every 2 years we had a major tournament?

Would you suggest perhaps persuading the NHL to have a break in the season for 2 weeks?

Joe T Choker 05-21-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uhmkay (Post 25934024)
This is a thread where I'd like some serious discussion on what could be done, by the IIHF, to make the WHC more meaningful as a tournament. As everyone knows, the overwhelming majority of North Americans couldn't care any less about the World Championships, which is in stark contrast to Europeans who obviously look at it as a more important tournament than we do here.

What would be your suggestions to improve the significance of the tournament for not only North Americans, but people around the world.

Would you Suggest to have the tournament after the Stanley Cup? Or would players then think it's to close to the beginning of the next NHL season?

Would you suggest to have the tournament just before the regular season? Players could use it as a warmup for the NHL (Or their Home country's) hockey season... or would players not play in the WC's because of fear of being injured before they play for their home club that pays their salary.

Would you suggest we change the tournament to being once every 4 years so that every 2 years we had a major tournament?

Would you suggest perhaps persuading the NHL to have a break in the season for 2 weeks?

Have a break during the playoffs ? ... hell to the no

Siberian 05-21-2010 12:40 PM

Stop trying to fix something that has been great for decades. WC is huge in Europe and grows in Canada every year too.

Uhmkay 05-21-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Conando (Post 25934056)
Have a break during the playoffs ? ... hell to the no


Obviously it wouldn't be during the playoffs. It would likely be a break around the same time as the Olympics usually are.... Mid February.

This option I believe is the LEAST likely to occur IMO.

Joe T Choker 05-21-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uhmkay (Post 25934096)
Obviously it wouldn't be during the playoffs. It would likely be a break around the same time as the Olympics usually are.... Mid February.

This option I believe is the LEAST likely to occur IMO.

I'd much rather have it before the season ... but maybe that's just me ... so no hockey journalist can be butt hurt when a player decides to sit it out because he just finished an 82 NHL Game season + playoffs

slovakiasnextone 05-21-2010 12:46 PM

Move the tournament to after the NHL regular season- IMO itīs not only the NHL players in the Worlds and the season for most European leagues finishes in March/April, which would leave some of the smaller teams with over 80% of their players 2-3 months without any serious hockey, and European fans wonīt be interested into hockey much in June/Jule, come on itīs summer holidays, just doesnīt go together with hockey
Move the tournament before the NHL regular season- Similar as No. 1, but it leaves you with 100% players who have not played serious hockey for months and therefore a lower level of hockey and again hockey in August
Have a WC every 4 yeats- Iīm sure you donīt want to kill the development of the sport, not only for the smaller elite level nations, but also for all the nations all the way down to Division III
Break during the NHL/other leagues- Itīs the best idea of these, but the NHL would never agree to this and IMO they donīt have a reason to, as for other leagues IMO they alread have national teams breaks numerous times during the season when tournaments like EHT or friendlies are played- one is in November, another before Christmas and one in early February

EDIT: I also forgot to say that the European teams are usually already preparing for the new season if it was played before the NHL/after the NHL season.

The NHL could maybe think about dropping some regular season games, the seaosn is too long, but that would mean the loss of money of course, so weīd never see that happen.

Qurpiz 05-21-2010 12:52 PM

Have the tournament every 4 years, alternating with the Olympics, in February. NHL has a break for 2 weeks. All the revenue goes to the NHL. The catch is, NHL has to participate to the Olympics, too, where they get no revenue.

slovakiasnextone 05-21-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qurpiz (Post 25934219)
Have the tournament every 4 years, alternating with the Olympics, in February. NHL has a break for 2 weeks. All the revenue goes to the NHL. The catch is, NHL has to participate to the Olympics, too, where they get no revenue.

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh:

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::h elp::help::help::help::help::help::help:

So, how exactly would you convince the European federations to join the tournament? Why should they give a damn? I love how the NA people come out how the WHC is a tourney that makes only and only the Europeans profit , but all they can come up with are absolutely arrogant ideas strongly biased for the NHL when it comes to altmernatives.

Dooman 05-21-2010 12:57 PM

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Just because YOU don't view it as important, it doesn't mean it isn't.

Oyabun 05-21-2010 12:58 PM

I don't think it is broken so there's no need to fix it. An olympic year and it's not as if there has been a steady drop in quality with the WHC. There's no doubt in my mind that next year, the top 7 will have teams that are much better than this year's turnout.

It felt like a real off year before the tournament started but I've actually enjoyed this year as much as any other. It's been fun watching the smaller nations competing and actually have a chance. I've also enjoyed seeing the young Swedish players step up and perform so well.

Stoneberg 05-21-2010 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siberian (Post 25934082)
Stop trying to fix something that has been great for decades. WC is huge in Europe and grows in Canada every year too.

Obviously I can't speak for the country but I'm not so sure how true this is. Personally, I've been getting less and less interested each year. However, I have been a lot more busy in recent years around the time of the tournament, to be fair. I have to admit it would be better if more Canadian players took it more seriously and accepted invitations as well.

My suggestion would be to push the tournament back so they could give a week or two break after the playoffs are over to all the NHL players, I bet a lot more star players would show up.

Elvs 05-21-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siberian (Post 25934082)
Stop trying to fix something that has been great for decades. WC is huge in Europe and grows in Canada every year too.

This was new to me. When Czech Republic, Finland, Sweden, Slovakia have around 3-6 NHL'ers in this tournament year in and year out you can tell it isn't a big deal.

Having the WC every second year would almost double the amount of NHL'ers in the tournament imo.

Siberian 05-21-2010 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stalberg (Post 25934325)
Obviously I can't speak for the country but I'm not so sure how true this is.

Based on the number of comments on tsn.ca WC's have been steadily growing in Canada in the last 5 years.

CanadaRules* 05-21-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slovakiaforever (Post 25934280)
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:: laugh::laugh::laugh:

:help::help::help::help::help::help::help::help::h elp::help::help::help::help::help::help:

So, how exactly would you convince the European federations to join the tournament? Why should they give a damn? I love how the NA people come out how the WHC is a tourney that makes only and only the Europeans profit , but all they can come up with are absolutely arrogant ideas strongly biased for the NHL when it comes to altmernatives.

Why would we care? The NHL is the best league in the world, and the rest of the european leagues are crap as witnessed by the sh*tshow the KHL players put on for Russia at the Olympics.

ronnyweed 05-21-2010 01:06 PM

nothing, your favourite country didn't win, move on

slovakiasnextone 05-21-2010 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaRules (Post 25934407)
Why would we care? The NHL is the best league in the world, and the rest of the european leagues are crap as witnessed by the sh*tshow the KHL players put on for Russia at the Olympics.

I will not answer to this Canadian ignorance for the sake of all normal Canadians.

Please continue making yourself look like an arrogant .....:laugh:

mikeo1 05-21-2010 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Siberian (Post 25934382)
Based on the number of comments on tsn.ca WC's have been steadily growing in Canada in the last 5 years.

You've been counting the number of comments on tsn.ca for the last 5 years? I'm sorry to tell you that you have wasted your time- those comments mean nothing.

Petro Points 05-21-2010 01:09 PM

1. Have it ever 2nd year
2. Pay the players more to play .. $$ talks.. $100K \ player + performance bonus
even the higest paid NHLers would consider this money for a 2 week tourney.

slovakiasnextone 05-21-2010 01:14 PM

As I expected, everyone here is comming out with all this have the tourney every 2 years/4 years thing and everything the way the NHL or Canada wants it thing. Noone here seems to give a damn about hockey in countries like Hungary, Slovenia, France etc. Probably when they see Hungary, you ask yourself: Hockey is played in Hungary? Not having the tournament every year isnīt a solution that would be good for hockey outside of Canada/NHL. Yes, hockey is played outside of Canada as well.

mexicohockey 05-21-2010 01:24 PM

It is a fact that the NHL has an interest in growing the game in Europe (see season operners), therefore it is quite obvious that a participation in the WHC is important for them too, given that it is pretty much the most watched hockey event in Europe outside of the Olympics.
That being said, the tournament will never mean very much to the NA audiences. It could be used as an important marketing tool for the NHL and/or individual organizations.
Just a very raw idea: So you could award the participation to one NHL team each (US and Canada) who doesn't make the playoffs (You will have to allow them to invite guest players from other teams/own draftees/and some other adjustments).
Obviously, they will not likely be contending to win, but can further develop their team and raise some interest both in their home market (consolation price) as well as in Europe. Bring the teams back for the season openers and you'll have a solid following in Europe. Perhaps award them an extra draft pick to raise interest.
Just an idea...

Apart from that, I'd discontinue WHCs in Olympic years. Just replace them with a European Championship that year....

slovakiasnextone 05-21-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexicohockey (Post 25934683)
It is a fact that the NHL has an interest in growing the game in Europe (see season operners), therefore it is quite obvious that a participation in the WHC is important for them too, given that it is pretty much the most watched hockey event in Europe outside of the Olympics.
That being said, the tournament will never mean very much to the NA audiences. It could be used as an important marketing tool for the NHL and/or individual organizations.
Just a very raw idea: So you could award the participation to one NHL team each (US and Canada) who doesn't make the playoffs (You will have to allow them to invite guest players from other teams/own draftees/and some other adjustments).
Obviously, they will not likely be contending to win, but can further develop their team and raise some interest both in their home market (consolation price) as well as in Europe. Bring the teams back for the season openers and you'll have a solid following in Europe. Perhaps award them an extra draft pick to raise interest.
Just an idea...

Apart from that, I'd discontinue WHCs in Olympic years. Just replace them with a European Championship that year....

If you say that there never will be interest in the WHC in NA, there is no reason to do this.

It is not Hockey Canada, who has a problem with the tournament, just anonymous hockey fans on the internet. Hockey Canada has no reason not to send a team to the WHC, because it has become a glorious tool for them in developing their national team for the next Olympics, seeing which of the kids are prepared for the challenge and giving an opportunity to prove themselves to the less heralded players.

Rabid Ranger 05-21-2010 01:36 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with the tourney per se. I wouldn't mind seeing it start after the NHL playoffs, but that's a selfish American talking.

mexicohockey 05-21-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slovakiaforever (Post 25934761)
If you say that there never will be interest in the WHC in NA, there is no reason to do this.

It is not Hockey Canada, who has a problem with the tournament, just anonymous hockey fans on the internet. Hockey Canada has no reason not to send a team to the WHC, because it has become a glorious tool for them in developing their national team for the next Olympics, seeing which of the kids are prepared for the challenge and giving an opportunity to prove themselves to the less heralded players.

I am aware that it is not Hockey Canada, but the NHL and large parts of the hockey community that show their apathy. For the sake of global hockey development a consensual cooperation between NHL and IIHF is essential from my POV. Hockey Canada can benefit as well from synergies with NHL organizations...

slovakiasnextone 05-21-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mexicohockey (Post 25934872)
I am aware that it is not Hockey Canada, but the NHL and large parts of the hockey community that show their apathy. For the sake of global hockey development a consensual cooperation between NHL and IIHF is essential from my POV. Hockey Canada can benefit as well from synergies with NHL organizations...

In an ideal world.....;)

Drake1588 05-21-2010 01:42 PM

Would it be the worst idea in the world if the US and Canada didn't send teams to the World Championships?

I'm not sure that it would be such a bad idea if this became a European invitational. European countries, federations and fans care most passionately about the tournament; the IIHF relies on it to generate revenues each year in Europe; and all North Americans do on a regular basis is put the tournament down, demeaning it by sending B and C and D teams to compete. Today's contest did nothing other than to say that the top Russian players, embarrassed in Vancouver, wanted to make up for their lack of success; while top Canadian players, following a long NHL season and victory in Vancouver, passed in record numbers. That is, players who are not still playing NHL hockey, passed in record numbers.

As it is, it's a tournament intended to bolster the IIHF's fortunes in Europe, spread the game to rising European hockey countries. The governing authority can't be bothered to delay the tourney two to three weeks to integrate the best players in the world who are still playing hockey during the NHL season, in a league that is international to a great extent, but which predominantly comprises players born in Canada or the US (76 percent North American, as of January 2010. Source).

We all recognize the reality that North American players and fans don't think much of the WHCs, and we all know that the IIHF doesn't think enough of the two North American nations to delay the tourney long enough to finish the NHL, AHL or even CHL seasons to allow the two countries to send their best players. Make it official: This tournament is about European teams and European fans, and always has been about Europe.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:58 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.