HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Kings Article: Jack Johnson Article / LA Weekly (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=779731)

TonySCV 05-24-2010 02:57 PM

Jack Johnson Article / LA Weekly
 
http://www.laweekly.com/2010-05-20/l...the-ice-jack/1

“It’s a long season, and the Playoffs are what hockey is all about. You lay it all on the line, and you find out how good your team is.”

Not quite good enough, as the Kings fell to the Vancouver Canucks in a six-game series. This young team will have to wait until next year to drink a bit of bubbly from Lord Stanley’s Cup. Indeed, Johnson will have the summer to wonder what might have been. He has certainly considered the feeling of hoisting sports’ toughest trophy to capture. “I think about how I’d spend the day with it,” [as tradition holds] but he is reticent to share the details, worried he might jinx a title. (No matter that years ago, he touched the Cup at the Toronto Hockey Hall of Fame.) “Yeah, I didn’t really think that would ever come back to be a problem. I was a kid. You don’t think you’re really ever gonna hold the Stanley Cup at center ice.”

Youngblood93 05-24-2010 04:15 PM

The teamís No. 1 draft pick in 2007 tabled his chance to become a millionaire at 18, when he turned down a contract with the Carolina Hurricanes, who drafted him No. 1 in 2005.

Bold = FAIL

I hate when reporters get the facts wrong.

The Tikkanen 05-24-2010 04:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Youngblood93 (Post 25980078)
The teamís No. 1 draft pick in 2007 tabled his chance to become a millionaire at 18, when he turned down a contract with the Carolina Hurricanes, who drafted him No. 1 in 2005.

Bold = FAIL

I hate when reporters get the facts wrong.

He's a number 1 draft choice twice, that's awesome.

etherialone 05-24-2010 04:55 PM

I am just curious, do reports do anything else?

JJ will hold a stanley cup over his head during his NHL career, I just hope that it is with us.

Telos 05-24-2010 06:34 PM

He is pretty focused and dedicated to whatever he is doing, I'll give him that. He has his goals and agenda, and nothing is going to stand in his way of completing them.

Cruel11 05-24-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

If he hadn’t laced up skates as a youngster growing up in a Detroit suburb, and set himself on the path to a career in the NHL, he says, he would have entered the military, as a Marine or a Navy SEAL.
Quote:

He doesn’t do the Southern California thing, either, as Johnson, who says he’s a good swimmer, never goes into the ocean. “I’m afraid of what’s in there. I’m a pool guy.
In order to be a Navy Seal, you have to be able to swim in the ocean. Just stick to hockey Jack. ;)

no name 05-24-2010 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cruel11 (Post 25984699)
In order to be a Navy Seal, you have to be able to swim in the ocean. Just stick to hockey Jack. ;)

I'm sure he's able to swim in the ocean. Most seals dont LIKE to swim in the ocean and everyone is afraid to be dropped out there for 14 hours. They go through the training because they are driven to be exceptional. Jack has that in spades.

DIEHARD the King fan 05-25-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no name (Post 25987811)
I'm sure he's able to swim in the ocean. Most seals dont LIKE to swim in the ocean and everyone is afraid to be dropped out there for 14 hours. They go through the training because they are driven to be exceptional. Jack has that in spades.

You are pretty far from Coronado Island. I dont know what its like in Virginia Beach (Seal Team 6) but, I am fairly certain that most SEALS have to spend a high number of hours in the water (ocean) every few months to keep current on their ratings for various scuba equipment. If you don't like the ocean you aint making it through BUD/s and you certainly will not survive Hell Week.

Defgarden 05-25-2010 10:24 AM

Hell, I don't like swimming at the beach since a wave nearly broke my damn neck. You don't mess around in the ocean man.

no name 05-25-2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan (Post 25992282)
You are pretty far from Coronado Island. I dont know what its like in Virginia Beach (Seal Team 6) but, I am fairly certain that most SEALS have to spend a high number of hours in the water (ocean) every few months to keep current on their ratings for various scuba equipment. If you don't like the ocean you aint making it through BUD/s and you certainly will not survive Hell Week.

If Jack wanted to do it he has the will to power through. I'm very afraid of what is in the ocean yet I surf like crazy and have done it with sharks around me in australlia. I've scuba dived with stuff I don't even know what the heck they are.

HYORI 1963 05-25-2010 01:12 PM

I shouldn't have watched Jaws at an impressionable age. :(

BringTheReign 05-25-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH63 (Post 25994957)
I shouldn't have watched Jaws at an impressionable age. :(

It had the opposite effect on me, after seeing Jaws I always wanted to see a shark in the ocean. Biggest thing I've seen is a freakin' Leopard Shark though. :laugh:

HYORI 1963 05-25-2010 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BringTheReign (Post 26000283)
It had the opposite effect on me, after seeing Jaws I always wanted to see a shark in the ocean. Biggest thing I've seen is a freakin' Leopard Shark though. :laugh:

How old were you when you saw it? I must have been in my pre-teens.

HYORI 1963 05-25-2010 09:02 PM

Am I crazy for still thinking that JJ may be a better player than DD when all is said and done?

Ollie Weeks 05-25-2010 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH63 (Post 26002011)
Am I crazy for still thinking that JJ may be a better player than DD when all is said and done?

In those words? Yes.

JDM 05-25-2010 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH63 (Post 26002011)
Am I crazy for still thinking that JJ may be a better player than DD when all is said and done?

Jack is a good player with incredible upside.

He has nothing on Doughty's type of talent.

Show me one thing that Johnson does that Doughty doesn't do better.

There is a whole lot that Doughty does that Jack does not do much at all.

Jack can be a great player. Hall of Fame talent. Jack is a once a year type talent though. Meaning that someone on the level I expect Jack to ultimately reach comes along about once a draft. I expect Jack to top out at a Weber or Seabrook.

Doughty on the other hand... well one of those come along once every 5 or 10 years if your lucky.

HYORI 1963 05-25-2010 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 26002118)
Jack is a good player with incredible upside.

He has nothing on Doughty's type of talent.

Show me one thing that Johnson does that Doughty doesn't do better.

There is a whole lot that Doughty does that Jack does not do much at all.

Jack can be a great player. Hall of Fame talent. Jack is a once a year type talent though. Meaning that someone on the level I expect Jack to ultimately reach comes along about once a draft. I expect Jack to top out at a Weber or Seabrook.

Doughty on the other hand... well one of those come along once every 5 or 10 years if your lucky.

Jack's a better skater, better at quarterbacking the pp and has a better physical game. The more responsibility JJ has, the better he will be.

William H Bonney 05-25-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 26002118)
Jack can be a great player. Hall of Fame talent. Jack is a once a year type talent though. Meaning that someone on the level I expect Jack to ultimately reach comes along about once a draft. I expect Jack to top out at a Weber or Seabrook.

Weber or Seabrook type of player or just in terms of ranking d-men? If it's the former, I couldn't disagree more and will explain more if that's the case.

I think the best comparisons for Jack would be, using current players, Duncan Keith or Andrei Markov, although Jack has the ability to be a much more physically imposing player than either of them.

JDM 05-25-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH63 (Post 26002184)
Jack's a better skater, better at quarterbacking the pp and has a better physical game. The more responsibility JJ has, the better he will be.

Doughty is just as mean. Not quite as strong, but Doughty started to show me just as much physicality towards the end of the year as Johnson. Johnson just does more of it because his stick and awareness aren't nearly at Doughty's level.

Skating... I'd say Jack is a more explosive skater. Not a better skater.

Better at QB'ing the PP? How so? I just can't agree with that at all.

As for your last point. I agree, Jack will grow with increased responsibility because he will respond to it.

JDM 05-25-2010 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William H Bonney (Post 26002218)
Weber or Seabrook type of player or just in terms of ranking d-men? If it's the former, I couldn't disagree more and will explain more if that's the case.

I think the best comparisons for Jack would be, using current players, Duncan Keith or Andrei Markov, although Jack has the ability to be a much more physically imposing player than either of them.

I more-so mean type of player.

When Jack shows me he can settle down and make the right quick decision more often than hesitating, I will start to think he can be on Keith's level. This is the main thing holding Jack back as a dominant NHLer and is the thing that separates Doughty and Johnson. Doughty doesn't always make the right decision, but he never hesitates and more often than not, makes the right play. Jack still has trouble trusting himself. For as competitive as he is, he gets in his own way. The game doesn't slow down for Jack as it does for Doughty.

I also think you underestimate Weber. In fact, I think Weber is much better than Seabrook. I put Jack's top end somewhere in between the two because of his play between the ears. He fixes that and the sky is the limit.

Sometimes that can be fixed. Sometimes it can't.

And for the record, I really like Johnson.

etherialone 05-25-2010 09:30 PM

This is a tough one for me because I think that you both make excellent points (JDM and RH).

On RH, Jack also has a full season + more NHL experience of DD and it is still too early to tell where either of them will top out but I agree that JJ has an element to his game that DD doesn't have at the same level and that is physicality.

On JDM, I agree that a DD type comes along once every five or ten years if your lucky and I would say even less frequently than that, time will tell. Though I feel that JJ is a level above the players that you compare him with and yet a level below DD. (elite level b?)

I see JJ as being above players like Seabroke (couldn't help it), Eric Johnson (former first overall) Weber (no real physical game at all) and the rest but only just so at this point in his career.

JJ has improved drastically each of his first couple of seasons in the NHL and is only going to keep getting better (baring injury knock on wood).

DD has improved drastically also over his first couple of seasons in the NHL and is only going to get better.

The fact that both of these guys are still kids and playing in the NHL is amazing. The fact that they are playing at such a high level is unlike anything that I have seen in a ton of years.

The fact that they are both Kings is unprecedented and has to be one of the greatest things that has ever happened to our team in a very long time.

Goodbye Manchester Escort Service.

William H Bonney 05-25-2010 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 26002282)
I more-so mean type of player.

When Jack shows me he can settle down and make the right quick decision more often than hesitating, I will start to think he can be on Keith's level. This is the main thing holding Jack back as a dominant NHLer and is the thing that separates Doughty and Johnson. Doughty doesn't always make the right decision, but he never hesitates and more often than not, makes the right play. Jack still has trouble trusting himself. For as competitive as he is, he gets in his own way. The game doesn't slow down for Jack as it does for Doughty.

I also think you underestimate Weber. In fact, I think Weber is much better than Seabrook. I put Jack's top end somewhere in between the two because of his play between the ears. He fixes that and the sky is the limit.

I don't disagree with your analysis on the biggest difference between Jack and Drew. I think Jack has that ability in him as well, maybe not on Drew's level but up there, he just needs to learn to rely on it. Jack still struggles with the idea that he can't always get by on his off-the-charts physical abilities. Most of the time he can but when he starts to rely on his cerebral ability more often, it will just make his physical abilities that much more useful. I think this is something Drew learned and continued to develop in juniors because he struggled with his weight/conditioning. That was never an issue for Jack. He was never challenged (by himself, competition, coaches, whatever) to lean on that part of his game until he got to the NHL. He's still figuring it out.

I disagree on the Weber/Seabrook comparisons though. I'm not underestimating Weber; he's a top 10/15 d-man in the league. He has a cannon of a shot and is more physical and a lot bigger than Jack. Jack is a much better skater, passer, breakout player, etc. There's a reason Ryan Suter handles those roles over Weber. They're not really comparable IMO. Levels they can take their games to? Sure but not all that similar. Seabrook is just overrated in general. He got exposed in the Olympics and was getting demoted in the Hawks lineup some afterward. He's a good d-man but more a product of Keith than anything. He's a poor man's Weber.

I think a lot of people are jaded in how they evaluate Jack because of Doughty. The impact Doughty has had at such a young age is an anomaly and shouldn't be used as the benchmark for other young d-men. I think people also forget that Jack struggled with injuries his first two years. This was the first full season he's had without having to deal with that.

JDM 05-25-2010 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by William H Bonney (Post 26002454)
I think a lot of people are jaded in how they evaluate Jack because of Doughty. The impact Doughty has had at such a young age is an anomaly and shouldn't be used as the benchmark for other young d-men. I think people also forget that Jack struggled with injuries his first two years. This was the first full season he's had without having to deal with that.

Absolutely.

I in no way mean to diminish Jack or his abilities by pointing out why Drew is better, which is where this conversation started, in response to RH claiming he thinks Jack will top out higher than Drew. The Weber/Seabrook comparison is a separate issue though the two have become entangled (my fault).

I have tons of faith in Jack. I just hope he figures out the game between the ears before he prices himself off the team. My concerns about Jack and his future with the team have nothing to do with abilities on the ice.

HYORI 1963 05-26-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 26003162)
Absolutely.

I in no way mean to diminish Jack or his abilities by pointing out why Drew is better, which is where this conversation started, in response to RH claiming he thinks Jack will top out higher than Drew. The Weber/Seabrook comparison is a separate issue though the two have become entangled (my fault).

I have tons of faith in Jack. I just hope he figures out the game between the ears before he prices himself off the team. My concerns about Jack and his future with the team have nothing to do with abilities on the ice.

No, I said Jack may be not will be.

TonySCV 05-26-2010 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH63 (Post 26008604)
No, I said Jack may be not will be.

That will never happen.

Jack's overall hockey IQ is nowhere near Drew's. Drew's is on another planet. You can't be taught the kind of innate hockey smarts that Drew has.

Jack could become a really, really good defenseman someday. But he's no Ray Bourque in the making.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:53 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.