HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   PVC vs. Pucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=779942)

Razzmatazz 05-24-2010 11:56 PM

PVC vs. Pucks

Does anyone know well PVC piping stands up to pucks?

cptjeff 05-25-2010 12:03 AM

Pucks win.

Razzmatazz 05-25-2010 12:07 AM

I figure slapshots would destroy it, but can it stand up to lighter shots? How hard would you have to shoot to break it is more what I'm wondering.

Hockeyfan68 05-25-2010 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 25988959)
Pucks win.

.... everytime.

Even my steel cage is all dented to Hell.:laugh:

PVC does not last in the cold I can atest to that one. A friend brought his to the lake one winter day and my brother and I killed it with 6 slapshots. Shattered into lots of pieces rather easily actually.

Wristshots will kill it also by the way easily.

Razzmatazz 05-25-2010 12:14 AM

Okay, that's pretty much what I was looking for...I'm a cheapskate, I'm doing the frame of my backstop with the stuff, don't intend to hit it, but I just wanted to see how well it would hold up if someone were shooting at it.

Jarick 05-25-2010 12:19 PM

Not well at all, we had a PVC goal that lasted about an hour, if that. Was fun to destroy though.

Cowbell232 05-25-2010 01:26 PM

I will use one of the most overused sayings on HFBoards.

The PVC will win, and it's not even close.

**** Farise 05-25-2010 01:35 PM

I made a net out of PVC like 8 years ago or so...the thing didn't even hold up against slap shots with street hockey balls once it got a little cold outside.

Razzmatazz 05-25-2010 02:05 PM

I'm in Florida, so the cold shouldn't be much of a problem ;)

I doubt I'll ever be using this thing in anything less than 50. I'm not certain, but that may be considered warm or possibly balmy for some of you guys :p

O23L 05-25-2010 06:28 PM

It will either sun rot, or the cold will destroy it

If the pucks dont first

Razzmatazz 05-25-2010 07:05 PM

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...baseandnet.jpg

This thing is only going to be outside when I'm using it, when I'm done it collapses and is put into the garage.

Here's a general model, it's subject to change.

The netting surface area will be 14 feet across, and 10 feet high, with plenty of slack in the netting (25x12 foot net). The top and bottom of the net are threaded through with nylon rope, which is run through the pipes, and can be pulled tight to collapse the net. If I put it out in the grass, I don't need a base, I will just use some support lines and stake it into the grass and it should be able to stand alone.

For the driveway, I'm putting together a base for the support lines to connect to.
I'll cut two 2x4s into 7 and 3 foot long pieces, and use the 7 foot sections (14 feet across) across the bottom in front of the bottom nylon rope to keep pucks from getting under the net and protect that part of the netting. The back will either be two more 2x4s or PVC (since it is shielded). At the corners of the base, hooks will screwed in for the support lines in place of stakes in the grass. So a large target with a protected base, if the PVC is in trouble, I have bigger things to worry about than breaking it (windows, windshields, etc) :)

Hockeyfan68 05-25-2010 10:47 PM

Cool riggamajigg .... Razzamatazz.

One can also spend a little more and get steel piping used for fencing, not the big fat cyclone fence stuff but the thinner pipe stuff that you use allen wrench elbow joints on.

I built one years ago and someone stole it.

dabeechman 05-25-2010 10:59 PM

I am in to my steel goal with netting for 55 bucks.

It really isn't all that expensive to build one if you use ebay for the netting and home depot for the pipe.

I bent, cut, and welded mine though...not sure if you have those resources.

timekeep 05-25-2010 11:23 PM

If you're using it as a backstop in warm weather it should not be too bad. My kid, when he was 10, broke a PVC pipe net his uncle built for him in a couple of days. Keep in mind it was colder up here in Canada than what you will see in Florida.

You could also use a big golfing net too if it is just to stop missed shots.

Razzmatazz 05-25-2010 11:53 PM

I'm just shooting into it without a goal for the time being, so I have the big 25x12 net hanging between the pipes, it will be stretched 14 feet wide, so hope I'm going to be accurate enough to keep it between that :nod:.

I think the wood in the middle of the base probably will see a few pucks, but the PVC should be relatively safe, it will be absorbing some pull from the netting when pucks hit it, but i don't think it will be enough bend to snap it.

GrouperTrooper 05-26-2010 06:30 PM

PVC works fine for a ball.
You could always fill the pvc with cement as a quick fix.

Personally after building and rebuilding many a hockey goal I moved on to chain link fence material. You can use the smaller pipe that run along the tops of chain link, they sell elbows out of white metal that works ok. But chain link and some standard fence post is the way to go. I've got a goal that's been going strong for years. Heavy SOB though.

Scotty94 05-27-2010 02:39 PM

I used to have separate PVC nets (made of heavy duty stuff) for both outside driveway hockey and also one for shooting roller hockey pucks in my basement.

Killed them both with wrist shots if that tells you anything. Hell, even mangled a steel piping net with wristers in the basement.

Razzmatazz 05-27-2010 05:31 PM

I've revamped the design, so all I will have on there is 2 ten foot pieces of PVC cut in half with a spread 14-15 feet apart. Even if one of them gets toasted, it's a quick replacement; the base is entirely wood, and by design, folds up real nice :D.

Razzmatazz 05-28-2010 03:15 PM

Okay, I have everything I need.

Tomorrow's project, putting this thing together :amazed:

Ingredients:

1 25x12 foot impact sports netting
4 five foot sections of PVC piping
2 PVC sleeves
4 clamps
2 seven foot section of 2x4
4 three foot sections of 2x4
1 100 foot rope
1 48 foot string
6 hinges
screws
1 power drill

Already looking at the materials, I may be able to trim the pipes and base down and still have a huge area covered.

I'm 6'1, that's what the 10 feet looks like, and I think it should be more than tall enough, plus this will separate halfway and fold for storage. If I ever added a goal, this would definitely cover some of those crossbar deflections.

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/x...0528001622.jpg