HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Injury Report: Boucher Could Return In SCF (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=780402)

Sawdalite 05-26-2010 01:47 PM

Boucher Could Return In SCF
 
Tweeted by NHLFlyers: Boucher says he's "not very far" from getting back into the lineup to presumably backup Leighton.

I believe I also heard him say that on CSN's *Daily News Live* before Game Five, IIRC. Please correct me if I'd wrong, but I remember the injury as being listed as so much worse and needing a couple months or so for him to recover.

... And the twisted tale just keeps getting more and more unbelievable. There will be some very interesting books written over the summer that if they were fiction, they would be labeled too corny to be taken seriously. ;)

If Boosh were to play in this coming series, what would it say for the makeup and determination of this team? 'No guts, no glory' is an old saying. Many lesser players than the ones who pull on the Flying P would have called it quits after being injured at such a point in the postseason... Gagne, Carter, Lappy, Leighton returned and contributed; Boosh is chomping on the bit.

Viller 05-26-2010 01:58 PM

Hopefully he creates the same emotionnal lift that Gagne, Lappy and Carter provided!

edit: He wont play though, no way in hell. Leighton had 3 shotouts against a very hot team.

Sawdalite 05-26-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viller (Post 26009172)
Hopefully he creates the same emotionnal lift that Gagne, Lappy and Carter provided!

edit: He wont play though, no way in hell. Leighton had 3 shotouts against a very hot team.

We have to hope that he is not needed for one reason or another.

But I have to say that the depth at goal is a very big advantage for the Hawks. If pressed or Leights goes south, the Flyers are up the proverbial creek. There is little wiggle room with an untested goalie on the bench for the Flyers. Boucher as the backup at least gives us a shot with an experienced player. No disrespect intended against Backlund, it just is what it is.

nevermore 05-26-2010 02:50 PM

Leighton get's injured in a tie Game 7 with 1 second to go. Boucher makes 5-7 unbelievable stops in OT and scores the game winner with 0:33 to go in the 3rd OT.

You know it will happen.

Hollywood Couturier 05-26-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevermore (Post 26009864)
Leighton get's injured in a tie Game 7 with 1 second to go. Boucher makes 5-7 unbelievable stops in OT and scores the game winner with 0:33 to go in the 3rd OT.

You know it will happen.

No no no. you got it all wrong. After the 2nd OT they're going to decide that a shootout is in order and Boosh will be brought in.

ShawnTHW 05-26-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawdalite (Post 26009371)
We have to hope that he is not needed for one reason or another.

But I have to say that the depth at goal is a very big advantage for the Hawks. If pressed or Leights goes south, the Flyers are up the proverbial creek. There is little wiggle room with an untested goalie on the bench for the Flyers. Boucher as the backup at least gives us a shot with an experienced player. No disrespect intended against Backlund, it just is what it is.

I dont think Huet is an advantage for the Hawks. Especially against us. Remember a few years back against him and the Habs. We lit him up.

agrudez* 05-26-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 (Post 26010034)
I dont think Huet is an advantage for the Hawks. Especially against us. Remember a few years back against him and the Habs. We lit him up.

*Caps

ShawnTHW 05-26-2010 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by agrudez (Post 26010166)
*Caps

Yep youre right, I am still elated from beatin the Habs.

fire bettman 05-26-2010 03:37 PM

It would be nice to see Boosh back on the bench, I think that would do a lot emotionally for the team.

In terms of playing though, Leightons our guy, I think everyone would agree with that.

Sawdalite 05-26-2010 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 (Post 26010034)
I dont think Huet is an advantage for the Hawks. Especially against us. Remember a few years back against him and the Habs. We lit him up.

What I was meaning to say was at the present time, without Boucher, the Hawks have a great advantage over the Flyers. They have a tested and experience goalie to come in in case of injury or their starter goes sour... At this time the Flyers have a 27 year old (IIRC) European goalie without any NHL experience to speak of, and little North American experience at all.

Huet beat the Flyers three games and had to be taken into OT to be beaten in Game Seven -- IIRC and no other Cap goalie was in the mix -- The Caps almost came back from elimination to extend the series to the max.

I would feel better, much better with Huet in net against the Flyers than Backlund in net against the Hawks. If Boucher could if needed come in as well as Leighton did I would be elated. I still think though that Huet is as good if not better than a Boucher no being anywhere near game shape off an injury.

... I am in agreement that Leights is the man going forward, but think that Boosh being able to back up would be an emotional boost, a better insurance policy and terrific story in the volume of feel good tales from this run.

DrinkFightFlyers 05-26-2010 04:41 PM

Sweet, with all the injuries that have happened in net this year for the Flyers, it never hurts having some insurance on the bench. Boucher was playing pretty well when he got hurt so in the event of an injury or a slip-up in net by Leighton, having Boosh back (potentially) is definitely a huge plus.

HoverCarle* 05-26-2010 04:53 PM

I hope Boucher lets Backlund back up in game 1 at least.

ShawnTHW 05-26-2010 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hovercraft (Post 26011805)
I hope Boucher lets Backlund back up in game 1 at least.

And what happens if Leighton goes down for some ungodly reason?

HoverCarle* 05-26-2010 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 (Post 26011847)
And what happens if Leighton goes down for some ungodly reason?

Rushing back from injury Boucher isn't much better than Backlund

I just mean so Backlund can say he played in the SCF

ShawnTHW 05-26-2010 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hovercraft (Post 26011871)
Rushing back from injury Boucher isn't much better than Backlund

Yes, he is.

ShawnTHW 05-26-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hovercraft (Post 26011871)
Rushing back from injury Boucher isn't much better than Backlund

I just mean so Backlund can say he played in the SCF

He will get his name on the cup regardless.

Sawdalite 05-26-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hovercraft (Post 26011805)
I hope Boucher lets Backlund back up in game 1 at least.

I understand Boucher practiced today and might be able to backup Saturday night.

I was thinking about it, and I don't really know for sure, but he may even have less rust than Huet... Has Huet played at all this postseason? Boosh would have to be healthy though, and not be ripe for a relapse.

I'm just so elated that the team could come in with everybody available. That has never been the case that I can remember. I do realize however that there could be many undisclosed injuries, and everyone is banged up and worn down at one extent or another from the regular season and all these hard and gruelling playoff games.

Start Leighton* 05-26-2010 06:52 PM

Everybody knows Leighton will break all his goalie sticks in game 7 and Backlund will come in and shutout the hawks in the 3rd period thus forcing OT were Powe will net the game winner.

Bryz4shiz 05-26-2010 06:57 PM

The first game he dresses Leighton is going to go down, but he'll hold on to the shutout Leighton as going.

Claude28Giroux 05-26-2010 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 (Post 26011931)
He will get his name on the cup regardless.

Would he? Cuz he dressed? (if Philly won it all that is lol)

ShawnTHW 05-26-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlurmsMckenzie (Post 26014835)
Would he? Cuz he dressed? (if Philly won it all that is lol)

Yea I think the rule is, if you have played 1 playoff game in any series, or dressed for one, you get your name on the cup.

v-man 05-26-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 (Post 26011931)
He will get his name on the cup regardless.

No, he wouldn't. He has to play at least one game in the Final, not just the playoffs. He didn't dress for enough games in the regular season (40). They can make exceptions, which they'll probably do for Emery if they win it, but not Backlund. He would still get a ring though. Mark Hartigan for instance played in the playoffs for both Anaheim and Detroit when they won, but his name doesn't appear on the Cup in either year.

Sawdalite 05-26-2010 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by v-man (Post 26015016)
No, he wouldn't. He has to play at least one game in the Final, not just the playoffs. He didn't dress for enough games in the regular season (40). They can make exceptions, which they'll probably do for Emery if they win it, but not Backlund. He would still get a ring though. Mark Hartigan for instance played in the playoffs for both Anaheim and Detroit when they won, but his name doesn't appear on the Cup in either year.

If what you're saying is true, Cote could be on the Cup without playing a postseason game but dressing for warm ups each game and being on the roster the entire regular season... But even though Backlund did see action in the postseason he would not?

What is the official rules on this? I will try and search for it and if I find I will post it in this thread.

This is all for educational purposes and is in no way intended to cast a jinx. :shakehead

Sawdalite 05-26-2010 10:31 PM

Per NHL.COM

To have one's name engraved on the Stanley Cup certain requirements must be met. A player must have at least 41 games played with the club or one game played in the Stanley Cup Finals. However, in 1994 a stipulation was added to allow a team to petition the Commissioner for permission to have players' names put on the Cup if extenuating circumstances prevented them from being available to play.


http://www.nhl.com/cup/fun_facts.html - Last item

So, the way I read this Cote could not be petitioned but Emery could and if Boucher doesn't play he could also. By playing do they consider dressing as playing, as a backup goalie? I suppose they could put the backup in for one shift at a 'safe' point in a game or series if he has to actually play... But in my mind dressing and sitting on the bench is playing.

Could the extenuating circumstance that prevented Cote from being available to play maybe be that there were at least 12 forwards available that would give the team a much greater chance to win the games? :sarcasm:

v-man 05-26-2010 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawdalite (Post 26016106)
If what you're saying is true, Cote could be on the Cup without playing a postseason game but dressing for warm ups each game and being on the roster the entire regular season... But even though Backlund did see action in the postseason he would not?

What is the official rules on this? I will try and search for it and if I find I will post it in this thread.

This is all for educational purposes and is in no way intended to cast a jinx. :shakehead

I'm pretty sure for skaters it's games played in the regular season. Sitting in the press box doesn't count. For goalies it's obviously a different story due the nature of the position.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.