HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Trading Tomas Plekanec for..... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=78042)

Poutine 05-15-2004 04:57 AM

Trading Tomas Plekanec for.....
 
Would it be a good idea for us to trade him (given we have too many small skilled forwards) for a young D prospect (something we are lacking)? Too many decent free agents forward on the market anyway. More rare to find potential offensive D anyway. So how about Tomas Plekanec

+ something for like Brent Seabrook

or Denis Grebeshkov

or Mark Popovic

or Kirill Koltsov\

+ something for Ryan Suter

or just anyone decent;x :banana:

Mike8 05-15-2004 06:24 AM

Prospect for prospect swaps rarely if ever happen unless the prospects are suspect. There's a good reason for that: prospects are full of potential and are more or less unknown commodities that no team wants to risk giving up on.

What happened if Plekanec fulfilled his potential and became a solid two-way centerman capable of racking points, and that 'offensive defenseman' Montreal obtained for him never made it past the AHL?

Doesn't make sense to move Plekanec for another prospect.

Mooch 05-15-2004 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
Prospect for prospect swaps rarely if ever happen unless the prospects are suspect. There's a good reason for that: prospects are full of potential and are more or less unknown commodities that no team wants to risk giving up on.

What happened if Plekanec fulfilled his potential and became a solid two-way centerman capable of racking points, and that 'offensive defenseman' Montreal obtained for him never made it past the AHL?

Doesn't make sense to move Plekanec for another prospect.

Agreed, because at this point Pleks is looking like a solid number two centre in the future with a good two way game!

Nihilism 05-15-2004 10:36 AM

You're not getting Grebeskhov for Plekanec

Garnet 05-15-2004 10:42 AM

Plekenec
 
I feel the Habs should hold on to Plekenec for at least one more year. Plekenec is similiar playing style to Koivu and Koivu only has one more on his contact. Its a safety thing for me. Outside of Plekenec what other prospects that the Habs have play center??

Mooch 05-15-2004 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garnet
I feel the Habs should hold on to Plekenec for at least one more year. Plekenec is similiar playing style to Koivu and Koivu only has one more on his contact. Its a safety thing for me. Outside of Plekenec what other prospects that the Habs have play center??

A year????, why trade him to begin with when hes going nowhere but up. I like this kid, and i think he shoul be given a shot next season full time.

Habs4ever 05-15-2004 10:59 AM

PLekanec has done more then any other top prospect
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch
A year????, why trade him to begin with when hes going nowhere but up. I like this kid, and i think he shoul be given a shot next season full time.


and you want him traded, he's got talent, and is very hard worker I don't see any flaw in his game, I think you're spoiled by too many prospects and can't see that Plekanec is ready and as good as it gets.

Mooch 05-15-2004 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs4ever
and you want him traded, he's got talent, and is very hard worker I don't see any flaw in his game, I think you're spoiled by too many prospects and can't see that Plekanec is ready and as good as it gets.

Ummmmm, i said i DONT want him traded. LOL!

Apolagize now......just kidding, it happens.

SuperUnknown 05-15-2004 12:06 PM

This won't be the most popular, but I think we should keep Plekanec for our 2nd line and trade Ribeiro for a dman.

Traitor8 05-15-2004 12:15 PM

There are good d-man on the UFA list that we can sign. Plekanac..I would give him 3rd line ice time and if he is good the put him on the 2nd line..
We can sign whatever we need on the UFA list except for obivously..OVECHKIN!

Poutine 05-15-2004 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike8
Prospect for prospect swaps rarely if ever happen unless the prospects are suspect. There's a good reason for that: prospects are full of potential and are more or less unknown commodities that no team wants to risk giving up on.

What happened if Plekanec fulfilled his potential and became a solid two-way centerman capable of racking points, and that 'offensive defenseman' Montreal obtained for him never made it past the AHL?

Doesn't make sense to move Plekanec for another prospect.

But we do it so often in MLB :blush:

And stop saying that because there is always a risk and return payoff

However, i believe that the habs' scouting >>> a lot of teams in the league, so this is basically worth it :mad:

After Hainsey, this team don't have anyone in terms of good D prospect

And if you look at the economic of NHL, good offensive Dmans with some defensive skill command higher salaries than a typical 20-30 goals scorer


The point is, Montreal's only weakness is its blueline, not enough physical and PP present

Imagine if we trade Plekanec and end up with someone like Komi#8?

Malakhov 05-15-2004 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poutine
The point is, Montreal's only weakness is its blueline, not enough physical and PP present

Size upfront.

Mooch 05-15-2004 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smail
This won't be the most popular, but I think we should keep Plekanec for our 2nd line and trade Ribeiro for a dman.

I agree with that, because imo i see Pleks as a bigger stronger and faster Ribs. But we have too give Plek some time, as he is not a sure bet yet. Maybe a year or two down the road, Ribs goes.

jacklours 05-15-2004 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch
I agree with that, because imo i see Pleks as a bigger stronger and faster Ribs. But we have too give Plek some time, as he is not a sure bet yet. Maybe a year or two down the road, Ribs goes.

Juneau is gone, give him his ice-time.

Mooch 05-15-2004 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacklours
Juneau is gone, give him his ice-time.

Agreed, he should be on the third line next season with Begin on the fourth or vice versa depending on how Pleks plays.

Poutine 05-15-2004 02:38 PM

so next year third line will be Bulis, Thomas and Ward?

That's a good looking third line, but will they get enough ice time to make a diff?

Juneau was a 30 goal 100+ points scorer once, and look what a third line duty done to him

In addition, let's keep in mind that our blueliners are still once of the worst in the league. (Poor offensive contribution and poor in fron tof the net coverage[Rivet game #3 second round on vinny's goal])

Mooch 05-15-2004 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poutine
so next year third line will be Bulis, Thomas and Ward?

That's a good looking third line, but will they get enough ice time to make a diff?

Juneau was a 30 goal 100+ points scorer once, and look what a third line duty done to him

In addition, let's keep in mind that our blueliners are still once of the worst in the league. (Poor offensive contribution and poor in fron tof the net coverage[Rivet game #3 second round on vinny's goal])

I like that.

With a fourth line of Higgins, Begin, Langdon/UFA

Marksman 05-15-2004 02:45 PM

Personally I dont see the need for trading another prospect defencemen. Theres Hainsey for high quality and good number of others for decent depth. Chances are there will be one or two hits if they pan out well. I have complete faith Savard can find good defenceman prospects for Gainey to draft.

SuperUnknown 05-15-2004 02:46 PM

I doubt Higgins will play 4th line duty if he sticks with Montreal. Also, Plekanec is one of Julien's favorite player, so if he sticks with the big team I wouldn't be surprised to see Julien play him over Ribeiro (clearly not one of his favorites).

Mooch 05-15-2004 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smail
I doubt Higgins will play 4th line duty if he sticks with Montreal. Also, Plekanec is one of Julien's favorite player, so if he sticks with the big team I wouldn't be surprised to see Julien play him over Ribeiro (clearly not one of his favorites).

Thats very true, although im not exactly sure of CJ feelings towards Ribs. Either way those "feelings" should not get in the way, the best player should play regardless of how much you like or dislike him.

SuperUnknown 05-15-2004 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mooch
Thats very true, although im not exactly sure of CJ feelings towards Ribs. Either way those "feelings" should not get in the way, the best player should play regardless of how much you like or dislike him.

I think CJ doesn't like Ribeiro's on-ice attitude and effort.

Poutine 05-15-2004 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smail
I think CJ doesn't like Ribeiro's on-ice attitude and effort.

not to mention his off the ice behaviors :banghead:

s7ark 05-15-2004 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garnet
I feel the Habs should hold on to Plekenec for at least one more year. Plekenec is similiar playing style to Koivu and Koivu only has one more on his contact. Its a safety thing for me. Outside of Plekenec what other prospects that the Habs have play center??

I'd prefer to wait a year before dangling Pleks as trade bait, but he's the most immediately "expendable" prospect given Koivu and Ribeiro get 1st and 2nd line duties, and Pleks plays their type of hockey. If any big move shows up on the block, I'd prefer to lose him than Kasty, Perez, or Higgins. That's two talented wingers and a potential 3rd line workhorse. I imagine a lot of interest could be garnered from an offer involving Hossa, Pleks, and a pick (although I'd like to give Hossa one last stab at it). It's too bad that Ribs led our team in scoring and won't be moved immediately because I'd rather build a second line around Pleks, to be honest.

Poutine 05-15-2004 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s7ark
I'd prefer to wait a year before dangling Pleks as trade bait, but he's the most immediately "expendable" prospect given Koivu and Ribeiro get 1st and 2nd line duties, and Pleks plays their type of hockey. If any big move shows up on the block, I'd prefer to lose him than Kasty, Perez, or Higgins. That's two talented wingers and a potential 3rd line workhorse. I imagine a lot of interest could be garnered from an offer involving Hossa, Pleks, and a pick (although I'd like to give Hossa one last stab at it). It's too bad that Ribs led our team in scoring and won't be moved immediately because I'd rather build a second line around Pleks, to be honest.

See to be honest with you, i actually think currently Pleks has more a trade value compare to skinny ribs, since he still got the potential. If we wait for another year to see how he develops, he might just be another Eric Chouinard. Then we wouldnot be able to get anything for him:blush:

Mike8 05-15-2004 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poutine
And stop saying that because there is always a risk and return payoff


You can ask me to stop saying this all you like, but it doesn't change the fact that these moves do not happen. Point out the last time a prospect was swapped for another when they were fairly highly touted.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Poutine
See to be honest with you, i actually think currently Pleks has more a trade value compare to skinny ribs, since he still got the potential.

That is nonsense. No prospect, unless they're considered can't-miss bluechippers, will have near the amount of trade value as a player who broke out offensively and led his team in scoring this past season.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.