HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Blade control? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=781491)

Socastee09 05-29-2010 10:41 PM

Blade control?

so i picked up a new pair of skates today, and from my recent post im transitioning from roller to ice and its been a bit tricky with stopping still. but i got on the ice and i could skate, turn, skate backwards, everything that i could ever do on a roller rink but stop! and it was a little frustrating, because the first thing i tried to practice was the snow plow and i got that after a little bit, but when i tried to stop using my one foot and using the back one for balance like i was told to do to try to learn it was really confusing and i kinda got the hang of it but idk if i am just scared to use both feet yet or just really dont know how, and a few times i guess i went to much and almost fell. so is blade control what i need to be focusing on? or am i doing something wrong?

HowToHockey 05-30-2010 12:36 AM

It's all about using your edges. The hockey stop is different than anything you do on roller blades, you have to lift some weight from your feet, turn both your feet sideways, lean back, and then slide a bit then stop.

Axxion89 05-30-2010 01:59 AM

For me, I recently got the hang of an "almost" hockey stop as I too am still learning. What helped me was stopping by turning at first but gradually, I would use my edges to stop by shifting my momentum more forward and using my edges to stop. Over time, it has enabled me to stop but follow the video posted above me and you will get it, it does take a lot of time!

Crosbyfan 05-30-2010 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Socastee09 (Post 26055253)
so i picked up a new pair of skates today, and from my recent post im transitioning from roller to ice and its been a bit tricky with stopping still. but i got on the ice and i could skate, turn, skate backwards, everything that i could ever do on a roller rink but stop! and it was a little frustrating, because the first thing i tried to practice was the snow plow and i got that after a little bit, but when i tried to stop using my one foot and using the back one for balance like i was told to do to try to learn it was really confusing and i kinda got the hang of it but idk if i am just scared to use both feet yet or just really dont know how, and a few times i guess i went to much and almost fell. so is blade control what i need to be focusing on? or am i doing something wrong?

There's your biggest problem.

You never fell.

You will learn it much, much faster if you work on it from both sides of the problem, leaning too much as well as not enough, and wearing enough gear that you are comfortable falling.

Those "few times you guess you went to much and almost fell" were probably the times you learned the most.

TheHMan 05-30-2010 12:02 PM

This guy gives you some drills to practice, starting with some really basic stops going all the way to the full blown hockey stop. It's really just a trick of using your edges and applying pressure in a particular way:

It was really fun practicing stops on the canal, hitting a patch of crumbly snow and doing a complete wipeout in front of everyone else.

Socastee09 05-30-2010 09:02 PM

thanks guys, and i have the snow plow down pretty much, and stopping with one leg with the back one keeping my balance. its just a new world of stopping when it comes to ice rather than roller. all i can do is keep trying, and i didnt have any gear on thats why i didnt do anything to stupid and fall lol.