HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Goaltender fighting off YOUR shot? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=783526)

Splitbtw 06-05-2010 06:16 PM

Goaltender fighting off YOUR shot?

How do you know when a goaltender is fighting off your particular shot?

I had a couple hours of stick time and a pretty decent goalie (I'm at about a C+ maybe; him a B+) seemed to be stopping but struggling with my shots but no one else. My slapshot seemed to give him trouble less of the time, but my snap snot seemed to confuse him.

I do not shoot particular hard all the time. I am learner how to better harness an actually snap shot with proper weight transfer but I think it was more an issue of a quick release.

Anyway to tell without actually asking him (I would have but didn't want to stand by the net while others were waiting to shoot)? Body language? Rebound length?

Edit: if it helps, I have a Reebok 8k with x60 Pm9. Goal I scored today in pickup was off the rush enter the zone and shoot on a different goalie (only shot he didn't butterfly or react to). Didn't think he was screened though it was a 1 v 2.

Gino 14 06-05-2010 08:20 PM

My guess would be that if you're "unskilled", you probably have not developed a regular shot, your release is awkward. That's what may have been giving the goalie some problems. I know that when I work with the learn-to-skate guys, they have some of the most god-awful releases and you never know where the puck is going.

kr580 06-05-2010 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino 14 (Post 26152339)
My guess would be that if you're "unskilled", you probably have not developed a regular shot, your release is awkward. That's what may have been giving the goalie some problems. I know that when I work with the learn-to-skate guys, they have some of the most god-awful releases and you never know where the puck is going.

A few weeks ago we started a scrimmage at stick time with a goalie in net. He was having tons of trouble with my (horrendous) shots. I got a goal and like 3 assists off rebounds because my crappy shots had him looking very confused and frustrated, but he shut down all the Silver/Gold league guys that were playing. So this may be true for you Splitbtw.

vinogradov8 06-05-2010 08:43 PM

I dont know how good or bad my releases are but this may be off topic, but what are some good sites to learn how to shoot correctly (except howtohockey.com)? Ive been looking for some that teach quick release methods.

Splitbtw 06-05-2010 10:49 PM

define a terrible release. i'm not talking fluttering pucks but a decent shot coming mid stride or a standing skate a few strides slapshot. it's happened less before, the only change mechanics-wise is more emphasis on flexing the stick.

densetsu 06-06-2010 01:14 PM

If it looks like your release is going to give a rocket of a shot, but you only actually shoot a 60mph slapper, then the goalie's timing is going to be off.

Goalies don't just react to the shot -- if that were the case they'd only have a couple tenths of a second to determine where a shot is going. Your body language, stick positioning, windup, and release all give hints to where the puck is going -- and if your windup and release give a shot that's completely different than 95% of other players, you're going to mess up a goalie who's not used to playing with you.

Hounsy 06-07-2010 02:33 PM

I can think of a handful of guys I see on a regular bases that have releases and/or velocity that makes the shot hard to pick up till late. Often thought if people could narrow down ways to emulate this it would be a good skill to learn.

Ragss 06-07-2010 04:41 PM

Ah the dreaded change-up...its an embarrassing way to get scored on. As a rookie goaltender, getting lit up by someone with a great shot doesn't hurt the ego that bad, its when someone wiffs on a shot that somehow goes in because nobody, not even the shooter, saw it coming that really hurts.

noobman 06-10-2010 04:31 PM

If you have no idea where you're shooting the puck, the odds are that the goalie doesn't either :laugh:

Jarick 06-10-2010 04:55 PM

My favorite was the captain of my team, great guy, not a great shooter. From the point, he takes a slapshot and the thing wobbles and flutters until it hits the blade of the goalie's stick, flips over him, and lands behind him in the net. I think that was the only goal he got for the last few years.

adaminnj 06-10-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 26232195)
If you have no idea where you're shooting the puck, the odds are that the goalie doesn't either :laugh:

That is my whole plan of attack. Look to the high blocker side and wiff it on the ice glove side.
it's ugly but it works some times.:handclap:

HerrAlex 06-10-2010 05:17 PM

It is easier to play goal against good players because you know where the shot is going. When bad players shoot it flutters and is very awkward.

Harv 06-10-2010 09:49 PM

As a goalie playing at the college level, I have a TERRIBLE time with beginner guys at stick time.

After facing a high level shots and then a slower guy comes down and blindly lets on fly, it throws my timing all off. I have to change my thinking and slow down my movements too.

I think that's what is happening.

noobman 06-11-2010 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adaminnj (Post 26232761)
That is my whole plan of attack. Look to the high blocker side and wiff it on the ice glove side.
it's ugly but it works some times.:handclap:

I'm on the other end of the spectrum... I can hit accurate shots from outside the blueline, but I shoot about as hard as a nine year old :laugh:

BadHammy* 06-11-2010 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harv (Post 26237326)
As a goalie playing at the college level, I have a TERRIBLE time with beginner guys at stick time.

After facing a high level shots and then a slower guy comes down and blindly lets on fly, it throws my timing all off. I have to change my thinking and slow down my movements too.

I think that's what is happening.

I've seen the same thing happen. A goalie who regularly plays at pick up with me and played some college is known to be pretty good, I saw some totally new dude, obviously wasn't very good, pop in a ton of goals. About a week later I asked him what the deal was and he said exactly the same thing.

KaraLupin 06-11-2010 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 26232195)

Yup. It's like when you see the grinder come in and shoot a rocket top corner. It's cuz he just shot it as hard as he could and got lucky with the accuracy part.

adaminnj 06-11-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 26242205)
I'm on the other end of the spectrum... I can hit accurate shots from outside the blueline, but I shoot about as hard as a nine year old :laugh:

I can fire rockets when I'm fresh then after the first few shifts I start to louse my shot so I start looking to the opposite side of the net and hope for be best wiff I can manage.:amazed:

Splitbtw 06-12-2010 03:04 AM

to clarify, my shots do not flutter. they have solid spin and decent pace in regards to wrist and snappers. my slapshots vary sometimes but the windup the same. the slapshop is my least used shot by far.