HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   A.J. Thelen (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=78370)

newf 05-16-2004 09:33 PM

A.J. Thelen

what do you guys think of him - solid D man who had a fantastic year at MSU (was this year his freshman year?). currently ranked 11th NA skater. any chance he'll be there for our second first round pick? i'd love to have him, but think 6 may be a reach.

NYR2 05-16-2004 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by newf
any chance he'll be there for our second first round pick? i'd love to have him, but think 6 may be a reach.

From what I've gathered from other posters about him, I would doubt it. Maybe if they move up with that second 1st round pick though?

nyrfuture 05-16-2004 09:49 PM

I would prefer Valabik or Barker over him anyday (Valabik more because of his size) but if he was there with our second first rounder, grab him. It's never bad to get another strong d-man. IMO I think he will go in the teens but if he is I would trade up in the teens to get Valabik(how bout another Chara) :p:

rnyquist 05-16-2004 09:50 PM

Thelen could go as early as #4, but WILL NOT make it out of the top 10. I personally, based on the rangers needs, would not take him. We have a MUCH MUCH more pressing need for a top line forward, no matter the position (prefer a center or LW, but would take a RW, like Radulov simply based on talent).

xander 05-16-2004 09:52 PM

theres a possibility that thelan might not be there when the rangers pick at #6, and most people have him going in the top 10. The only way the rangers draft him is if they take him at 6, which would be my preferance if Ladd is gone.

newf 05-16-2004 09:54 PM

i'd be surprised to see him go top 4, and i would address a bigger need with the 6 pick, but after that, i would not pass up theren just because we are have some depth in defense. you cannot deny what he's done as a freshman this year - http://msuspartans.collegesports.com...051204aaa.html

in my opinion, he's the real deal.

rnyquist 05-16-2004 09:57 PM

Quote:

i'd be surprised to see him go top 4, and i would address a bigger need with the 6 pick, but after that, i would not pass up theren just because we are have some depth in defense. you cannot deny what he's done as a freshman this year - http://msuspartans.collegesports.com...051204aaa.html

in my opinion, he's the real deal.

Oh he's the absolute real deal, and if we didn't have TJutin, Pock, Rachunek, Kondratiev among a good set of others i'd love him at #6, and i'd even trade up if the price was right. BUT that said, we MUST get a scoring forward at the #6 for we REALLY REALLY lack one. I don't care if it's Schremp, Olesz, Radulov or even Ladd, but if we don't walk out with one of the top 3 or even Ladd then I'll be quite upset

nyrfuture 05-16-2004 09:59 PM

I agree LW is a BIG need for this franchise, so lets grab a good one :)

NYR469 05-16-2004 10:00 PM

some think that thelen is just as good or better than barker...so figure out the 2 teams that most need a dman and figure that both barker and thelen will most likely be gone after the 2nd one picks.

nyrfuture 05-16-2004 10:05 PM

No8 Young Gun

A.J. Thelen

Name: A.J. Thelen
Position: Defenseman
DOB: March 11, 1986
Height: 6-3
Weight: 210
Shoots: Left
Hometown: Savage, Minnesota, USA
Team: Michigan State Spartans (NCAA)

Profile:
Thelen has been a favorite amongst the Young Guns scouts all season. In fact, some of us thought so highly of him that there have been many heated debates about whether or not Thelen should rank higher than Barker. Alas, Thelenís quiet playoff run with the Spartans has quelled that discussion (at least until next month!). His post season notwithstanding, Thelen proved to be a potent offensive force in his freshman season at Michigan State.

He established himself as their biggest offensive threat from the blueline and was their fourth leading scorer overall. Thelen finished the season as the highest scoring defenseman in all of NCAA Division 1 Hockey. Anytime a 17 year old freshman can have that much of an impact on a US college team, not to mention on a league, you have to appreciate the accomplishment. Thelen is a very strong and smooth skater. He has excellent hockey sense and vision of unfolding plays. He can play physical and has shown a willingness to improve his defense (which isnít that bad to begin with). Whenever Barker gets picked on Day One of the upcoming draft, we have no doubt that Thelen will soon follow.
Year Team League GP G A PTS +/- PIM
02-03 USA NTDP17 61 6 8 14 80
02-03 USA NTDP18 3 0 0 0 0
03-04 Mich. St. NCAA (PO's) 40 11 18 29 50
03-04 Mich. St. NCAA (PO's) 4 0 0 0 -3 10 :joker:

rnyquist 05-16-2004 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrfuture
I agree LW is a BIG need for this franchise, so lets grab a good one :)

I'd take one with the 2nd 1st. IMO there's at least 5 or 6 guys ahead of of the top LW, which is Ladd.

xander 05-16-2004 10:10 PM

you've got to draft the best available player , if they think thelan is substancially better than any of the available forwards then you can't go down in talent to get one. What i've know of the forward prospects in the 6-10 range is all from others, so my opinion isn't all that informed, but if ladd+Olesz is gone i'd rather they take thelan and then trade up to get picard in the low teens than reach on a forward.

rnyquist 05-16-2004 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xander
you've got to draft the best available player , if they think thelan is substancially better than any of the available forwards then you can't go down in talent to get one. What i've know of the forward prospects in the 6-10 range is all from others, so my opinion isn't all that informed, but if ladd+Olesz is gone i'd rather they take thelan and then trade up to get picard in the low teens than reach on a forward.

I dunno there's guys like Tukonen, Schremp and Radulov who could be absolutely amazing players and aren't a stretch to draft #6 at all.

Synergy27 05-16-2004 10:20 PM

What about David Booth? I saw a few WJC games on TV and this kid really stuck out for some reason. Very energetic, all hustle, and seems like a good kid off the ice according to that MSU article. I would definitely like to see the Rangers grab him with one of their 2nds.

rnyquist 05-16-2004 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synergy27
What about David Booth? I saw a few WJC games on TV and this kid really stuck out for some reason. Very energetic, all hustle, and seems like a good kid off the ice according to that MSU article. I would definitely like to see the Rangers grab him with one of their 2nds.

Ya, he could be such a steal as his talent is great and had such a good year.

xander 05-16-2004 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rnyquist
I dunno there's guys like Tukonen, Schremp and Radulov who could be absolutely amazing players and aren't a stretch to draft #6 at all.

as i said, everything i know is from others, so i don't have a strong opinion on these guys. Shremp has been falling on most people's boards and tukonen and radulov seem to be all over the place. I wouldn't be adverse to taking Tukonen or Radulov, but if the rangers think that thelan is a substancially better player would be very against them making a reach. Pick the best available player, don't sacrafice talent for need, expecially in the NHL where you won't see these guys for 2 years anyway.

I want the rangers to come away with a big lwft winger too, i just don't think you should take a downgrade in talent to do it.

newf 05-16-2004 10:56 PM

my philosophy for a draft is you have to make your team stronger. if that means taking the best player regardless of position, you do it. especially in the nhl. 18 years old - its a bit of a crap shoot. the nfl you can draft to fill needs.

but in this case, if theren's the best player there when they draft, you have to take him. bottom line is you make the club stronger. if 2 years down the road it means you have too many quality nhl defensemen, you deal with it then, and you can still improve your team then.

let me put it this way - nobody's complaining that we have both blackburn and lundquist, even though we all know if they both reach they're potential, we can't have them both. but in a year or two, if they are both ready to be nhl starters, you keep one and trade the other one away for good return. both players end up making the rangers stronger.

Barnaby 05-16-2004 11:11 PM

If the top 5 picks are Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Barker, and Ladd, then I take Thelen. If one of the other 5 are there then I take them. Odds are Ladd or Thelen, but I would def consider moving up to grab a guy like Olesz at 4 or something if the price is reasonable.

rnyquist 05-16-2004 11:11 PM

Quote:

my philosophy for a draft is you have to make your team stronger. if that means taking the best player regardless of position, you do it. especially in the nhl. 18 years old - its a bit of a crap shoot. the nfl you can draft to fill needs.

but in this case, if theren's the best player there when they draft, you have to take him. bottom line is you make the club stronger. if 2 years down the road it means you have too many quality nhl defensemen, you deal with it then, and you can still improve your team then.

let me put it this way - nobody's complaining that we have both blackburn and lundquist, even though we all know if they both reach they're potential, we can't have them both. but in a year or two, if they are both ready to be nhl starters, you keep one and trade the other one away for good return. both players end up making the rangers stronger.

Exactly, BPA, trade from strength. If the BPA when we step up to draft are only RW's then in 2-3 years we may have 5 top 2 line RW's but we could easily move them to the other wing or dealthem, the options are endless, but one should never stretch to draft for position.

Edge 05-17-2004 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
If the top 5 picks are Ovechkin, Malkin, Olesz, Barker, and Ladd, then I take Thelen. If one of the other 5 are there then I take them. Odds are Ladd or Thelen, but I would def consider moving up to grab a guy like Olesz at 4 or something if the price is reasonable.

That's pretty much how I see it.

Edge 05-17-2004 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by synergy27

Wasn't bowled over by what i saw and it should be mentioned he is older than some of the other kids seeing as he is an 84 birthday.

Larry Melnyk 05-17-2004 08:58 AM

Love THELEN...Best D-man in the draft in these eyes..I would have no problem with him at the #6 spot (and the Rangers like MSU guys)....Still. forward is a bit more of a need and I would probably take Radulov or Tukonen before himn, if available...

Edge 05-17-2004 09:00 AM

one guy who really perks my interest {though not at 6} is Zajac. Big kid who does everything well and has an offensive upside.

He's a kid I wouldn't mind grabbing in the teens.

RangerBlues 05-17-2004 09:15 AM

IF Big is what ya want
BORIS VALABIK 6'7" 212 at 18 :amazed:
If he was around in the 2nd round it would be worth it.

NYR469 05-17-2004 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerBlues
IF Big is what ya want
BORIS VALABIK 6'7" 212 at 18 :amazed:
If he was around in the 2nd round it would be worth it.

i expect him to go around 15...