HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Sidney Crosby (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=78373)

nyrfuture 05-16-2004 09:45 PM

Sidney Crosby

I want this kid to wear ranger blue very bad, so I hope we finish in the bottom 3 to have a good chance in the lottery. I have seen some highlight reel goals from him and he looks awesome. Whoever gets #1 won't trade it (hopefully us) Besides Crosby who are the other top prospects in the '05 draft. Will the talent pool be deep or will it be a rerun. I never thought in my life I would want the rangers to suck, but it seems that way anyway, so why not? It would be cool having a FRANCHISE PLAYER, so I pray. :jump:

NYR2 05-16-2004 10:26 PM

I think every single one of us wants him in Ranger blue. :joker: It would be pretty friggin great.

NYblades 05-17-2004 09:10 AM

Sidney Crosby or Alexander Ovechkin

How does Sidney Crosby compare to Ovechkin in terms of "Can't Miss" potential. I haven't seen any video on Crosby, is he really the next Gretsky?

Edge 05-17-2004 09:16 AM

I dunno if he is the next Gretzky but I'd put him in that elite Sakic, Kariya, Yzerman elite level.

Personally I think he is much better than Ovechkin but they are two totally different players and play two totally different games.

Crosby will be a franchise player. If the Rangers get him, with their current efforts and their financial depth, they'd have a great chance at becoming {dare I say it} a Dynasty.

But the Rangers are one of 30 teams that would sell their soul for the chance to draft him, so don't count on it.

Fletch 05-17-2004 09:21 AM

Rangers won't get him..

and every team in the league will be gunning for him.

Edge 05-17-2004 09:25 AM

dont underestimate just how difficult next season might be for this team if there is one.

i wouldnt be the least bit suprised to see this finish with one of the 5 worst records in the league.

Fletch 05-17-2004 09:34 AM

I do underestimate them, Edge...

as well as Sather. I see him making enough moves to correct a couple problems and get this team out of the bottom 5 (heck, even with this bare-bones team at the end it wasn't bad enough to get a lottery pick). I see him correcting the goaltending problem, somehow. I see him doing something on defense, to augment a fully-recovered Kaspar, as well as Tyutin, Rachunek, Pock and others. I do see a couple vets coming in, call them Rucinsky and Barnaby (and maybe a centerman), to complement Holik and Jagr. And if a good coach comes in too, and a surprise player or two (like the emergence of Balej, or Lundqvist), this team all of the sudden loses its lottery pick.

Edge 05-17-2004 10:18 AM

I dunno though, this team still lacks consistent goaltending and though the names you mentioned have potential, it's going to take a long time to win games.

I think this teams ability to sign free agents is lower now and even if this team signs a Rucinky and a Barnaby, I can't see 25 some odd goals being the difference when we have such a young defense and inconsistent goaltending.

With a depleted roster we couldnt crack the top 5 but the first 4 teams drafting in the lottery had a huge headstart on the Rangers and there is no doubt in my mind that Phoenix tanked it if ever there was a case.

This team also loses Messier who for all his declining ability still finished with 18 goals and 40 points .

It's not likely, but its not impossible either considering that the teams picking 1-4 this year could arguably get immediate help from their picks.

Fletch 05-17-2004 10:46 AM

I can't totally disagree...

Edge, I'm just worried that Sather's able to get this team out of the bottom 10 and not in the top 16. I see a move for in goal. I see Lundmark and Poti as trade bait for who, who knows, but it could be for almost anyone. There are all those pick, etc. We'll see...Washington got lucky, even with Kolzig, Jagr, Lang, etc., and obviously the Rangers could too.

NYblades 05-17-2004 11:25 AM

Crosby video

After reading the response from Edge about Crosby, I just looked at the video of him scoring a trick goal and can see why everyone considers Crosby a special player. Below is the description of the video of this goal which has probably already been discussed on the board.

On November 28th againts the Quebec Remparts, Sidney Crosby's made his version of the "Mike Legg" goal (University of Michigan), it was Crosby's 2nd goal of the game , he had 6 total points. The goal was that trick play where you go behind the net, flip the puck onto your stick's blade... then carrying into the top corner.

Fletch 05-17-2004 11:43 AM

Sounds nice...

but haven't seen that one in the NHL of late.

Melrose_Jr. 05-17-2004 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYblades
On November 28th againts the Quebec Remparts, Sidney Crosby's made his version of the "Mike Legg" goal (University of Michigan), it was Crosby's 2nd goal of the game , he had 6 total points. The goal was that trick play where you go behind the net, flip the puck onto your stick's blade... then carrying into the top corner.

I saw it. Looked like a Lacrosse play. Also earned him a LOT of bad press including some scathing commentary from Don Cherry, whatever that's worth.

Fotiu22 05-17-2004 12:45 PM

why bad press? if you can make a legal play to score a goal who cares how you do it? there was a goalie in net, right?

NYblades 05-17-2004 12:50 PM

Crosby goal video

For those that haven't seen it yet here's the link.

http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/f/hors...#VIDEO%20CLIPS

Barnaby 05-17-2004 12:52 PM

I'd take Crosby - a North American kid. Who would you take a Sakic-type or a Jagr-type? I'll take Sakic any day. Crosby seems like a guy who loves the game while Ovechkin has a questionable attitude.

Not to mention the leaders on a team are more likely then not North American guys (Yzerman, Roenick, Sakic..etc) Of course you have your Forsbergs and Sundins, but it just seems like the people from over here make better leaders/captains.

Melrose_Jr. 05-17-2004 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fotiu22
why bad press?

Some people were branding him with a "show-boater" label. To be fair, an equal number of "cooler heads" came to his defense and said, hey, he's 16 freakin' years old, give him a break! Bob MacKenzie suggested it's the type of thing that happens when you're flat our bored by the level of competition you're playing with, nothing more.

BobMarleyNYR 05-17-2004 12:58 PM

I've seen Crosby. Gretzky claims he's the best he's seen since he saw Mario at that age. I'm so excited about it. There's Crosby, Brule, Latendresse. I almost think we should blow another season just to get in the top 3!

Ovechkin -- some people, I don't think realize what he means. ISS have been ******** thing their pants over him for the past three years; he should be the next be the next best thing.

I've heard outlandish comparisons to Kovalchuk... Kovalchuk is a finesse scoring machine, while Ovechkin is a power forward. He might not score like Kovalchuk does, but I think he might be a much better player. However, Ovechkin is really in Crosby's shadow as of now, and I think Crosby has more potential. Different type of players all together, mind you.

RangersFan 05-17-2004 01:04 PM

From what little i've seen of them both, I'd rather have Ovechkin. He's bigger and more responsible defensively. Crosby prett small...

in the hall 05-17-2004 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangersFan
From what little i've seen of them both, I'd rather have Ovechkin. He's bigger and more responsible defensively. Crosby prett small...

Crosby is 16 and 5'11

Ovechkin at 16 was 6'0

Ovechkin has almost 3 years on Crosby

xander 05-17-2004 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
I'd take Crosby - a North American kid. Who would you take a Sakic-type or a Jagr-type? I'll take Sakic any day. Crosby seems like a guy who loves the game while Ovechkin has a questionable attitude.

Not to mention the leaders on a team are more likely then not North American guys (Yzerman, Roenick, Sakic..etc) Of course you have your Forsbergs and Sundins, but it just seems like the people from over here make better leaders/captains.

questionable charecter? where did you read that, everything i've read says that ovechkin's attitude is one of his strength's. are you saying that just becouse he's russian?

as for crosby's attitude issue, i'm more than happy to take the aposing opinion to Don Cherry on any issue, the man's an egotistical moron and i can't remeber the last time he was right about anything.

Bird Law 05-17-2004 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xander
questionable charecter? where did you read that, everything i've read says that ovechkin's attitude is one of his strength's. are you saying that just becouse he's russian?

Ovechkin has one of the best leadership-honed attitudes I have ever seen from a young man.

NYR2 05-17-2004 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
dont underestimate just how difficult next season might be for this team if there is one.

i wouldnt be the least bit suprised to see this finish with one of the 5 worst records in the league.

For the benefit of the team I hope that's the case. Another year of hell sucks, but I can make the sacrifice. :joker:

Son of Steinbrenner 05-17-2004 06:31 PM

no way do i want the rangers to blow a whole season just for the chance to get the first shot in the lottery. the first reason is pittsburgh this past season. the second is there have been far to many busts. To waste a whole season for an unknown player is dumb.

Now if the rangers end up with the first pick in the draft next season i won't complain. the rangers need to make the playoffs next season more than getting some unknown prospect.

Unknownbutfamous 05-17-2004 07:15 PM

The Rangers are not making the playoffs next year or the year after that! This rebuild isn't going to happen overnight. It will take at least 3 years to make in the playoffs, and 2 more years after that to be a CUP contender.

True Blue 05-17-2004 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
the rangers need to make the playoffs next season more than getting some unknown prospect.

Why do they NEED to make the playoffs? That's the thinking that got us the last 7 years. I'm not saying that I do not want the playoffs, I do. But next year's team is going to be FAR less talented than the previous 7. Plus if Jackass is really serious about a rebuild, why would he go out and sign a boatload of UFA's (most of whom probably have no intention of coming here to begin with). Next year is to be spent on developing kids. Playoffs should be gravy.
It's not impossible, off course. But just thinking of the roster for next year, it is pretty hard to envision a 90+ point team (the amount that seems to be needed to make the playoffs).