HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Bos-Tampa (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=783748)

PJ StockBB 06-06-2010 03:50 PM

Bos-Tampa
 
To Boston:Ryan Malone

To Tampa: Tim Thomas, Matt Hunwick, Brad Marchand, Bos 2nd rounder

Boston gets a big top 6 winger who can score a little which they need. they get rid of the thomas contract for another less than great contract but at least the contract is a winger and not a goalie who won't play for us.

Tampa gets a true #1 goalie, a good skating puck moving defense man and a young prospect who is NHL ready plus a solid second round pick.

My thought on this is two pretty big contracts that are questionable are getting moved. Both players, thomas and malone, are good and contracts are pretty even but i think the Thomas one is a little worse so Boston needs to sweeten the pot to make the trade work.

I know Thomas has a NMC but he might move it to be the #1 goalie in Tampa, they are a very promising team who imo is close to contending. Also he is good friends with Marty from their days in Vermont.

thoughts?

The Fear Boners 06-06-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ StockBB (Post 26160577)
To Boston:Ryan Malone

To Tampa: Tim Thomas, Matt Hunwick, Brad Marchand, Bos 2nd rounder

Boston gets a big top 6 winger who can score a little which they need. they get rid of the thomas contract for another less than great contract but at least the contract is a winger and not a goalie who won't play for us.

Tampa gets a true #1 goalie, a good skating puck moving defense man and a young prospect who is NHL ready plus a solid second round pick.

My thought on this is two pretty big contracts that are questionable are getting moved. Both players, thomas and malone, are good and contracts are pretty even but i think the Thomas one is a little worse so Boston needs to sweeten the pot to make the trade work.

I know Thomas has a NMC but he might move it to be the #1 goalie in Tampa, they are a very promising team who imo is close to contending. Also he is good friends with Marty from their days in Vermont.

thoughts?

Thats a lot of salary coming back for us and i'm not completely sold on Thomas in front of a... well, bad defense in Tampa. We also had enough trouble scoring goals and losing Malone really hurts when hes been one of two guys (the other being Downie) that is going into the corners and doing the dirty work.

PJ StockBB 06-06-2010 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey (Post 26160794)
Thats a lot of salary coming back for us and i'm not completely sold on Thomas in front of a... well, bad defense in Tampa. We also had enough trouble scoring goals and losing Malone really hurts when hes been one of two guys (the other being Downie) that is going into the corners and doing the dirty work.

that's understandable. but i think Thomas will make your defense look better and Hunwick should help a little as well. not to mention another year of Hedman maturing should help.

i thought the salary going to Tampa might be a problem, maybe we could take back Mike Smith to be our back up. i would not be to opposed to that.

Lord Ahriman 06-06-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ StockBB (Post 26160577)
To Boston:Ryan Malone

To Tampa: Tim Thomas, Matt Hunwick, Brad Marchand, Bos 2nd rounder

Boston gets a big top 6 winger who can score a little which they need. they get rid of the thomas contract for another less than great contract but at least the contract is a winger and not a goalie who won't play for us.

Tampa gets a true #1 goalie, a good skating puck moving defense man and a young prospect who is NHL ready plus a solid second round pick.

My thought on this is two pretty big contracts that are questionable are getting moved. Both players, thomas and malone, are good and contracts are pretty even but i think the Thomas one is a little worse so Boston needs to sweeten the pot to make the trade work.

I know Thomas has a NMC but he might move it to be the #1 goalie in Tampa, they are a very promising team who imo is close to contending. Also he is good friends with Marty from their days in Vermont.

thoughts?

Beyond than a overpayment.

The Fear Boners 06-06-2010 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJ StockBB (Post 26160901)
that's understandable. but i think Thomas will make your defense look better and Hunwick should help a little as well. not to mention another year of Hedman maturing should help.

i thought the salary going to Tampa might be a problem, maybe we could take back Mike Smith to be our back up. i would not be to opposed to that.

That could work out a bit better, with Smith going the other way, but I still have a big question mark as to Thomas making us look better, or us making him look worse, if that makes sense.

NinthSpoke06 06-06-2010 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey (Post 26161193)
That could work out a bit better, with Smith going the other way, but I still have a big question mark as to Thomas making us look better, or us making him look worse, if that makes sense.

Add in Mike Smith and I would still do the deal. Ryan Malone would be a perfect 2nd line winger for us.

WreckItRask 06-06-2010 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey (Post 26161193)
That could work out a bit better, with Smith going the other way, but I still have a big question mark as to Thomas making us look better, or us making him look worse, if that makes sense.

I get the hesitation on Thomas because of his salary/age/etc, but I find the notion that he's a system goaltender so laughable. People make it sound like the Bruins have been rolling out 6 All Stars in their D core the past few years, and Thomas has been the beneficiary. He was 4th in the league in SV% in 07-08 (and the Winning goalie in the All Star game) despite playing behind a team that barely made the playoffs. Last year he won the Vezina, and this year he "struggled" to a top 15 finish in goaltending categories before being replace by the best statistical goaltender in the NHL.

Again, the market for Thomas is extremely limited and all Bruins will acknowledge that. But it's not because he's not a viable #1 NHL goalie, it's for all those those other mitigating factors (age/salary/NTC/lack of need for a goalie/etc). The notion that the guy would wilt under Tampa's defense just seems laughable to me. You might not want him, and I'm fine with that, but he's significantly better than anything you have right now.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.