HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Minnesota Wild (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   6/7 Discussion - One Thing You Would Change About The NHL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=784009)

GopherState 06-07-2010 12:09 PM

6/7 Discussion - One Thing You Would Change About The NHL

Let's face it, commissioner Gary Bettman sucks at connecting with hockey fans. It seems like he could say that tomorrow would be sunny and do it in a way which angers the populace. So it came as no surprise that after hearing commissioner Gary Bettman's State of the NHL address, there was another round of gripes concerning a multitude of subjects.

So in spite in honor of our favorite rascal, what is the one thing you would change about the NHL? There's no poll due to open-ended nature, but it can be Wild-related, league-related, rules-related or really anything that the league has power over.

Dr Jan Itor 06-07-2010 12:19 PM

Contraction/relocation/re-aligning conferences & divisions

Take away the extra 2 minutes for a high stick drawing blood (seriously? an extra minor for bad luck?)

Turn the puck-over-glass delay of game penalty into the same rules as an icing (more penalties for bad luck?)

Regular season OT should be 4 on 4 for 10 minutes, then a shootout with a loser point ONLY for a loss in a shootout

I know that's more than one, but, oh well.

BigT2002 06-07-2010 01:30 PM

allow linesmates to call minor penalties if they witness the infraction. Discuss it with the Ref to ensure that is what he would call in that case and go from there. Get rid of the other ref so there is only one.

Jarick 06-07-2010 01:34 PM

Only one thing, go back to 5 min 5-on-5 OT then end the game in a tie, all games worth 2 points.

shleeban 06-07-2010 01:39 PM

Its more of a CBA change, but outrule the ability to sign rediculously long contract extensions. See: Marian hossa

Also wouldnt mind seeing NTC and NMC done away with

The Big Unit 06-07-2010 02:14 PM

I'd only change the trapezoid rule. I think people make too much of the shootout and the loser point. They create excitement and better playoff races so they're good for the league in my books.

GopherState 06-07-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor (Post 26174210)
Regular season OT should be 4 on 4 for 10 minutes, then a shootout with a loser point ONLY for a loss in a shootout

This would be my one change, although I would like to totally get rid of the loser point so there is no incentive to play for OT/shootout.

shleeban 06-07-2010 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GopherState (Post 26176619)
This would be my one change, although I would like to totally get rid of the loser point so there is no incentive to play for OT/shootout.

You know they could change it so that if you WIN in overtime you only get one point.....

How about THAT for a twist?:yo:

this providence 06-07-2010 03:23 PM

First thing is just a stupid pet peeve of mine.
  • Seamless glass NEEDS to be mandated league wide. I just can not fathom watching games elsewhere at how bad some of these arenas stanchions are. They just create unnecessary bounces.
  • Get rid of the loser point altogether. Just the very idea of it is moronic and you can clearly tell when teams are purely playing it safe for the guaranteed point (us Wild fans are familiar with this).
  • No touch icing. Make it happen already. You've already limited players essentially touching each other on a race, so just eliminate the risk altogether.

firstroundbust 06-07-2010 03:42 PM

change it back so the conferences and divisions have names, not geographical locations.

Anyone else think that Brian Burke would make a great NHL commissioner?

GopherState 06-07-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shleeban (Post 26176745)
You know they could change it so that if you WIN in overtime you only get one point.....

How about THAT for a twist?:yo:

That would make things interesting.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeuceUNO (Post 26177024)
change it back so the conferences and divisions have names, not geographical locations.

Anyone else think that Brian Burke would make a great NHL commissioner?

He'd be more controversial than Uncle Gary.

saywut 06-07-2010 04:09 PM

Biggest problems for me are the trapezoid and loser point. Also would like intentional offside to be enforced with the icing rule -> no change and face-off in own zone. Then again the linesman are already scared enough to call an intentional offside.

thestonedkoala 06-07-2010 04:28 PM

No touch icing and goaltenders can't play the puck.

Locations are fine.

Surly Furious 06-07-2010 07:07 PM

I'd go for a bigger ice sheet. Reward skating ability. There just doesn't seem to be enough room out there to play sometimes.

GopherState 06-07-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookman (Post 26180058)
I'd go for a bigger ice sheet. Reward skating ability. There just doesn't seem to be enough room out there to play sometimes.

Would you propose the Olympic size or something bigger/smaller?

Surly Furious 06-07-2010 07:16 PM

Well, certainly bigger than the current NHL sheet. How much bigger is Olympic ice? Isn't that what Mariucci has? The sheet on the video of the Swede the Wild are looking at looked nice and big.

GopherState 06-07-2010 07:19 PM

NHL ice is 200x85 while Olympic (which is what Mariucci has) is 200x100. There are other arenas which for one reason or another have ice sheets between the two (two off the top of my head are Boston University's new arena and the Kohl Center in Madison), but ice sheets are usually either NHL or Olympic.

Generic User 06-07-2010 08:15 PM

I would like to see the shootout disappear. If that happens, I don't mind rewarding the losing team one point if they make it to overtime -- but I am willing to give that up if argued properly. Also, would probably be a bad idea, especially for teams on night 1 of a back-to-backer, but I don't think ties should be allowed either. If a game has to turn into more than an equivalent of 2 games (see Dallas vs San Jose in the Playoffs 2 years ago) then so be it. With no points for losers and continuous overtime, with the grueling schedule, I doubt we'd see teams playing it too safe.

Kari Takko 06-08-2010 02:37 AM

I would get rid of the instigator. If the league really wants to stop head shots, that'd be the quickest way to get rid of them. You give a head shot, you'll receive one.

Blackhawkswincup 06-08-2010 03:20 AM

I would contract the Canucks and give an expansion team to Houston

Why?

- The world would be a much better place if there were no Canuck fans
- Putting another team in the South would piss off our neighbors to the North

this providence 06-08-2010 09:20 AM

If we're discussing removing fans, I'd suggest we start at the majority of Leaf fans that peruse this forum. That, and perhaps we could maybe do something about Kaberle?

GopherState 06-08-2010 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup (Post 26186474)
I would contract the Canucks and give an expansion team to Houston

Why?

- The world would be a much better place if there were no Canuck fans
- Putting another team in the South would piss off our neighbors to the North

I always enjoyed the Edmonton to Houston rumors ten or so years back for the sole reason that they could have become the Houston Oilers (again).

BuddyMcCormick 06-08-2010 01:56 PM

1) Make winning games in regulation worth 3pts.
Winning in OT - 2pts
Losing in OT - 1pt

2) An actual crackdown on head shots.

3) Remove Gary Bettman.

TaLoN 06-08-2010 06:39 PM

I've said it before, I'll say it again. Scrap the point system and go with win/loss %.

BuddyMcCormick 06-08-2010 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaLoN (Post 26195051)
I've said it before, I'll say it again. Scrap the point system and go with win/loss %.

I think either of these point systems would work, your % idea or change in points.
Either way teams would actually be playing to win rather than playing not to lose.