HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Rumor: Rutherford: Whitney unlikely to sign with Canes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=784056)

Hottubber 06-07-2010 02:34 PM

Rutherford: Whitney unlikely to sign with Canes

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...likely-to-sign

Sounds like he wants to go to UFA.

Get on it Shero. 2 years - 5M......

WVP 06-07-2010 02:38 PM

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...likely-to-sign

66-29-33 06-07-2010 02:38 PM

KHL offers him 2 year deal @ 10M tax free.:sarcasm:

Captain Hook 06-07-2010 02:40 PM

Get 'er Done, Shero.

AquaticBirdman 06-07-2010 02:40 PM

Well, he did express his desire to come to the Pens prior to the trade deadline. You'd have to think that, as a UFA, we'd still have to be his top choice IF of course Shero is still interested. Signing Whitney will also mean that we wouldn't have to worry about Guerin being brought back for another year :D

Hottubber 06-07-2010 02:45 PM

maybe guerin and whitney can play on the same line and form the oldest line in hockey!

Captain Hook 06-07-2010 02:54 PM

I still think he's going to cost around 3 million/per and get at least 2 years. I'd give it to him, but some wouldn't since he's getting up there in age.

66-29-33 06-07-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Hook (Post 26176257)
I still think he's going to cost around 3 million/per and get at least 2 years. I'd give it to him, but some wouldn't since he's getting up there in age.

He also did just drop 20 points out of the blue, that will also come to their decisions aswell.

Killswitch7187 06-07-2010 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hottubber (Post 26176121)
maybe guerin and whitney can play on the same line and form the oldest line in hockey!

Sign Doug Weight too then.

Snooki Stackhouse 06-07-2010 03:04 PM

Whitney-Crosby-Guerin
Kozlov-Malkin-Nolan

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7...isreallife.jpg

eXile59 06-07-2010 03:23 PM

Rutherford is a good GM but he played his cards wrong on this one. Not only did his team not make the playoffs but now they will get nothing in return for a player who he knew wanted out.

Hottubber 06-07-2010 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eXile59 (Post 26176749)
Rutherford is a good GM but he played his cards wrong on this one. Not only did his team not make the playoffs but now they will get nothing in return for a player who he knew wanted out.

there isnt really anything he could have done. Whitney had a NTC.

Darth Vitale 06-07-2010 03:31 PM

Positive sign if nothing else.

OnMyOwn 06-07-2010 03:47 PM

trade for his rights?

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina 06-07-2010 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Taste (Post 26176438)
Whitney-Crosby-Guerin
Kozlov-Malkin-Nolan

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7...isreallife.jpg

Now I know why my ex wanted me to get a jacuzzi so much.

hctopcheds11 06-07-2010 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippo (Post 26176869)
Positive sign if nothing else.

If this is true, this could be good news.

Crosby and Whitney would be absolutley dynamite together. I'd LOVE to see:

Tangradi-Crosby-Whitney
Kunitz-Malkin-Talbot/Dupuis
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy
Rupp-Adams/Talbot-Dupuis/Adams

Much improved first line with a player who can think at a Crosby level and can both pass and score. This first line also allows our best prospect to grow with our best player.

Give Malkin a player in Kunitz who can open him up space and make all of the small plays to him. This is when Geno, IMO, has worked his best. Maybe get a deadline soft spot sniper or get someone on a cheap one year deal (Tanguay, maybe Kariya etc.). If worse comes to worse, try Whitney with Geno because we know Kunitz has worked with Crosby before.

Third line and fourth line basically the same.

In this scenario, The first and second lines are much improved IMO and this is all completed without having to trading our 1st round pick this year to get a long term fix. This way, when Whitney is done in say, two years, Tangradi is ready to contribute at an even higher level and you got our first rounder from this year waiting in the wings for Geno or Sid.

PensFanSince1989 06-07-2010 03:54 PM

Am I the only person not foaming at the mouth to get Ray Whitney? Haven't we learned a lesson yet?

hctopcheds11 06-07-2010 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnMyOwn (Post 26177101)
trade for his rights?

I wonder what Carolina would want for his rights...

hctopcheds11 06-07-2010 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PensFanSince1989 (Post 26177209)
Am I the only person not foaming at the mouth to get Ray Whitney? Haven't we learned a lesson yet?

I'd agree with you if it were almost any other older player, even Kariya. But Whitney is showing zero signs of slowing down and thinks the game at a higher level then most players in the NHL. He is a guy who is and seems like always will be, a very smooth skater.

wej20 06-07-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 66-29-33 (Post 26176348)
He also did just drop 20 points out of the blue, that will also come to their decisions aswell.

I think that was more to do with the weakness of the Canes themselves rather than Ray Whitney.

Muscles4Malkin 06-07-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyg26 (Post 26177152)

Tangradi-Crosby-Whitney
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy

Much improved first line and this first line allows our best prospect to grow with our best player.

Give Malkin a player in Kunitz who can open him up space and make all of the small plays to him. This is when Geno, IMO, has worked his best. Maybe get a deadline soft spot sniper or get someone on a cheap one year deal (Tanguay, maybe Kariya etc.).

In this scenario, The first and second lines are improved IMO.

I've been thinking about Svatos. Maybe something around $1.4 million. Change of scenery could make him a +30 goal scorer again and playing with Malkin should surely help that.

Whitney - Crosby - Tangradi
Kunitz - Malkin - Svatos

hctopcheds11 06-07-2010 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 26177260)
I think that was more to do with the weakness of the Canes themselves rather than Ray Whitney.

Agreed. The Canes were dreadful for most of last year. Everytime I saw Whitney play last season he was impressive and still as good as he was the year before.

wej20 06-07-2010 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyg26 (Post 26177223)
I wonder what Carolina would want for his rights...

Poni's rights :naughty:.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andyg26 (Post 26177152)

Tangradi-Crosby-Whitney
Cooke-Staal-Kennedy

Much improved first line with a player who can think at a Crosby level and can both pass and score. This first line also allows our best prospect to grow with our best player.

Give Malkin a player in Kunitz who can open him up space and make all of the small plays to him. This is when Geno, IMO, has worked his best. Maybe get a deadline soft spot sniper or get someone on a cheap one year deal (Tanguay, maybe Kariya etc.). If worse comes to worse, try Whitney with Geno because we know Kunitz has worked with Crosby before.

In this scenario, The first and second lines are much improved IMO and this is all completed without having to trading our 1st round pick this year to get a long term fix. This way, when Whitney is done in say, two years, Tangradi is ready to contribute at an even higher level and you got our first rounder from this year waiting in the wings for Geno or Sid.

Whitney plays LW exclusively.

hctopcheds11 06-07-2010 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muscles4Malkin (Post 26177277)
I've been thinking about Svatos. Maybe something around $1.4 million. Change of scenery could make him a +30 goal scorer again and playing with Malkin should surely help that.

Whitney - Crosby - Tangradi
Kunitz - Malkin - Svatos

Not a terrible idea either. With Whitney, Kunitz and if Tangradi is ready, we will have a of options in the top 6. Last year we had at least 2-3 liabilities/players who don't belong in the top 4 winger spots, out of our top 4 wingers. This upcoming year, if we play our cards right, we might have only 1 or so.

hctopcheds11 06-07-2010 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wej20 (Post 26177294)
Poni's rights :naughty:.

Whitney plays LW exclusively.

Gotcha. So put him on the left with Crosby then. I believe Tangradi is okay playing both sides? I know last year in the preseason it was either him or Kunitz who went over to the other side when Sid, Kunitz and Tangradi had that great game.