HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Lets get your opinion on the play? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=784111)

Randall Ritchey 06-07-2010 05:53 PM

Lets get your opinion on the play?

Just for starters this guy is like 6'2, I'm about 5'11 and my goalie is about 6'3.

I miss my defensive assignment and the guy gets a break.
I go hauling back, I am faster so I catch up, just not enough.
Ten feet out from the net, I dive, get puck FIRST, then he trips over me.
He precedes to get up, throw off his helmet and starts swinging (while still on the ground). He catches the inside of my leg, but I start backing up so he misses my face. My goalie steps in between us.

I get called for tripping, and he doesn't get anything on the play.
I argued the call but to no avail. Who was right? Me or the ref?

His argument was, I tripped him, getting puck or not, it doesn't matter, and he "didn't get to me" so he didn't get anything.

Who's right?

IniNew 06-07-2010 06:07 PM

He got one hit on the inside of your leg? Grow up a bit please. He overreacted, but you don't need to argue with the refs over giving him nothing.

DevilsFan38 06-07-2010 06:56 PM

You definitely shouldn't have been called for tripping. But depending on how close it was it can be difficult for the ref to tell (and men's league refs aren't always the greatest).

Randall Ritchey 06-07-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IniNew (Post 26179162)
He got one hit on the inside of your leg? Grow up a bit please. He overreacted, but you don't need to argue with the refs over giving him nothing.

It's just the fact is if my goalie didn't do anything, I likely would have gotten decked.
Rules are if you try and instigate a fight or participate in a fight, you get kicked out.
He tried to instigate and didn't get anything.

The main area was the tripping. Should I have gotten called?

pistolpete31 06-07-2010 07:34 PM

Great play by you and no you should not have gotten a penalty but maybe the ref didn't see it properly so I would say you could have a few words with him but its not going to do anything. My dad is a referee and he says sometimes he can't see things so if its mentioned by a coach or player it helps but if you argue a lot he will never change the call. The guy who slashed you sounds like a dirty player and he should have gotten a for sure penalty and a game misconduct.

hoonking 06-07-2010 07:36 PM

If the main area was the tripping then you could have left that other stuff out. Nothing is going to be sorted out by telling us about it and its not like you are going to be able to show the league all these replies and they are going to kick him out of the next game. However, if you trip a player AFTER you get the puck you shouldn't get called. You are most likely playing beer league though so don't expect top-notch reffing.

Pog Form 06-07-2010 08:26 PM

Shouldn't have been a penalty, but the ref probably had a bad angle and didn't see that you got the puck first. If you went about it the right way, you might've been able to get him to call a roughing or unsportsmanlike penalty on the other guy, but arguing won't make the ref change his original call.

rinkrat22 06-07-2010 10:20 PM

here is what should have been called, or how I would have ruled on the play:
If you got the puck on the dive and stayed in what was your established skating lane no penality, if you dove got the poke check and slid into the attacking players established skating lane, go to the box and feel shame. it would be the same as if you lay out to block a shot and the guy tries to get to the net through you, you have established position he tried to skate through you... no trip.

Hockeyfan68 06-09-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 (Post 26179911)
You definitely shouldn't have been called for tripping. But depending on how close it was it can be difficult for the ref to tell (and men's league refs aren't always the greatest).

Yep I got called once for watching a guy fall down in front of me :laugh:

cptjeff 06-09-2010 03:31 PM

I've seen someone get called for getting checked in a no check league.

adaminnj 06-09-2010 04:02 PM

We are talking mens rec. league right?

Your play was over the top you get a call for being over motivated and making a play that risked someone ability to go to work in the AM. you are out for the test of the season. go get your golf clubs.

The other guy also way to aggressive for a mens league game and out for the rest of the season for being the aggressor.

The reason Reffs are not making calls on the ice is because they are afraid of the players smacking them around.

Put a few cops at the rink in uniform and start finning players for dangerous plays, and or taking a swing.

That might take a few butt-heads out of Rec. leagues. The funny thing is that Woman leagues are way worse than mens league.

Winning a 10 dollar trophy is not worth 2 weeks pay or worse, bottom line.

sbkbghockey 06-09-2010 09:16 PM

Well mostly its been said tech by the rulebook if things happened the way you said, its not a tripping- but in men's league if its remotely close, and if in some league the guy goes down b/c of your play- its getting called. A side note: that's one of those "good" penalties you prevented a breakaway where you got called or not.

The other guy should have had a roughing or unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. The refs probably didnít call it because it sounds like your goalie stepped in before any real contact was made.

Arguing, some guys have expressed their feelings of arguing at the refs already I tend to agree but if its outright B**ching/yelling/2-year old temper tantrum then yeah lay off the refs. If its a civil discussion on why the call was made/asking what was the refs view and how he saw things for clarification then thatís okay.

The one thing to watch out with any discussion with the refs like that is that some refs don't take anything and could extend your time in the box. Also some men's league have a rule where only the designated captain or assistant captain can have those discussions.

Ference the Finger 06-09-2010 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randall Ritchey (Post 26180344)
It's just the fact is if my goalie didn't do anything, I likely would have gotten decked.
Rules are if you try and instigate a fight or participate in a fight, you get kicked out.
He tried to instigate and didn't get anything.

The main area was the tripping. Should I have gotten called?

Short answer: Yes.

You're probably thinking of the note in the tripping rule that says that "If, in the opinion of the Referee, a player is unquestionably hook-checking the puck and obtains possession of it, thereby tripping the puck carrier, no penalty shall be imposed."

However, the tripping rule also has a section that states "Any player who deliberately leaves his feet and contacts an opponent with any part of his body thereby causing the opponent to trip or fall shall be assessed a minor penalty." Since you dove and tripped your opponent, it's clearly a tripping penalty.

As to your belligerent opponent - sounds like he needs to take a chill pill.

Ference the Finger 06-09-2010 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hoonking (Post 26180434)
... However, if you trip a player AFTER you get the puck you shouldn't get called. You are most likely playing beer league though so don't expect top-notch reffing.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pog Form (Post 26181172)
Shouldn't have been a penalty, but the ref probably had a bad angle and didn't see that you got the puck first.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbkbghockey (Post 26212860)
Well mostly its been said tech by the rulebook if things happened the way you said, its not a tripping-

See above, it actually is a tripping penalty, the way he described it.

SERE 24 06-09-2010 10:35 PM

The simple answer is, yeah, by NHL rules, if you truly got puck first, it wouldn't be a penalty, but do you seriously expect perfection from a house league ref? Even the NHL refs don't get it right all the time - in fact they get it wrong A LOT - so you got a penalty. I don't even know what the big deal is that you needed others opinions; it sucks when the ref makes the wrong call. It happens. Imagine how frustrated NHLers are when it happens. Or how frustrated I am when it happens in an NCAA game to me/my team. That's sports. Happens in all of them. Bad pass interference call. Bad foul call in basketball. Called out when safe.