HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   More on......Sidney Crosby (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=78419)

Jacques Strappe 05-17-2004 09:00 AM

More on......Sidney Crosby

I'm sure many are sick and tired about all the threads about this kid.
But I just wanted to share a bit of information with you.
He was on the local morning radio show (Q104) this morning in Halifax.
One of the DJ's - the typical morning show idiot type (you know, funny but annoying) was asking him that if he was going to be around this summer if Sidney would mind cutting his lawn for a few beers. Sidney politely laughed at his lame attempt at humour. Kid's got good media sense for sure!

Anyway, the sporty DJ asked Sid, "Not that you get a say, but if you had your choice, which team would you like to be drafted by?"

To which Sidney replied, "Well, Montreal's always been my favourite team." :yo: :banana:

I think all Habs fans know that Sidney is one of us.
But this got me to thinking, "How often do you hear of a superstar (potentially in this case) wanting to play in Montreal?" NEVER!
I realize we've got some good players, but even the best can't be described as superstars IMHO.

I'm sure this has been asked before, and I'm not looking for potential trades with explicit detail, but 2 simple questions:

1) Do you think Gainey would do whatever it would take to get Crosby?
2) If so, do you think it would be worth it?

TheZodiac 05-17-2004 09:20 AM

Montreal needs some size upfront, they are too small, I'm not sure Sidney will help the Habs. I'm not knocking Sidneys ability but he's just not a good fit for the Habs.

#1 Habitant 05-17-2004 09:24 AM

IMO, I think Gainey should do whatever it takes to get him as he is a kid that you can build a team around. Having watched him play at the Canada Games in Campbellton, playing for Team Nova Scotia, he made everyone better. I watched him play for Rimouski and you could see how far advanced he was from the others on the ice.
Will Gainey do whatever it takes is another story. I hope he makes a very substantial offer to whomever holds the first pick. Crosby bleeds the red, white and blue, as you pointed out. His father bleeds the red, white and blue. I hope that the Habs don't blow it again as they did with Anthony Stewart. Personally, I think they missed the mark when they didn't trade up to get him as he and his father also bled red, white, and blue.
Crosby is the real thing! We can only wish...

HabsoluteFate 05-17-2004 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheZodiac
Montreal needs some size upfront, they are too small, I'm not sure Sidney will help the Habs. I'm not knocking Sidneys ability but he's just not a good fit for the Habs.

It doesnt matter whether size is an issue or not if you have a chance to get a kid like Crosby you just do. From what i have seen he has the right attitude (something Daigle never had, plus Crosby is eons ahead of someone like Daigle). Don't fool yourself all 30 teams in the league probably want him and thats why Montreal wont unless they got 1st overall (wont happen) or if Sidney holds out (from what i have seen of his attitude that wont happen either). whoever gets 1st overall that year will want the moon for him and thats even if there was any consideration of trading the 1st overall pick...which i highly doubt.

Having said that I'd love to see him in a Habs uniform...just like i would have loved to see Mario Lemieux in a Canadiens uniform as well

TheZodiac 05-17-2004 10:01 AM

Obviosuly you have a chance to get him you take him, maybe move Koivu for a big forward, but I can't see Pittsburgh/Washington trading that first pick.

Rahan 05-17-2004 10:02 AM

Wow, that's ..awesome.
But hum, am I the only one thinking that in no way we can get the first overall? First we don't have the trade bait (or I don't know what we could give?), and second, teams those days don't want to trade those future superstars.. damnit :(

Blind Gardien 05-17-2004 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques Strappe

I think that ship might have passed us by already. The kinds of mega 5-for-1 deals that the team which ultimately holds the 2005 #1 pick are going to demand are clearly not an option. Instead, the only option is a roll of the dice. I don't think too many people predicted over a year ago that Washington would have the 2004 #1 pick. They were thought to be sort of where we ended up, shooting for one of the last playoff spots. So, if you want the 2005 #1, now is the time. You won't get it from Pittsburgh or any other obvious long-term bottom feeder. Instead, you'd need to guess right on a team that *thinks* they need one or two key players to make the playoffs, and can't imagine they would ever be in the running for the #1 overall pick. Then you actually need a season next year. Then you need some luck on the lottery. (I don't have a clue what teams could fall into this category yet).

Would it be worth it? Well, again, if you're just gambling on picking a bottom-5 team with lottery potential, it's a BIG risk. They might not bottom out, the odds on the lottery aren't great, etc. Actually, I think our very own Habs are just about as likely to self-destruct as anybody... especially if we deal a couple players for somebody else's first-rounder! So that might double our odds. :)

Basically... naw. You just don't do these kind of trades with that specific idea in mind. The entry draft is set up to feed the miserable teams with the big superstars, and we just have to accept that Crosby is in all likelihood going somewhere else. His value is sky-high now and by his draft day, so there's just no realistic hope. A nice dream, but it probably can't happen. I think Gainey is quite content with the path the organisation is on, and he doesn't seem to be at all likely to jump for any highly risky moves like making blockbuster trades for a future prospect.

tnq 05-17-2004 10:37 AM

hi hi
we need that kid even we have to destroy 1/2 of our team, why won't we trade Zednick, Koivu, Brisebois, Souray, ... for the trade
we will finish last one and we will have chance to pick Crosby :lol

ChemiseBleuHonnete 05-17-2004 10:38 AM

I would make a mega offer for him.... I've never seen a player that skilled. I even think that it could help the team being even more popular in both Montreal and arround the world.

SuperUnknown 05-17-2004 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c
I would make a mega offer for him.... I've never seen a player that skilled. I even think that it could help the team being even more popular in both Montreal and arround the world.

Yes!!! Pay whatever the cost is. :handclap:

Johnny Wishbone 05-17-2004 11:00 AM

I also heard that interview.
The DJ asked if he would mow his lawn for him to make a few extra bucks or something for the summer. Sidney relied saying that he will be doing the neighbours lawn for a few bucks, just like every summer.
I thought that was cool......let's hope he doesn't lose his roots!! The kids sounds like a great guy.

Dutchy 05-17-2004 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ax˛+bx+c

Same here... Even if this postpones our Cup conquest for a few years, I definetly want to see Crosby in a Habs jersey.

Des Louise 05-17-2004 11:30 AM

I wish he had said he liked the leafs instead. Now it will be even more painful to see him burn the league with another team.

CoupeStanley 05-17-2004 11:51 AM

I'm sure Gainey will make a strong pitch for him..

HabsoluteFate 05-17-2004 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dutchy
Same here... Even if this postpones our Cup conquest for a few years, I definetly want to see Crosby in a Habs jersey.

Lets see....Crosby or stanley cup...i cant believe some of you guys....Although I'd *LOVE* for Crosby to wear a Habs Jersey theres no question about it...i'd pick the Stanley Cup over him any day.

RaTcine 05-17-2004 12:02 PM

I don't think Gainey is that type of GM but after hearing this from Crosby's mouth, he might take a look.

Munchausen 05-17-2004 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacques Strappe

1) Whatever? no. But he might be tempted to at least try to make an offer. Koivu will be in his 30s by that time and neither Ribeiro, Plekanec or Higgins will likely become dominant #1 centers IMO.

2) Depends on the offer. I've been thinking about the possibility to get Crosby for a long time now and IMO, the only way we could successfully do it is if Pittsburgh wins the lottery again next year. That's the only bad team IMO that would agree to trade Crosby.

This is mainly due to the fact in a couple of months they will draft their franchise center in Evgeni Malkin.

Also, they should have a hard time paying all the bonuses to Malkin and Fleury + the Russian transfer fees, I don't think they'd be able to pay Crosby's contract who could go very high with all the bonus closes.

Lastly, I think having their franchise goalie and their franchise center, they might be inclined to trade the pick for quality players that will make them an overnight playoff contender, which would boost the assistance and revenues.

Or if they plan on selling the team, it would have more value IMO if it was already good at the time of the sale. We could probably offer them a #2 center (Ribeiro), a proven scorer (Zednik), a top Dman (Markov), a top prospect (Perezhogin) and one or two 1st round picks. Those would fill the holes that IMO the Pens will have in one year. It's one heavy price that's for sure.

The Pens would look good after such a trade...

Zednik - Malkin - Morozov
Malone - Ribeiro - Perezhogin
Kolstov - Kraft - Fata
Surovy - Abid - Kostopoulos

Orpik - Tarnstrom
Markov - Withney
Welch - Strbak

Fleury
Caron

The Habs after the trade...

Kastsitsyn - Koivu - Kovalev
Higgins - Crosby - Ryder
Bulis - Plekanec - Ward
Begin - Dowd - Laperriere?

Souray - Komisarek
UFA - Brisebois
Hainsey - Rivet

Theodore
Garon

Madevilz 05-17-2004 12:16 PM

Lemieux wanted to play in montreal too :(

Munchausen 05-17-2004 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheZodiac

They don't need size, they need strength. Sidney Crosby should get around 6' 200lbs but he's already one strong player. Everyone that saw him play knows about his amazing leg strength. He's almost impossible to knock off the puck, a bit like Forsberg.

Munchausen 05-17-2004 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien
we just have to accept that Crosby is in all likelihood going somewhere else. His value is sky-high now and by his draft day, so there's just no realistic hope. A nice dream, but it probably can't happen.

Even with what I wrote above, I still agree with this. Even if the Pens win the lottery, our chances to successfully acquire Crosby are 1 in 1000.

RaTcine 05-17-2004 12:32 PM

All I have to say is...
we should stop dreamin about Crosby right now...

our only chance is that he do the Lindros scene... I DONT WANNA PLAY THERE, TRADE ME IN MONTREAL OR I'LL CRY.

Malakhov 05-17-2004 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
Or if they plan on selling the team, it would have more value IMO if it was already good at the time of the sale. We could probably offer them a #2 center (Ribeiro), a proven scorer (Zednik), a top Dman (Markov), a top prospect (Perezhogin) and one or two 1st round picks. Those would fill the holes that IMO the Pens will have in one year. It's one heavy price that's for sure.

I'd do this.

Brett38 05-17-2004 12:48 PM

Crosby will not be coming to Montreal. I guess its okay to dream. No team will trade their # 1 pick next year. Especially after Gretzky's endoresmentv some time ago.

Not even giving up the whole farm will get him.

The only way any team will trade Crosby to Montreal, is if Gainey goes into a meeting with the GM with the # 1 pick and gives him the Gainey look. The GM gets scared and pees in his pants and does a trade with him. Gainey comes out on top.

Gainey has to be one of the meanest looking GM's out there. Does he ever smile?

I remember when he won the MVP of the playoffs in '79 when his team put him up on their shoulders. I saw smile through all those missing front teeth. That was a picture!!

This guy hardly smiled or lifted his stick when he scored. He just went out there and done his job.

Go Gainey Go!!!!!!!!!!!

SuperUnknown 05-17-2004 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen

What do they say, great minds think alike? LOL... I was going to post saying I hope Montreal would be willing to trade almost everything for Crosby, something like Ribeiro, Zednik, Markov, a prospect + two 1st round picks. I'd even be willing to pack Komisarek or Higgins to get Crosby, my two favorite players for Montreal.

Bill McNeal 05-17-2004 12:53 PM

Pray for all of next season to be cancelled and an equally-weighted lottery, then bribe or blackmail Bettman! It's that easy :banana: