HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Coaching help (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=784572)

BrokeTee 06-09-2010 01:31 AM

Coaching help
Hello, I am brand new to coaching and will be helping out on the bench this Spring. I was just wondering on some things I should learn or know about in order to be assistant coach.

The hockey is a high level for bantam kids.

Any tips are appreciated

Josh Deitell 06-09-2010 05:25 AM

Don't let the kids coach whatsoever. I coached kids a few years back, and had plenty that would complain about playing time and enlist their parents to try and get me to put them out there more often. If you give in, you'll lose everyone's respect and you'll regret it for the rest of the season. That was probably the biggest problem I had, dealing with whiny kids and parents, but at the end of the day, I shifted the players who worked the hardest.

meanolthing 06-09-2010 06:30 PM

Have fun with it. Hockey should never be a chore.

Kids feed off of body language, so don't slouch or grumble if you end up down a goal or two. Act as if. Since you're assistant coaching, make sure you play the role of assistant coach, avoid a "too many chiefs, not enough Indians" scenario with the players or coaching staff. Give quality input when it's due, joke around when the situation permits. Pay attention too. If you're opening and closing the door for shift-changes, nothing kills the rhythm worse than not seeing a kid standing next to the door waiting to be let out or back in. Encourage players, gently and quietly point out a screw-up (like a defensemen not keeping aware of their surroundings) to the player at fault when the moment permits. Never encourage wreckless or thuggish behavior, regardless of talent level. If the star player is a cheap-shot or a poor sport, sit him if you have the authority, because acting as though it's not happening will make everything worse. If he acts out again, sit him longer. Make sure water bottles are filled before games, and cleaned afterwards. Keep a 'coaches box' well-stocked with ice packs, tape, laces, mouthguards, helmet parts, etc.

Will you be running or assisting with practices at all? Make sure you always have something to do, ideally with variety. Skate drills, shooting drills, game situation drills, something fun and mindless like shoot the duck or the gauntlet, etc. Make sure you interchange them. Down time is wasted time. Give water breaks at appropriate times.

Are you coaching boys or girls? I've only coached girls teams, so your results may vary, but I suspect the core principles are the same.

Be a good sport. Ignore the parents. Don't jaw at the ref. Have fun. It's just a game after all :).

BrokeTee 06-09-2010 08:37 PM

Thanks for all the help, and I am just coaching a tournament team which will be their first time playing together with no practice. It is boys hockey.