HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Kings News: Mark Hardy Resigns (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=785945)

LombardiTool 06-12-2010 11:54 AM

Mark Hardy Resigns

Per Hellene Eliot. I hope he is able to work out his issues!

http://twitter.com/helenenothelen

DeeMeck 06-12-2010 12:06 PM

Unfortunately, not surprising.

I really thought he was on the shortlist to be our next head coach.

Cook24 06-12-2010 12:08 PM

Expected. Wonder who's replacing him.

Ziggy Stardust 06-12-2010 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cook24 (Post 26257843)
Expected. Wonder who's replacing him.

Sean O'Donnell, step right up.

Telos 06-12-2010 12:19 PM

God damn it... I wish the best for Hardy and his family moving forward and hope his career in hockey is not over... Hopefully we hire someone talented, and that this does not have a significant impact on our defensive game.

JMFJ 3 06-12-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 26257911)

This. It's the most logical choice.

Telos 06-12-2010 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 26257911)

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 (Post 26257964)
This. It's the most logical choice.

Or the dumbest...

Ziggy Stardust 06-12-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telos (Post 26257972)
Or the dumbest...

Why exactly would it be? Take a look at all the former players currently serving as assistant coaches. Don't think a veteran player who is well respected and has been involved in hockey for 30+ years would know how to coach?

And FYI... here's the list of assistants in the NHL:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26102

Lot of names that were still playing not too long ago, and a few former Kings on there as well.

Ziggy Stardust 06-12-2010 12:35 PM

More details, http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/spor...kings-nhl.html
Quote:

In a statement, the Kings said Hardy had resigned on Friday and they would have no further comment on the matter. The statement said a search for a new assistant coach would begin immediately.

KINGS17 06-12-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 26258050)
Why exactly would it be? Take a look at all the former players currently serving as assistant coaches. Don't think a veteran player who is well respected and has been involved in hockey for 30+ years would know how to coach?

Lot of names that were still playing not too long ago, and a few former Kings on there as well.

I wouldn't have a problem with it, but are there better candidates inside or outside the organization that have more experience and have paid their coaching dues that might be better?

Paying dues is a big deal with Lombardi.

RAZZIE King 06-12-2010 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telos (Post 26257972)
Or the dumbest...

Uh...the dumbest would be Randy Jones as defense coach... Only thing is that we still need a PP coach...

Ziggy Stardust 06-12-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAZZIE King (Post 26258254)
Uh...the dumbest would be Randy Jones as defense coach... Only thing is that we still need a PP coach...

I think the players proved in the playoffs that they can get it done on the PP if they keep things simple, and not have Jarret Stoll on the point to continuously pass to.

Wasn't there a rumor/suggestion of Rick Tocchet's name being brought up? He has connections to the team and fits the Lombardi/Hextall model, tough, hard nosed, former Flyer. Maybe he can inject some of that into the Kings.

Another name to consider, former NHL defenseman and Memorial Cup coaching champ, Bob Boughner. Although with him being from Windsor and part-owner of the Spitfires makes it tough for me to imagine him leaving his current post.

JDM 06-12-2010 12:55 PM

Bummer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 26258050)

Its not that I think OD would be a bad choice as an assistant coach, but I worry about the adjustment between him and the rest of the players. Maybe if it was a few years removed, but has anyone made that jump, on the same team, immediately?

I know everyone respects OD in a big way, but I wonder if it isn't better to bring in someone our players see only as a coach, even if that coach is a former player.

DeeMeck 06-12-2010 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust (Post 26258349)
I think the players proved in the playoffs that they can get it done on the PP if they keep things simple, and not have Jarret Stoll on the point to continuously pass to.

Wasn't there a rumor/suggestion of Rick Tocchet's name being brought up? He has connections to the team and fits the Lombardi/Hextall model, tough, hard nosed, former Flyer. Maybe he can inject some of that into the Kings.

Another name to consider, former NHL defenseman and Memorial Cup coaching champ, Bob Boughner. Although with him being from Windsor and part-owner of the Spitfires makes it tough for me to imagine him leaving his current post.

I think Boughner wants to be a head coach in the NHL.

I think the fast-track to an NHL job is to coach in the AHL, rather than be an NHL assistant.

Especially since we are starting to see a changing of the guard at the NHL ranks.

AKAY47 06-12-2010 01:04 PM

Ah ****, he was definitely the top coach on that bench, imo. Tocchet anyone? I love Boughner, but I don't think he's ready to leave Windsor yet

Reaper45 06-12-2010 01:10 PM

A former King, Shark or Flyer. Maybe O'D if he decides to retire. What's Ricci up to nowadays? McCauley could be a decent coach and is still in the organization. Tocchet is free.

kingsholygrail 06-12-2010 01:10 PM

Not surprising. I expected a little sooner even.

Sydor25 06-12-2010 01:29 PM

I heard that Rob Blake just retired....:sarcasm:

Josh Deitell 06-12-2010 01:29 PM

Better now than mid-season. Best of luck to Mark.

DIEHARD the King fan 06-12-2010 01:48 PM

My best wishes to Harpo and his family. I have to wonder (not much really) if he was given the choice of resigning or being canned. Not surprising overall. I hope things turn out for the best for him. He is a class act to my knowledge, a very good coach and fun to be around on the ice. Good luck, Mark, in your future endeavors.

re Tocchet and Ricci: You dont generally hire a forward to be your defensive coach

kingsholygrail 06-12-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydor25 (Post 26258777)
I heard that Rob Blake just retired....:sarcasm:

http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/v...-l-jackson.gif

Ziggy Stardust 06-12-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DIEHARD the King fan (Post 26258997)
My best wishes to Harpo and his family. I have to wonder (not much really) if he was given the choice of resigning or being canned. Not surprising overall. I hope things turn out for the best for him. He is a class act to my knowledge, a very good coach and fun to be around on the ice. Good luck, Mark, in your future endeavors.

re Tocchet and Ricci: You dont generally hire a forward to be your defensive coach

It takes a smart player and tactician to coach, take Kirk Muller for instance who apparently made some defensive adjustments that helped the Habs shut Ovechkin down, http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/stan...canadiens.html
Quote:

"We came off a series where we really took [Capitals star forward Alex] Ovechkin away the whole power play," said Muller. "We played man on man with him and forced the other four guys to beat us four-on-three. We were in sync and then we faced a whole different look [against Pittsburgh].

"I think it was a lesson for the guys that if you want to beat Pittsburgh or Washington, we've got to be a better-detailed team than they are."

Not only has Muller been forced to make in-game adjustments in the playoffs, he has little time to sell his message to the players. Proving to them his decision is the right one and being emotionally involved in the game has brought respect in return.

Following the Washington series, Canadiens forward Mike Cammalleri told reporters that Muller "did a hell of a job adapting and making adjustments and the guys listened."

Muller believes playing a variety of offensive and defensive roles in 1,349 games with six NHL teams allowed him to learn and understand the mindset of players on the ice.

"I think I did pretty much every role as a forward," said Muller, a natural centre. "First line, second line, checking centre. My last year in Dallas [in 2002-03] I played some fourth line, on the wing and killed penalties."

RAZZIE King 06-12-2010 02:33 PM

Hammond also mentioned that Ranford and Kompon aren't signed either...at least for now...

Kurrilino 06-12-2010 03:26 PM

great news..................

hopefully they bring in a smart guy... not necessarily a defender.
We need anyone who team 'em smart short handed play instead just staying around and hoping for divine intervention

AKAY47 06-12-2010 03:37 PM

I think, at least I hope they re-sign Billy Ranford, I can care less about Kompon. Tocchet and O'Donnell as assistants, Ranford re-upped as goalie coach! Unfortunately I know Terry Murray won't be fired, so I'll have to post-pone that wish