HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Confirmed with Link: Canucks re-sign D Aaron Rome to 2-year deal ($750k per) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=786092)

Wetcoaster 06-13-2010 12:01 AM

Canucks re-sign D Aaron Rome to 2-year deal ($750k per)

Because he is 2 games shy of 80 NHL games, Rome is a Group 6 UFA as of July 1, but he would like to re-sign with the Canucks.
Quote:

Rome was the team's seventh or eighth D-man most of the first half of the season but after Willie Mitchell went down with what became a long-term concussion, he played regularly and showed he's capable of being a top-six NHL blueliner.

Rome's agent, Vancouver-based Kevin Epp, said he's already had discussions with the Canucks about a new deal and will have more before his client becomes a UFA on July 1. Epp said that signing a new contract could happen before that date if the deal is right.

“We've had conversations and I think they see him as (a top-six NHL defenceman),” said Epp. “We'll talk more. I think we're moving down the path. I think they liked him and liked how he played and he obviously liked playing here so they've just got to figure out where he fits. I think he knows it's a good team and a winning organization. If you're in that environment, you don't necessarily have to look outside.”

Last season, Rome made $525,000 and will likely be looking for a multi-year deal and a reasonable raise.
http://communities.canada.com/thepro...vancouver.aspx

The Canucks have a couple of weeks to work on a deal - as they say Rome was not signed in a day.

fedlibs 06-13-2010 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wetcoaster (Post 26264822)
Because he is 2 games shy of 80 NHL games, Rome is a Group 6 UFA as of July 1, but he would like to re-sign with the Canucks.

http://communities.canada.com/thepro...vancouver.aspx

The Canucks have a couple of weeks to work on a deal - as they say Rome was not signed in a day.

:laugh:

In Gillis We Trust 06-13-2010 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wetcoaster (Post 26264822)

You're funny when you're drunk. :yo:

Wetcoaster 06-13-2010 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuck Off (Post 26265184)
You're funny when you're drunk. :yo:

I am funny all the time.

MS 06-13-2010 12:58 AM

Good news.

Rome's injury was the most under-rated one we had in this year's playoffs.

Over the last 40 games of the season, he was playing a solid, reliable 18-19 minutes/game pretty much every single night. Had passed O'Brien on the depth chart.

If Rome is healthy in the playoffs, Alberts doesn't see a game and Bieksa's minutes are probably substantially lower.

shortshorts 06-13-2010 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wetcoaster (Post 26265210)
I am funny all the time.

You're drunk all the time.

Mr. Canucklehead 06-13-2010 01:05 AM

I'd love him back, ideally, at the same numbers Glass has reportedly been offered--2-years, 1-way, just under $600k per season as per HW. He may be able to get a bit more elsewhere, though.

MS 06-13-2010 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead (Post 26265377)
I'd love him back, ideally, at the same numbers Glass has reportedly been offered--2-years, 1-way, just under $600k per season as per HW. He may be able to get a bit more elsewhere, though.

It'll be interesting to see what he signs for.

Anything under $750k is probably unrealistic.

If it takes $1 million, I'd do it without thinking twice. IMO he's a better player than O'Brien and miles better than Alberts. To me, he's a perfect #6 defender on this club.

His getting hurt was a double-shame because he was 2 games away from being an RFA.

Wetcoaster 06-13-2010 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quysauce (Post 26265353)
You're drunk all the time.

Not true.

Lucbourdon 06-13-2010 01:16 AM

Under 750k i would sign him

mrmyheadhurts 06-13-2010 01:25 AM

I really liked Rome's game all season, hopefully they can work something out.

ProstheticConscience 06-13-2010 01:38 AM

Not bad as a 7th dman if he can be had cheap.

And sorry, but O'Brien >>>>> Rome. At least when he's on his game and not trying to fight through the aftereffects of jello shooter night at the Roxy or yapping in the media.

CCF23 06-13-2010 01:50 AM

Count me in as another that was impressed by how solid Rome was all year. I'd have no problems with signing him again.

Wetcoaster 06-13-2010 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience (Post 26265615)

And sorry, but O'Brien >>>>> Rome. At least when he's on his game and not trying to fight through the aftereffects of jello shooter night at the Roxy or yapping in the media.

In a salary cap world Rome>O'Brien - value for money. Gillis is a fan of Moneyball (or Moneypuck as the case may be).

Nuckles 06-13-2010 01:56 AM

If we can sign him for ~700k (maybe a 2 year deal), I would be pleased.

Reign Nateo 06-13-2010 02:01 AM

Personally I was more comfortable with Rome out there than I was with O'Brien. Sign him up. He'll sign cheap long-term.

MS 06-13-2010 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience (Post 26265615)

Why?

Rome is smarter than O'Brien, makes fewer mistakes than O'Brien, and is generally just a more reliable player. And doesn't take so many stupid penalties.

There's a reason why Rome passed O'Brien on the depth chart in the 2nd half of last season.

And then when you factor in the fact that he'll be way cheaper, it's an easy call.

Personally, I'm more comfortable with Rome in the top-6 going into next year than O'Brien. I don't know that O'Brien is a player you can win with.

Plus Rome seemed to get better and better as last season went along and he adjusted to playing in the league full-time. I see no reason why he can't be a regular for this team next season.

Slapshot_11 06-13-2010 02:11 AM

Sign him to a 2year deal around .700-1M and I would be pretty happy and Rome>>>>Bieksa

Wetcoaster 06-13-2010 02:14 AM

People often talk about SOB and his need to grow up and mature.

The guy will be 27 years old on 9 August and he is going into his 8th pro season. He is not a kid although he seems to act like one sometimes.

EpochLink 06-13-2010 02:31 AM

I'd keep Rome again, he played some big minutes this past season and I would be okay if he came back again. Besides, I can see him at his favorite Starbucks location on Robson again :laugh:

Tiranis 06-13-2010 02:44 AM

I would like to see Rome back, I wouldn't even mind him being our 6th D. He's a pretty steady defenceman, doesn't make too many mistakes which is probably the most important thing for a guy like him.

MTechnik 06-13-2010 07:06 AM

2 year 1.5 million would be amazing.

kanuck87 06-13-2010 10:27 AM

Maybe it's just me, but maybe I think Rome has a chance to be a top-4 guy. Smart defender, and great with the breakout pass. He hasn't even had a full season under his belt yet, but give him a couple more seasons of experience and maybe he'll turn into a fixture in our top 4. For now, he makes a fabulous bottom-pairing guy.

CCF23 06-13-2010 12:31 PM

Apparently he played 7 games for the Moose this year?

When did that happen?

He scored 6 goals in those 7 games.

Barney Gumble 06-13-2010 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCF23 (Post 26268915)
Apparently he played 7 games for the Moose this year?

When did that happen?

He scored 6 goals in those 7 games.

If you bothered to read the TSB thread you would've known (inside joke folks).:naughty: