HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   OT: Bumble bee epidemic in South Africa (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=786139)

shortcat1 06-13-2010 08:15 AM

Bumble bee epidemic in South Africa

I'm watching part of some of the games at the FIFA World Cup in South Africa and I swear that there's a bumble bee epidemic at the games.

All kidding aside, I researched it and found out (accurately, I hope) that the bumble bee buss is due to things called vuvuzelas - plastic horns. It's the traditional way for the South Africans to celebrate things. I seems that these horns were given to the fans as they entered the stadiums to cheer on their teams.

So, if you've got 80,000 people in the stadiums and 1/10 of them have those horns and are using them, you've got 8,000 of these horns being blown constantly. The result is you've got that steady buzz (or hum, if you will) all game long.

Wow... for those who aren't able to filter that out... it must drive them nuts. For those watching the TV, they've got to listen to it so as to even get the description and play by play commentary of the games.

Pascal 06-13-2010 08:30 AM

It must bee really annoying, yes.

http://fun.irq.dk/roflcopter.jpg

Goldthorpe 06-13-2010 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shortcat1 (Post 26267204)
I'm watching part of some of the games at the FIFA World Cup in South Africa and I swear that there's a bumble bee epidemic at the games.

All kidding aside, I researched it and found out (accurately, I hope) that the bumble bee buss is due to things called vuvuzelas - plastic horns. It's the traditional way for the South Africans to celebrate things. I seems that these horns were given to the fans as they entered the stadiums to cheer on their teams.

So, if you've got 80,000 people in the stadiums and 1/10 of them have those horns and are using them, you've got 8,000 of these horns being blown constantly. The result is you've got that steady buzz (or hum, if you will) all game long.

Wow... for those who aren't able to filter that out... it must drive them nuts. For those watching the TV, they've got to listen to it so as to even get the description and play by play commentary of the games.

I've yet to watch a game, but all my friends who are following the WC mentioned it.

Ice Poutine 06-13-2010 08:52 AM

Sounds a lot like those trumpets you can buy at the Quebec winter Carnival.

deandebean 06-13-2010 08:59 AM

It's fooking annoying. It's a tradition, but, really, it's nothing more than annoying. Sing, for crying out loud...

twosaints 06-13-2010 09:26 AM

Apparently a couple of teams have complained that it's extremely difficult to hear their teammates or at times the whistle on the pitch. I'd rather hear teams' traditional chants and songs, anyway.

maci4life 06-13-2010 10:08 AM

just watching my first game now, and i'm ready to watch in mute for the rest of the game.

Turboflex* 06-13-2010 11:20 AM

they give them out?? wtf???

so stupid

Habs 06-13-2010 11:36 AM

South African technology has really made progress.

Seb 06-13-2010 11:50 AM

Been watching all games so far (job duties) and at some point you don't even hear it anymore.

GO COTE D'IVOIRE!

Masao 06-13-2010 12:15 PM

bib 06-13-2010 02:27 PM

I guess I've been watching soccer for so long that I haven't realized

Hugo Sham 06-13-2010 03:08 PM

it's ****ing annoying. fifa tried to ban them but south African fans cried racism and cultural snobbishness and they were allowed to stay. i can't take them. it's less annoying with the sound TV on 'low'. lol
i remember those horns at spos games. only a few had them, and if they were blown for more than a couple of pitches, the little plastic ****ers were broken over your head
:nod:

MoonlightGraham 06-13-2010 03:10 PM

I like them. I think it's something different, and it's their tradition. Besides, they're not that lound on TV, you can still hear the announcers just fine...

twenty7 06-13-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhf1 (Post 26271638)
I like them. I think it's something different, and it's their tradition. Besides, they're not that lound on TV, you can still hear the announcers just fine...

Are you crazy you can hear those horns like miles away :loony:
The only crowd so far that I could hear using instruments and chanting were the
korean one. Its really annoying and you can't do anything about it which totally sucks...

sukimono 06-13-2010 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ice Poutine (Post 26267433)
Sounds a lot like those trumpets you can buy at the Quebec winter Carnival.

You're on hfboards dude most people here never heard of quebec city :shakehead

MoonlightGraham 06-13-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twenty7 (Post 26271723)
Are you crazy you can hear those horns like miles away :loony:
The only crowd so far that I could hear using instruments and chanting were the
korean one. Its really annoying and you can't do anything about it which totally sucks...

No what I meant was they're not loud to a point where you couldn't hear the announcers on TV and thus couldn't enjoy the game (when of course the announcers are in the stadium and not watching the games on TV in Montreal).

WeThreeKings 06-13-2010 03:38 PM

Imagine being at one of the games, you'd never sleep.

One Trick Pony 06-13-2010 03:45 PM

Quote:

World Cup 2010 organizing chief Danny Jordaan told the BBC the trademark vuvuzelas could be banned before this World Cup is over because players and TV viewers are complaining. Too noisy, apparently.
Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/W...#ixzz0qlgglxFi

I hope so

loudi94 06-13-2010 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eliash (Post 26272100)

I love that the players are complaining. The explosives, bottles, bricks and other projectiles that fans throw are apparently completely OK. :sarcasm:

Gary320 06-13-2010 04:23 PM

Hope it does atleast for the quaters, where fans are the loudest.

Jean-Guy Drouin* 06-13-2010 05:34 PM

I hope Vuvuzelas will help North Korea to beat Brazil.

maci4life 06-13-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lhf1 (Post 26271958)
No what I meant was they're not loud to a point where you couldn't hear the announcers on TV and thus couldn't enjoy the game (when of course the announcers are in the stadium and not watching the games on TV in Montreal).

the volume of them is not the problem, the sound of them is. It's like trying to watch a movie with a damned fly in your room that buzzes around and bumps into the windows, wall and lands on the tv. it may be tiny and not make much noise, but it's DAMNED ANNOYING, and you'll be up in no time pausing the movie and getting the swatter out. The difference is that you can't swat these retards in the stands everytime they toot that POS plastic horn.

Charlie Milles* 06-13-2010 05:41 PM

Problem?

Hackett 06-13-2010 05:47 PM

it is pretty damn annoying. Part of the fun with football is hearing the crowd doing their chants... that has been taken away by these horns.

I'm kinda used to it though because I watched the confederations cup last year and the same thing was happening