HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: [Trade Deadline] Islanders-Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=786356)

Bunter McVirtanen 06-13-2010 11:15 PM

[Trade Deadline] Islanders-Canucks

To VAN:
D Travis Hamonic

To NYI:
G Cory Schneider

Assuming that Schneider makes the big club as a back-up to Luongo next season and performs decently in the ~15 games that he plays, would this be a suitable deal?

According to the 2010 HockeyFutures draft preview for NYI, they lack solid goaltending prospects and Schneider could provide an immediate remedy for that.

Hamonic will give the Canucks a solid top-4 defensive defenseman (something that we sorely lack).

Can this be a building block for any sort of deal between the two teams?

jumptheshark 06-13-2010 11:17 PM

what happens to Ricky D

also--while I like Travis Hamonic--corey S's upside is greater

not sure why this is a deadline deal

mitchy22 06-13-2010 11:19 PM

This is going to end in tears.

Nuckles 06-13-2010 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoHo (Post 26277507)
To VAN:
D Travis Hamonic

To NYI:
G Cory Schneider

Assuming that Schneider makes the big club as a back-up to Luongo next season and performs decently in the ~15 games that he plays, would this be a suitable deal?

According to the 2010 HockeyFutures draft preview for NYI, they lack solid goaltending prospects and Schneider could provide an immediate remedy for that.

Hamonic will give the Canucks a solid top-4 defensive defenseman (something that we sorely lack).

Can this be a building block for any sort of deal between the two teams?

I don't know too much about him, but Hamonic isn't rated that high on this site. He has a potential rating of 7/10. He isn't that big either.

We would need more in return.
I would prefer trading Schneider for an NHL ready d-man, who has the potential to be a 2/3 d-man.

Horvat2Virtanen 06-13-2010 11:21 PM

Done, so done!

jumptheshark 06-13-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchy22 (Post 26277560)
This is going to end in tears.

or ugliness

WreckItRask 06-13-2010 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuckles37 (Post 26277563)
I don't know too much about him, but Hamonic isn't rated that high on this site. He has a potential rating of 7/10. He isn't that big either.

We would need more in return.
I would prefer trading Schneider for an NHL ready d-man, who has the potential to be a 2/3 d-man.

Not sure how you can type the bolded part when you admit you haven't watched much of him. I like Schneider, but anyone who watched Hamonic in the Memorial Cup will tell you that the Isles never make this trade.

mitchy22 06-13-2010 11:27 PM

The problem is...the Islanders are NOT doing this. They may not have a goalie prospect as close as or as highly touted as Schneider but they don't have another defensive prospect with Hamonic's traits either.

What the Islanders DO have is a decent amount of goalie prospects that will have a chance to be NHL goalies. So this isn't the kind of asset management they would be looking into.

The Islanders are not interested in Schnedier if the cost is Hamonic. It's that simple. They really don't even have room for another goalie prospect right now either so they'd probably have to move one in a trade (assuming they sign another NHL goalie for this coming season.)

I'd also say that Hamonic's stock is pretty friggin' high right now so you can ignore most ratings that didn't account his offense catching up to his defense.

:),
Mitch

mitchy22 06-13-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark (Post 26277590)
or ugliness

It depends...I know a lot of 'Nucks fans are high on Schneider (and rightfully so) but I'm sure there are more than a few who have caught a glimpse or two of Hamonic.

Mitch

Isles_Guy* 06-13-2010 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neely06 (Post 26277595)
Not sure how you can type the bolded part when you admit you haven't watched much of him. I like Schneider, but anyone who watched Hamonic in the Memorial Cup will tell you that the Isles never make this trade.

thanks Neely06, youre 1000% right, we also have 3 goalie prospects that I like better than Schneider in Koskinen, Nilsson and Poulin,

no interest Whatsoever in the Strongest possible terms To me Its said a lot when Schneider couldnt beat out Raycroft for that backup position

Horvat2Virtanen 06-13-2010 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isles_Guy (Post 26277634)
thanks Neely06, youre 1000% right, we also have 3 goalie prospects that I like better than Schneider in Koskinen, Nilsson and Poulin,

no interest Whatsoever in the Strongest possible terms

Well you may "like them better" but there in noway shape or form, better then Schneider.

Stanley Hudson 06-13-2010 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchy22 (Post 26277617)
The problem is...the Islanders are NOT doing this. They may not have a goalie prospect as close as or as highly touted as Schneider but they don't have another defensive prospect with Hamonic's traits either.

What the Islanders DO have is a decent amount of goalie prospects that will have a chance to be NHL goalies. So this isn't the kind of asset management they would be looking into.

The Islanders are not interested in Schnedier if the cost is Hamonic. It's that simple. They really don't even have room for another goalie prospect right now either so they'd probably have to move one in a trade (assuming they sign another NHL goalie for this coming season.)

I'd also say that Hamonic's stock is pretty friggin' high right now so you can ignore most ratings that didn't account his offensive catching up to his defense.

Mitch

My sentiments exactly.

Harmonic is part of a youth movement for our D that includes De Haan, Kohn, Hillen, Meyer and Klementev who all will be seeing/fighting for 2nd/3rd pairing minutes depending on what we have planned for with Gervais and Martinek.

as for goalies, we have Koiskonen(sp?) and this big swede we drafted in the 2nd round last year; one of whom will make the jump to the NHL and see some time behind Rollie. like Mitch mentioned, certainly not studs but def serviceable and developing.

mitchy22 06-13-2010 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isles_Guy (Post 26277634)
we also have 3 goalie prospects that I like better than Schneider in Koskinen, Nilsson and Poulin,

:) I personally wouldn't go that far. There's definitely promise above. That said, Schneider is closer to ready and shown more at higher levels. (Of course, that's not really a knock on our guys as they're further behind in development at this point for various reasons.)

But considering all of the Islanders prospects above still have a chance to be NHL goaltenders (one receiving heavy praise from Patrick Roy) I agree with your final sentiment.

There's no way this trade is happening from an Islanders' perspective.

Mitch

Bunter McVirtanen 06-13-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Hudson (Post 26277663)
My sentiments exactly.

Harmonic is part of a youth movement for our D that includes De Haan, Kohn, Hillen, Meyer and Klementev who all will be seeing/fighting for 2nd/3rd pairing minutes depending on what we have planned for with Gervais and Martinek.

as for goalies, we have Koiskonen(sp?) and this big swede we drafted in the 2nd round last year; one of whom will make the jump to the NHL and see some time behind Rollie. like Mitch mentioned, certainly not studs but def serviceable and developing.

Highly unlikely that a 2nd round G prospect from last year makes a jump to the NHL (from European ice).

Isles_Guy* 06-13-2010 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Canuck (Post 26277655)
Well you may "like them better" but there in noway shape or form, better then Schneider.

IMO Corey Schneider has bust written all over him, I think he is one of the most over rated players in all of hockey, When he couldn't beat out Raycroft it sent up an alarm, and then when Luongo was hurt and Schneider came up I saw a scared rabbit in the nets (admitedly based on only 2 games I watched, but I was not impressed).... I'm sorry, you may like him but I wouldnt go near him if you paid me, I remember one game against the Sharks, i think it was and he was near tears after they pulled him

Nuckles 06-13-2010 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Isles_Guy (Post 26277702)
IMO Corey Schneider has bust written all over him, I think he is one of the most over rated players in all of hockey, When he couldn't beat out Raycroft it sent up an alarm, and then when Luongo was hurt and Schneider came up I saw a scared rabbit in the nets (admitedly based on only 2 games I watched, but I was not impressed).... I'm sorry, you may like him but I wouldnt go near him if you paid me

Because scared rabbits and busts stop 45 of 47 shots. :facepalm:
I can't wait for your goalie prospects to start because they will be hall of famers... :sarcasm:

I also guess that Jonathan Bernier will be a bust because he didn't make the kings roster this season.

jumptheshark 06-13-2010 11:45 PM

I think the bigger issue is the fact that Ricky D is signed through 2085 or there abouts--I don't see the NYI adding another g who wants to start--unless Ricky D is quiting

mitchy22 06-13-2010 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoHo (Post 26277699)
Highly unlikely that a 2nd round G prospect from last year makes a jump to the NHL (from European ice).

Koskinen was ready to be in the AHL last season but suffered a major injury that pretty much destroyed most of his season.

So that's one year of development simply vanished but he's still a very legitimate prospect. Nilsson should be a bit further out.

Patrick Roy declared Kevin Poulin the best goalie in juniors.

There's nothing here to laugh at.
Mitch

Horvat2Virtanen 06-13-2010 11:48 PM

Quote:

IMO Corey Schneider has bust written all over him, I think he is one of the most over rated players in all of hockey, When he couldn't beat out Raycroft it sent up an alarm, and then when Luongo was hurt and Schneider came up I saw a scared rabbit in the nets (admitedly based on only 2 games I watched, but I was not impressed).... I'm sorry, you may like him but I wouldnt go near him if you paid me

I couldn't disagree more, in the one game Schneider started this year, he made 45 saves on 47 shoots, or something like that, it was the best goaltender performance of the regular season, for the Canucks, if that "didn't impress you" I don't know what will,

WreckItRask 06-13-2010 11:49 PM

Quote:

Although I did type above that this trade makes no sense for the Isles because I prefer Hamonic...I still think Schneider has a chance to be great. Don't read too much into the Raycroft stuff. Vancouver, and a lot of other teams, prefer to have their top goalie prospects playing full time in the AHL rather than riding pine in the NHL. By your logic, Tukka Rask was a bust last year, Jonathan Bernier was a bust this past year, and Jimmy Howard was a bust for the past few years.

Personal note...I coached against Schneider when he was in High School (as well as Quick in the same season), and he's legitimately good. While I don't do this trade for the Isles, it because Hamonic is looking like a stud, not because I don't believe in Schneider.

SLAPSHOT723 06-13-2010 11:50 PM

Hamonic stays.

And the Islanders actually have a few solid goaltender prospects. Koskinen, Poulin, and Nilsson all have the potential to be goalies in the NHL, especially Koskinen.

mitchy22 06-13-2010 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jumptheshark (Post 26277759)
I think the bigger issue is the fact that Ricky D is signed through 2085 or there abouts--I don't see the NYI adding another g who wants to start--unless Ricky D is quiting

NOBODY knows what DiPietro's future is. For all we know he may not be able to make it back and he may retire. Maybe he does make it back and plays at a high level. Maybe he makes it back and is never the same due to injury. None of this can be said with certainty.

The Islanders only have one NHL goalie signed for this coming season and that's it. It's not a stretch to imagine that they'll be signing another NHL goalie for this coming season. It's also not a stretch to think that they may end up with the three-headed monster again. But long-term...there's definitely a spot here as backup or possibly as starter if DiPietro is forced to retire.

An incoming prospect who is ready may end up seeing 25-30 games in the NHL. That's not terrible at all. Also, a lot more should be able to be said about DiPietro's future at some point this coming season...so the wait really shouldn't be that long.

Mitch

Isles_Guy* 06-13-2010 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuckles37 (Post 26277750)
Because scared rabbits and busts stop 45 of 47 shots. :facepalm:
I can't wait for your goalie prospects to start because they will be hall of famers... :sarcasm:

I also guess that Jonathan Bernier will be a bust because he didn't make the kings roster this season.

I didnt see that game obviously, but the two games I did see one last year and one 2 or maybe 3 years ago he looked terrible in both, one as I said they pulled him from the game and he looked like he was gonna cry when they showed him on the bench afterward, the color commentator made a big deal of it on versus

Isles_Guy* 06-13-2010 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King Canuck (Post 26277780)
I couldn't disagree more, in the one game Schneider started this year, he made 45 saves on 47 shoots, or something like that, it was the best goaltender performance of the regular season, for the Canucks, if that "didn't impress you" I don't know what will,

as I said I only saw him in 2 games, the one against the sharks and one a couple of years ago.... maybe he had some better games, but I was very unimpressed with his lack of composure

Bullet Tooth Tony 06-14-2010 12:02 AM

First off, why make a proposal for the trade deadline now? I mean, the season just ended! Lots can change between now and then... As highly regarded as he is right now, it wouldn't surprise me if Hamonic cracked the Isles next year, and then all bets are off for sure!

Schneider is a tough case. He has been underwhelming at the NHL level for the most part, in fact, I'd go so far as to say that he's looked like a deer in headlights at times. Dominating the 'A' is an accomplishment, but by no means an indicator of future NHL success. He should be Luongo's backup next year, but I'm not sure he'll be afforded much of an opportunity to grow if he's only getting a start every five or six weeks. Gillis & Co may talk big about giving Lu more time off but until they put their money where their mouth is, I'll take it with a grain of salt. If they are to move Schneider, best to package him ASAP with a guy like Raymond or Bieksa, and try to get something of significance. I just don't think he's as valuable an asset as Canucks fans think, and his value may only go downhill from here.