HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Stick Flex (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=786671)

blbb 06-14-2010 10:14 PM

Stick Flex

Hey guys.

Now I know this has been asked a lot but it's been bugging me...

I'm 5'7" 130lbs average strength... I've been using an int 67 flex stick but lately i just bought a new stick that's 75 flex.

I haven't used it yet and now i've been thinking of going back to exchange for a lower intermediate stick. Basically i'm just worried that the higher flex would hinder my shot.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in Advance:)

Persuasion 06-14-2010 10:24 PM

I find with a higher flex stick my defensive game improves as the stick generally feels stronger. In terms of shot, low flex is good for wristers and high flex is good for slaps IMO.

Hmm did you try flexing it and comparing with your old stick?

Try passing with it and stickhandling to see how it feels. That way the stick isn't damaged from use and you can exchange if necessary.

I am 5'10 180lbs and I use a 107 flex stick. My wrist shots are definitely stronger with a lower flex but I find my slaps are better.

blbb 06-14-2010 10:35 PM

Thanks for the quick response...

I usually play wing and occasionally play center... I use snap shots as my primary shot....

I've tried stick handling with it... it feels fine...

as far as flexing it goes... it definitely feels a lot stiffer. I have to put a lot of weight into it to flex it an inch.

vinogradov8 06-14-2010 11:09 PM

Here is mine: I am 6'0" , 195lbs, lift 175lbs bench, and have a flex of 112. That should be perfect for me with my slapshots, a bit stiff with wrist shots that I don't take as much.

Persuasion 06-14-2010 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blbb (Post 26292138)
Thanks for the quick response...

I usually play wing and occasionally play center... I use snap shots as my primary shot....

I've tried stick handling with it... it feels fine...

as far as flexing it goes... it definitely feels a lot stiffer. I have to put a lot of weight into it to flex it an inch.

Sounds like its too stiff for you.

Placebo Effect 06-15-2010 12:22 AM

Sometimes you gotta play around to find out what works for you. I originally used regular flex but decided to try mid flex. Shot sucked with it so now I've gone back to regular flex. If you feel your shot is fine with 67 flex then stick with it.

budster 06-15-2010 12:47 AM

You shouldn't have to put a lot of weight on your stick to bend it 1". It should bend that much under moderate pressure. You want to find the stiffest stick that you are able to bend without over-exerting yourself. Check out this hockey stick flex chart. Hope that helps.

blbb 06-15-2010 01:21 AM

Thanks everyone for the input... I guess i'll think about it a little more

Jarick 06-15-2010 08:53 AM

If you have to really lean into it to get any flex, it's going to be too stiff. At your height and weight, intermediates aren't out of the question.

Some people like to lean into the stick and use as much whip as possible, others are really strong and like to just power through the shot as quick and hard as they can. Just depends on your style.