HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Injury Report: Burrows may miss part of season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=786806)

Ernie 06-15-2010 11:47 AM

Burrows may miss part of season

Quote:

VANCOUVER The Vancouver Canucks may have to start next season without their top goal-scorer.

Winger Alex Burrows had shoulder surgery last week to repair a torn labrum and it is far from certain he will be ready to play when the Canucks open the regular season in early October.

Paul Corbeil, Burrows' agent, said Monday that he does not expect Burrows to be ready for training camp and suggested he could also miss the early part of the regular season.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/B...#ixzz0qwA8DB6h

Wow, that sucks. I guess he gets a pass for the playoffs.

With all the injuries, it should be no surprise that the Canucks could not advance this year.

MTechnik 06-15-2010 11:51 AM

So much for trading Raymond now. :shakehead

pitseleh 06-15-2010 11:59 AM

This also corroborates what Hockey Widow said a few days back. It lends some credibility to the rest of her information.

Nuckles 06-15-2010 12:03 PM

This might ruin Henrik's chance at winning the art ross again. :P

With the extra roster spot open (for a short period of time), this might give Hodgson a chance to play on the team.

Tarot Sport* 06-15-2010 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluninja (Post 26297085)
So much for trading Raymond now. :shakehead

Oh no! We can't trade one of our developed young players right before they enter their prime?!

Solidius 06-15-2010 12:12 PM

Somehow, I bet he'll find a way to better his goals tally.

Tarot Sport* 06-15-2010 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Solidius (Post 26297396)
Somehow, I bet he'll find a way to better his goals tally.

3 consecutive hat-tricks

FuzzyTitus 06-15-2010 12:26 PM

As much as it sucks that he won't be ready for the pre-season, I think this will give a prospect a chance to play while Burrows is recovering. Hopefully this heals and it doesn't become a long term issue.

The Hockey Widow also said Kesler is having surgery, but this was not mentioned in the release. However Kesler was suppose to be ready for training camp.

Mr. Canucklehead 06-15-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitseleh (Post 26297200)
This also corroborates what Hockey Widow said a few days back. It lends some credibility to the rest of her information.

Was going to say just that.

Explains a lot for Burrows, but it's just Canuck luck. That's two straight years now where we've had key players playing through injuries in the playoffs and it's cost us.(Burrows himself had a wrist injury in the 09 playoffs that he suffered early in the Chicago series, IIRC).

Hopefully he has a speedy recovery. But it could mean Samuelsson starts the season riding shotgun with the Twins, and that we see the Raymond-Kesler-Grabner line as the 2nd unit.

Mr. Canucklehead 06-15-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FuzzyTitus (Post 26297626)
As much as it sucks that he won't be ready for the pre-season, I think this will give a prospect a chance to play while Burrows is recovering. Hopefully this heals and it doesn't become a long term issue.

The Hockey Widow also said Kesler is having surgery, but this was not mentioned in the release. However Kesler was suppose to be ready for training camp.

Kesler's injury/surgery was reported in the Province a while ago, I believe. I think we even had a large thread here on HF devoted to it.

Placebo Effect 06-15-2010 12:56 PM

:banghead:

At what point does it quit becoming bad luck and maybe something that Takahashi is doing/not doing (legit question, I'm not blaming him yet but I'm beginning to worry)? I've never jumped on the blame Takahashi ship but at some point when our non injury plagued players are getting hurt (yes I know injuries can happen at anytime to anyone) in consecutive years it's a problem

Bobby Lou 06-15-2010 12:58 PM

This is starting to get really old.

Kagee* 06-15-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anonymouse (Post 26298097)
At what point does it quit becoming bad luck and maybe something that Takahashi is doing/not doing (legit question, I'm not blaming him yet but I'm beginning to worry)?

I wish Twist would come back!
As a lot of the Chicago players were saying for the most part they were all pretty lucky to be fully healthy for the entire Cup playoffs sans a few players of course.

Looks like Grabner is gonna get some quality minutes in the beginning of the season.

Wayne Maki 06-15-2010 01:10 PM

Good thing we have Samuelsson.

Placebo Effect 06-15-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoHo777 (Post 26298208)
I wish Twist would come back!
As a lot of the Chicago players were saying for the most part they were all pretty lucky to be fully healthy for the entire Cup playoffs sans a few players of course.

Looks like Grabner is gonna get some quality minutes in the beginning of the season.

I've read that quite a few NHL players train with Twist in the offseason, including Dan Hamhuis.

Speaking of Twist, I'm hoping to get into better shape by next summer so I can take his Adult conditioning program. Started playing hockey last year but there's a lot I can work on for my conditioning.

So, worst case scenario that Burrows isn't ready then I'm guessing our top six will be this (assuming Raymond re-signs).

Sedin - Sedin - Samuelsson
Raymond - Kesler - Grabner

Curious to see what happens on our third line. I don't think Gillis will not sign a third and fourth line centre so it's probably unlikely that Hodgson suits up. However, on the wing I wouldn't mind seeing Schroeder get a shot on the third line while Burrows' rehabs. It would probably be between him and Hansen (assuming Hansen re-signs and isn't traded)

Third line of FA Signing/Bernier - FA Signing - FA Signing/Schroeder/Hansen

Mr. Canucklehead 06-15-2010 01:30 PM

I agree that things really haven't quited jived in the same way since Twist left. There's your given cases like Salo, but it's the durable players getting these idiotic injuries that starts to worry me.

lush 06-15-2010 01:31 PM

Rough news about Burrows, but I'm inclined to agree that there's a silver lining here. With Schroeder, Rodin, Shirokov, Hodgson and Grabner all here for camp the opportunities for somebody to step in and deliver with the Sedins is awesome. Oh, and we have that other guy named Samuelsson as well.

But seriously, the Sedins aren't kids anymore, they don't need nearly as much out of their line mate that they used to, it's a great chance for one of our rooks to make a splash.

CCF23 06-15-2010 01:35 PM

Sounds like he won't miss too much time if he does miss the start of the season. Maybe 8-10 games at the most?

Placebo Effect 06-15-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCF23 (Post 26298685)
Sounds like he won't miss too much time if he does miss the start of the season. Maybe 8-10 games at the most?

Looks that way unless he has a setback Demitra style. 8-10 games would be an ideal trial period for one of our rookies.

Ernie 06-15-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CCF23 (Post 26298685)

Knowing Gillis, Burrows will be magically cured after 10 games (but not available any time sooner).

Meganuck* 06-15-2010 01:49 PM

I think Hodgson would be the 3rd line center regardless. It just gives another player a chance to be on that 3rd line.

Kagee* 06-15-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead (Post 26298598)
I agree that things really haven't quited jived in the same way since Twist left. There's your given cases like Salo, but it's the durable players getting these idiotic injuries that starts to worry me.

Yeah that's tough, I've read Twist's book, and he tried to keep the players off bikes as much as possible, as that didn't help the groin injuries that happen all too often.

FruityPants3* 06-15-2010 02:00 PM

Why wouldn't they do the surgery a month ago?

Ernie 06-15-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FruityPants3 (Post 26299069)

yeah, that's what I wondered. But he got the Canucks medical opinion, got a second opinion, and then the surgery. Maybe it takes time to schedule appointments and such? Especially if they did it in Canada...

CCF23 06-15-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FruityPants3 (Post 26299069)

Yeah, that doesn't make much sense, does it?