HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   New coach (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=78682)

S_O_T_I 05-18-2004 03:24 PM

New coach

I just wanted to pass along some info that I heard today. Sather is VERY close to hiring a new coach, but it's a big seceret as to who it is. From what we were told, the Dolans want to wait until later this summer to hire becuae they don't want to pay a coach if there is a lockout. Our source dismissed that becuase he said that there would be lanuage in the contract protecting them against against a stike or lockout. The two names that keep coming up are McGill and Martin. There was a report (which turned out to be false) that the Rangers offers the job to Martin and he turned it down. That might be true in the future, but it wasn't true a few weeks ago. McGills current run is giving him some solid momentum.

Son of Steinbrenner 05-18-2004 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S_O_T_I
I just wanted to pass along some info that I heard today. Sather is VERY close to hiring a new coach, but it's a big seceret as to who it is. From what we were told, the Dolans want to wait until later this summer to hire becuae they don't want to pay a coach if there is a lockout. Our source dismissed that becuase he said that there would be lanuage in the contract protecting them against against a stike or lockout. The two names that keep coming up are McGill and Martin. There was a report (which turned out to be false) that the Rangers offers the job to Martin and he turned it down. That might be true in the future, but it wasn't true a few weeks ago. McGills current run is giving him some solid momentum.

awesome if its martin or mcgill this team has a bright future

Bure9* 05-18-2004 03:28 PM

If Dolan doesn't want to hire anybody until later this summer, will Martin even agree to that? It looks like it's McGill if that is the case.

Melrose_Jr. 05-18-2004 03:30 PM

If it's McGill, would they make an announcement before the Calder Cup playoffs are over? Seems like a distraction the 'Pack doesn't need at the moment. :dunno:

Son of Steinbrenner 05-18-2004 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
If it's McGill, would they make an announcement before the Calder Cup playoffs are over? Seems like a distraction the 'Pack doesn't need at the moment. :dunno:

honestly the goal of the rangers is not for hartford to win a cup but for the rangers to have a stable organization. wouldn't it make the players player harder knowing that the guy behind the bench is going to make the choice of who plays on the big team next year?

Prucha73 05-18-2004 03:35 PM

Quote:

what are you saying, can you please be more clear? you got each sentence contradicting the next one.

Shadowtron 05-18-2004 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
what are you saying, can you please be more clear? you got each sentence contradicting the next one.

McGill or Martin as coach. Dolans worried about paying them through the lockout. Sources dismissed because the contract of the new coach would protect the team from paying during the lockout.

Bird Law 05-18-2004 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowtron
McGill or Martin as coach. Dolans worried about paying them through the lockout. Sources dismissed because the contract of the new coach would protect the team from paying during the lockout.

Hard is English.

Prucha73 05-18-2004 04:20 PM

So when will they announce the new coach? Could you be any more vague?

NYR2 05-18-2004 04:20 PM

I would think right now the goal is for the Pack to win the cup, don't you think? I mean, why wouldn't it be? :dunno:

Edge 05-18-2004 04:29 PM

I would think the delay points to McGill as coach because they dont want to distract anyone in hartford from the task at hand and because they dont wanna handcuff themselves if their is a lockout.

Bure9* 05-18-2004 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
I would think the delay points to McGill as coach because they dont want to distract anyone in hartford from the task at hand and because they dont wanna handcuff themselves if their is a lockout.

Anybody taking bets on how long it takes for Jagr to get McGill fired?

Edge 05-18-2004 05:42 PM

i dont think he would because there arent already expectations on this team. Everyone knows this team is rebuilding and i think that will be the mindset here.

pld459666 05-18-2004 07:05 PM

Normally that is the case

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
honestly the goal of the rangers is not for hartford to win a cup but for the rangers to have a stable organization. wouldn't it make the players player harder knowing that the guy behind the bench is going to make the choice of who plays on the big team next year?

But when the team is this close to winning it all, completing the task is of the utmost importance as it builds and breeds a winning attitude that can carry over, if it's McGill that gets the nod winning it all now will do wonders for him next year as the belief in the "system" will be that much more strengthened.

S_O_T_I 05-18-2004 07:40 PM

If it is McGill, they will wait until the end of the Wolfpacks season. As many of you know, it's almost impossible to get any information from Sather.

rnyquist 05-18-2004 08:08 PM

Quote:

If it is McGill, they will wait until the end of the Wolfpacks season. As many of you know, it's almost impossible to get any information from Sather.

Thats fine, i hate Gm's who stir the pot. I like Sathers closed lip policy, he's very business like, its the way things should be done

NYR469 05-18-2004 08:11 PM

Quote:

thats what i'm thinking...but if they are "very" close to hiring a new coach but wouldn't name mcgill till after the ahl playoffs, that kind of hints toward someone other than mcgill

Shadowtron 05-18-2004 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reveille
Hard is English.

;)

Shadowtron 05-18-2004 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
So when will they announce the new coach? Could you be any more vague?

Could you be any more obnoxious?

Bird Law 05-18-2004 08:38 PM

Quote:

;)

Winky is your smile. Sarcastic your tone was? Prucha73 compute does not?

Prucha73 05-18-2004 08:39 PM

Quote:

Could you be any more obnoxious?

look again at the original post, it talks a lot but actually says very little, it is obvious that a new coach will be hired very soon, you don't need to be "on the inside" to figure that one out.

Park #2 05-18-2004 08:55 PM

Quote:

I don't want this to come out the wrong way, because you have been on this board longer then I have, and the majority of people that post seem to have respect for your additions, sources, and information. In addition, I greatly respect the need to remain anonymous, keep sources and pieces of information hidden - moreso then you would imagine.

That said, this post is pretty ridiculous. So basically, the information you provided is that Sather knows whom he is hiring but will not announce it until later this summer. Um, that's real breaking news. Considering how difficult it is to get information out of Slats and the folks, how would someone know if he simply made up his mind and will not announce it? So basically, if the Rangers hire a coach by August - you were right.

There is no certainty with anything - especially Ranger rumor, but I have heard - take it as you must with any info coming from Rangerworld - that the job is McGill's. That said, if it is true - what do your sources say in if a lockout were to occur? They would obviously entertain the thought of having McGill coach the guys at Hartford that are eligible to play.

If I were to be an unpartial observer - and take your post as accurate - it would indicate to me that the Rangers are going outside the organization to hire - since Dolan wouldn't be worried about payroll issues on someone within the organization - since he is already on the payroll.

On a side note - just for giggles - Rachunek must be REAL happy with the thought of Martin as a coach. But alas, that IS NOT GOING to happen - at least from what I hear.

NYR469 05-18-2004 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Park #2
On a side note - just for giggles - Rachunek must be REAL happy with the thought of Martin as a coach. But alas, that IS NOT GOING to happen - at least from what I hear.

if rachunek had a problem with that i'd be pretty disappointed in him...i know that he didn't get along great with martin in ottawa, but martin was tough on him because he expected more from him. it wasn't that he didn't like him, he was trying to make him a better player...

and if rachunek would rather not play for a coach who will expect him to be the best he can be then i'm not sure i want him on the team

Park #2 05-18-2004 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
if rachunek had a problem with that i'd be pretty disappointed in him...i know that he didn't get along great with martin in ottawa, but martin was tough on him because he expected more from him. it wasn't that he didn't like him, he was trying to make him a better player...

and if rachunek would rather not play for a coach who will expect him to be the best he can be then i'm not sure i want him on the team

He's a human being - how would you expect him to feel? Martin ran him out of town. I'm not saying he was wrong or it wasn't deserved, but coaches make scapegoats out of players - and Rachunek was Martin's. And while yes, the objective was to make him a better player - some methods work with some players and some do not. MArtin clearly misjudged Rachunek and chose the wrong tactic. I'm not saying there is a personal hatred or dislike - but the two clearly don't work well together.

NYR469 05-18-2004 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Park #2
He's a human being - how would you expect him to feel? Martin ran him out of town. I'm not saying he was wrong or it wasn't deserved, but coaches make scapegoats out of players - and Rachunek was Martin's. And while yes, the objective was to make him a better player - some methods work with some players and some do not. MArtin clearly misjudged Rachunek and chose the wrong tactic. I'm not saying there is a personal hatred or dislike - but the two clearly don't work well together.

regardless of who the coach is, i hope that rachunek learned from what happened in ottawa and uses that experience to make himself a better player

he would definitely be human if he didn't want to play for martin...but at the same time i'd want him to step up to the challenge and say 'i'm gonna prove him wrong' rather than using it as an excuse