HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Carolina Hurricanes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Who do you want with #7? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=786965)

Boom Boom Anton 06-15-2010 06:36 PM

Who do you want with #7?

Probably would fit in the draft thread..but wanted a poll to see who everyone wanted.

Assumptions:

Hall, Seguin, Fowler, Gormley, Gudbranson are all drafted before we pick. I cannot predict who would go at #6 so everyone else is fair game.

Who do you want drafted?

Connolly
Tarasenko
Neiderreiter
Burmistrov
Granlund
Watson
Forbort
Johansen
Kabanov
Other

Jerry Lundegaard 06-15-2010 07:23 PM

Forbort.

totalkev 06-15-2010 07:43 PM

Trade down. Two-for-one.

Finlandia WOAT 06-15-2010 07:44 PM

Burmistrov or Connolly

Brock Anton 06-15-2010 08:15 PM

El Nino. If he's gone trade down and get Forbort

Cardiac_Canes 06-15-2010 08:48 PM

Connolly. We've gone with pretty safe picks the last few years. He's a very high reward player and supposedly his hip problems aren't as serious as they were initially made out to be. I'd like to take a chance with a skilled guy.

GIN ANTONIC 06-16-2010 01:57 AM

I saw an interview with Burmistrov and it seems like he's pretty focused on playing int he NHL and has a good head on his shoulders. BUT you really don't ever know with picking a Russian. As much as that sucks to say because he and so many others like him have great talent. I know lots are on the Neiderreiter train but agree with CC. It's time to take a bit of a risk. This kid has tremendous skill and could pan out huge.

vwg* 06-16-2010 02:16 AM

I'm on the Connolly train if he's still around at #7. If not him, Johansen/Niederreiter or Tarasenko.

bleedgreen 06-16-2010 02:33 AM

im on burmistrov like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Vagrant 06-16-2010 02:39 AM

1. Burmistrov
2. Niederreiter
3. Connolly
4. Johansen

In that order. If the draft falls differently, put any of the Top 3 defenders above Burmistrov and you have my entire wishlist for the 7th overall.

If a player like Pysyk or Forbort is still around into the early 20's, trade up and pick them up.

MD 06-16-2010 02:51 AM

1. Tarasenko
2. Connolly
3. Nino

imayagainknowanson 06-16-2010 06:14 AM

In order:

Fowler [ no chance, Islanders will pick him ]
Connoly [ take the risk. So much potential. ]
Gormley [ maybe Columbus will take him, or Isles ]
Tarasenko [ i have good feeling for this kid ]
Burmistrov
Johansen [ i know we have Staal and Sutter as a longterm #1 and #2 and eventually Dalpe as a #3 but i think Dalpe is going to be RW ]

I like Watson and Forbort too. Granlund is nice but he's way too small. We need some size actually. Boychuk, Sutter, Dalpe.... the new core needs size and grit.

Do not want - Etem.

Boom Boom Anton 06-16-2010 07:11 AM

I spent some more time reading up on each kid and my top list is now (in order):

Burmistrov
Connolly
Tarasenko

I think this team badly needs a skill guy so even though there is a little risk, I'd want JR to go with one of these guys.

Guerzy 06-16-2010 07:32 AM

I have been on the Nini Niederreiter side of things for quite some time so i'll give my vote to him, however, I don't think we can go wrong at the #7 spot based on what we know today. I'll be happy with any one of Niederreiter, Tarasenko, Burmistrov, Connolly, Johansen, etc. And if one of the 3 defenceman to fall to us, I'll still be just as happy.

It really looks like things won't be a given until the picks actually happen. Someone could trade up, someone could trade down. A team in the top 6 may take one of Niederreiter, Connolly or Tarasenko while one of Fowler, Gormley or Gudbranson fall a spot or two into the reach of a team that may not have been sold they would be in position to get one of them. One thing is a given, and that is it's going to be interesting to see it unfold.

tarheelhockey 06-16-2010 07:40 AM

1) Nino
2) Trade down
3) Tarasenko
4) Connolly
5) Granlund
6) Burmistrov
7) Someone named Sutter

faulkingdynamic 06-16-2010 08:10 AM

As a charter member of the Draft Tarasenko Club everyone knows where my vote went. Sure id like Nino's size but i just couldnt pass up Tarasenko's higher skill level especially when it comes with an NHL ready body, a winger who is tough on the puck, and a smallish guy who is still an absolute bulldog in the corner. Having smaller guys isnt an issue if they play bigger and are willing to do all the dirty work. Skill and tenacity are a tough combo to find and has been all but non existent in Carolina. That said i do have concern whether the kid will want to play in a city with almost no Russian presence to speak of....and i dont blame him if it is a concern. I dont even like staying in CA too long because i feel out of place. Although the Finns seems to have found Raleigh in a positive light in spite of having no finnish communities prior to their arrival.

Quacktastic 06-16-2010 08:55 AM

I'm torn between Nino and Connolly right now, and for now I'm going with Nino because he seems to have a better chance of contributing than Connolly. First off Connolly may just be chronically injured and end up like Gaborik was before this year, and second Nino looks to be better defensively so even if he can't put up huge points he could still do 3rd line grinding duties. Overall Nino is just safer, and if we go with him in the 1st I would love to see some aggressive picks in the 2nd Kabanov, Weal, etc.

DaveG 06-16-2010 10:40 AM

1) Tarasenko
2) Nino
3) Burmistrov
4) Connolly
5) Trade Down

Cardiac_Canes 06-16-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tarheelhockey (Post 26311065)
1) Nino
2) Trade down
3) Tarasenko
4) Connolly
5) Granlund
6) Burmistrov
7) Someone named Sutter

This year that would be Brody, a right winger for the Lethbridge Hurricanes. This is Duane's son and at 6'4" 190lbs he's physically a lot like Brandon when he was drafted. His stat line is pretty scary, though. 72 gp this year, 5 goals, 9 assists and with a sparkling +/- of -30 you can tell he has the same 2 way game as his cousin :sarcasm:

Do not want.

tarheelhockey 06-16-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cardiac_Canes (Post 26313112)
This year that would be Brody, a right winger for the Lethbridge Hurricanes. This is Duane's son and at 6'4" 190lbs he's physically a lot like Brandon when he was drafted. His stat line is pretty scary, though. 72 gp this year, 5 goals, 9 assists and with a sparkling +/- of -30 you can tell he has the same 2 way game as his cousin :sarcasm:

Do not want.

But what about the intangibles??? :sarcasm:

Cardiac_Canes 06-16-2010 11:28 AM

Forgot to mention that Stefan Chaput's little brother is in this draft, too. His name's Michael and he's a 6'1" 180lb centre with the Lewiston Maineiacs. Had decent numbers this year putting up 28 goals and 27 assists in 68 games. Could be someone to watch later in the draft.

NobodysFaulkButMine 06-16-2010 09:05 PM

Gormley. If he's gone, I couldn't care less as long as we don't go off the board. Every guy that's around us has their drawbacks that I've been nitpicking at. As long as we don't rush them, I'm happy with anyone we grab.

snakepliskin 06-17-2010 09:33 AM

skin a gm in a trade