HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   56-60 Canadiens or 76-79 Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=787363)

FASTHANDS* 06-16-2010 07:19 PM

56-60 Canadiens or 76-79 Canadiens
 
Who's the better dynasty the team that won 5 straight Cups from 1956-60 or the team that won 4 straight Cups from 1976-79. I personally think it's the 1970's Habs, their consistency was just unreal. Their last championship team was their weakest and they were still 52-17-11. How can you top this?

1975-76 58-11-11
1976-77 60-8-12
1977-78 59-10-11
1978-79 52-17-11

Aurel Joliat 06-16-2010 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FASTHANDS (Post 26321356)
Who's the better dynasty the team that won 5 straight Cups from 1956-60 or the team that won 4 straight Cups from 1976-79. I personally think it's the 1970's Habs, their consistency was just unreal. Their last championship team was their weakest and they were still 52-17-11. How can you top this?

1975-76 58-11-11
1976-77 60-8-12
1977-78 59-10-11
1978-79 52-17-11

Without a doubt the 50's dynasty. So many HOFers, retired numbers... Richard, Richard, Moore, Béliveau, Harvey, Moore, Geoffrion, Plante :)

RE-HABS 06-16-2010 09:12 PM

I would have to say the 76-79 dynasty. Lots of Hall of Famers there too. Plus their overall record was crazy back then, considering it was a 18 team league over the 6 team league back in the day.

It was easier to stack a team in the old days of the original six, in the 70's Habs didn't have the rights to the best Francophone players making Sam Pollock do some great deals to get them and others.

Great teams.

Pie O My 06-16-2010 10:11 PM

Certainly wasn't planning on posting on this board but this question just drew me in.

As a Bruins fan my hatred for all things Habs is only matched by my respect for those late 70's teams. I have told many Bruins fans over the years that there was no dishonor in losing to those teams. If i'm not mistaken the 76-77 team did not lose at home all season. Encroyable.

Never saw the late 50's teams but I'd imagine that the goalies would be a wash, Dryden = Plante? But what about the D? Savard, Lapointe, and Robinson. All on the same team? Is that even fair? What was the 50's answer to that? Harvey and who? Are they equivalent?

I guess the one wild card that the 50's would have that the 70's couldn't match would have been Rocket the Maurice Richard. And I'm not just talking about scoring.

So my vote goes to the 70's teams.

Hope I didn't p*ss anybody off too much.

Buh bye.

RE-HABS 06-16-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pie O My (Post 26323592)
Certainly wasn't planning on posting on this board but this question just drew me in.

As a Bruins fan my hatred for all things Habs is only matched by my respect for those late 70's teams. I have told many Bruins fans over the years that there was no dishonor in losing to those teams. If i'm not mistaken the 76-77 team did not lose at home all season. Encroyable.

Never saw the late 50's teams but I'd imagine that the goalies would be a wash, Dryden = Plante? But what about the D? Savard, Lapointe, and Robinson. All on the same team? Is that even fair? What was the 50's answer to that? Harvey and who? Are they equivalent?

I guess the one wild card that the 50's would have that the 70's couldn't match would have been Rocket the Maurice Richard. And I'm not just talking about scoring.

So my vote goes to the 70's teams.

Hope I didn't p*ss anybody off too much.

Buh bye.

Great post, you did nothing to piss anyone off. ;)

Maximus Taylor 06-16-2010 10:19 PM

Both great choices, obviously.

But you have to go with the one that won 5.

FASTHANDS* 06-16-2010 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Refunded Pants (Post 26323713)
Both great choices, obviously.

But you have to go with the one that won 5.

As good as the team that won 5 in a row, their was only six teams in the league. The reason why I go with the 70's dynasty is because their defense and Dryden in goal. The 1976-77 Canadiens 60-8-12. 387 goals scored while allowing 171, winning by an average of 2.76 goals a game and 33-1-6 at home.

Kimota 06-16-2010 10:36 PM

While they had guys like Dryden, Lafleur and the Big Three, I think the 70s Habs were great because they had a super-brain behind the bench. I think the squads from the 50s were individual monsters. It's like they had about 8 power forwards in one team, lead by the Rocket.

Bohemian93 06-17-2010 05:54 PM

56-60 in three words
Richard
Beliveau
Harvey


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.