HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Rumor: (from summer 2010) Gagne for Tim Thomas (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=788575)

FreshPerspective 06-20-2010 10:56 AM

(from summer 2010) Gagne for Tim Thomas

Interesting write up by Meltzer.....I wouldn't be against it necessarily. Flyers really only have a 2 yr window to win this evasive cup. I like the idea of keeping the D stacked and I hope that is the case. Move Gagne to Boston for Thomas who although old is definitely still capable....maybe even get Recchi for a year on the cheap which he is willing.

Quote:

The acquisition of Dan Hamhuis to the Flyers' defense corps gives the Flyers the best 1-to-5 group that I ever remember the team assembling. From what I understand, Hamhuis' addition will not affect the club's efforts to resign restricted free agent Braydon Coburn (who made $1.3 million last season), nor will the club actively shop Matt Carle (who has two seasons left at a $3.4 million cap hit).

The team wants to be as stacked as possible on the blueline, in order to relieve some regular season minutes from Chris Pronger and Kimmo Timonen, be better able to withstand injuries, and provide head coach Peter Laviolette more options when he needs to juggle defense pairings.

The number six defenseman, by necessity, will be a low-salaried youngster. Oskars Bartulis has the inside track but will have competition at training camp. It remains to be seen if any among Kevin Marshall (who would carry an $875,000 cap hit on the NHL end of his entry-level contract), Joonas Lehtivuori ($850,000), Denis Bodrov, Marc-Andre Bourdon or Erik Gustafsson are ready or able to push Bartulis. The club may not carry a seventh defenseman to start the season. Danny Syvret, a restricted free agent, made a prorated $575,000 last season during his time with the big club. Bartulis will make $600,000 for the next three seasons after signing a long-term contract during last season.
On a Gagne trade

Quote:

According to multiple sources, Paul Holmgren has been inquiring about goaltender trade possibilities -- both for veteran keepers and youngsters -- on a virtually league-wide basis, and the trade route rather than signing a free agent appears to be the club's preferred method to landing a starting goalie for next year.

One rumor that surfaced yesterday was that the Boston Bruins are dangling Tim Thomas, who has three years left on a contract that carries a $5 million cap hit. The 36-year-old Thomas, who was the 2008-09 Vezina Trophy winner but lost his starting job to Tuukka Rask over the course of last season, will make $6 million in actual dollars this season.

While Thomas would be a significant upgrade over any of the goaltenders the Flyers used last season and his competitive nature would play well with the Philly crowd, his age and contract length are definitely major concerns. So is the fact that, although Rask is the present and future for the Bruins in goal, the club has allegedly set its sights high on a return it wants to for Thomas.

I don't know specifically what Boston wants but, through process of elimination, I arrived at Simon Gagne as the most logical trade fit if he's willing to waive his no-trade.

You aren't going to trade Jeff Carter for a goalie Thomas' age, nor is the organization deep enough prospect-wise to be able to easily move Claude Giroux or James Van Riemsdyk. That would leave Gagne as the most desirable remaining target, if he's willing to go to a Boston team that struggled offensively all last season and saw first-hand in the playoffs that Gagne still has some clutch goals left in him. Gagne would also be a fairly close cap-figure match to Thomas and plays a two-way game that's a must to be a fit for the Bruins' system.

Will it happen? I have no idea. There are too many variables and alternative possibilities. But it is an interesting possibility to debate. From a Boston perspective, it would add to their forward corps, give them a year to evaluate whether they want to commit a long-term extension to the 30-year-old Gagne and they still have Rask in goal. For the Flyers, the loss of Gagne would sting a little, but they would have a good shot at another run to the Finals with an upgrade in goal, an already-upgraded defense and a forward lineup that while not with its share of question marks has the potential to be offensively potent.
Source:http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...20-10/45/28883

FlyHigh 06-20-2010 11:02 AM

Damn I don't want to trade Gags, at least let him finish out his deal here.

I can see them trying to get away with keeping Coburn/Carle/Hamhuis, but that means they'll need an epic salary dump after next year and they'll be dealing from a position of weakness.

I mean, why not just trade Carle, sign Turco, and see what you have in Bobro and Eriksson before you start giving up assets for a young goalie?

Hockeypete49 06-20-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoom (Post 26377735)
Interesting write up by Melzer.....I wouldn't be against it necessarily. Flyers really only have a 2 yr window to win this evasive cup. I like the idea of keeping the D stacked and I hope that is the case. Move Gagne to Boston for Thomas who although old is definitely still capable....maybe even get Recchi for a year on the cheap which he is willing.

On a Gagne trade

Source:http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Bill-...20-10/45/28883

Flyers get hosed here, No way:shakehead

JCameron418 06-20-2010 11:04 AM

Bad deal. A 36 year old goalie with that high of a cap hit isn't worth giving anything valuable for. Boston should be begging teams to take him away at this point.

dgaspari 06-20-2010 11:13 AM

people who keep making these thomas proposals need to understand THIS IS A SALARY CAPPED LEAGUE.. no team is going to take on a major salary commitment for a 36 yr old over the hill player. i believe that teams like the flyers who are up against the cap will only move high end players for prospects and draft picks. i believe that the st louis / montreal trade will be the model for all flyers transactions

RoDu 06-20-2010 11:25 AM

Thomas is way to old and makes way to much to make him a target

PhillyCurt12 06-20-2010 11:28 AM

i have a counter offer:

we keep gagne, the bruins keep thomas, we sign turco, we trade carle for picks/prospects/3rd line d-man

healthyscratch 06-20-2010 11:32 AM

Good god no. 36 year old Tim Thomas and 3 more years at 5 million per on the cap????

$%#& NO!!!!! At those numbers they should be paying teams to take him off their hands, not expecting Gagne in return.

Any just in case I wasn't clear enough....

ABOSOLUTELY %$#&ING NOT!!!!!!

Haute Couturier 06-20-2010 12:01 PM

I dont like it because he ha a 35+ contract but I could see Homer doing it.

MsWoof 06-20-2010 12:04 PM

No, no, a thousand times no! Thomas can stay in Boston, thanks.

DeadPhish5858 06-20-2010 12:07 PM

Boston is going to have to add alot to get rid of Thomas. Its a bad contract so they have to be prepared to add something for a team to take it off their hands.

ToTheNet 06-20-2010 12:12 PM

We'll trade them Gags for Thomas if they also give us their 1st/2nd round pick and possibly a decent wing prospect. . . that is the only way this deal gets done

Garbage Goal 06-20-2010 12:14 PM

Gagne for Thomas is probably the second worst thing Homer could do to this team this off-season. The

Cinerary 06-20-2010 12:15 PM

Hell no.

no1b4me 06-20-2010 12:30 PM

Say no to Thomas and Turco.

dbr2 06-20-2010 12:33 PM

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

infidelappel* 06-20-2010 12:38 PM

No way...first off, Gagne's importance to this team is underrated. Secondly, why would we take on such an awful contract for an aging goaltender?

Gagne's cap hit will go down after this year if we choose to keep him...no reason to do this deal.

JDinkalage Morgoone 06-20-2010 12:41 PM

Nay I say, Gagne's great 2 way play and scoring is necessary to our success

CS 06-20-2010 12:48 PM

Thomas + 2nd overall for Gagne

See? I can be innovative.

FlyerEra2010 06-20-2010 12:50 PM

I'd be pretty disappointed if this happened.

I like Thomas' demeanor, but he's not good enough for a 5 million dollar cap hit. And I'd hope we wouldn't trade Gagne unless it gave us some actual cap relief.

A Clerk 06-20-2010 01:24 PM

Would you guys be against bringing Nitty back for a cheap option?

Larry44 06-20-2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 (Post 26378736)
Boston is going to have to add alot to get rid of Thomas. Its a bad contract so they have to be prepared to add something for a team to take it off their hands.

Gagne for Thomas and one of their top prospects, like Jordan Caron or Joe Colborne. They have to pay a premium to ditch that contract. How about the Leafs' 2nd round pick?

Start Leighton* 06-20-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Clerk (Post 26379782)
Would you guys be against bringing Nitty back for a cheap option?

I would take Biron back over Nitty hands down.

Haute Couturier 06-20-2010 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larry44 (Post 26379820)
Gagne for Thomas and one of their top prospects, like Jordan Caron or Joe Colborne. They have to pay a premium to ditch that contract. How about the Leafs' 2nd round pick?

I'd want their first, the 15th overall.

Larry44 06-20-2010 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Libertine (Post 26379880)
I'd want their first, the 15th overall.

Good point. And they should throw in Blake Wheeler too.