HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Rumor: Pens to go hard after Whitney (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=788614)

Mr Jiggyfly 06-20-2010 12:48 PM

Pens to go hard after Whitney

Quote:

Take this to the bank: the Pittsburgh Penguins will go hard after Carolina Hurricanes winger Ray Whitney as a free agent, after letting the hugely disappointing Alexei Ponikarovsky and the enigmatic Ruslan Fedotenko walk away.

Ponikarovsky was a dud after they got him from the Toronto Maple Leafs. He was a healthy playoff scratch, doing himself no favours in free agency.

Whitney would like a two-year deal, but he might take one to play with Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin.
Read more: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sport...#ixzz0rPtB2CcV

Rowdy Roddy Peeper 06-20-2010 12:52 PM

If two years is the sticking point, budge, Ray.

Eli Cash 06-20-2010 12:55 PM

Come on Ray, sign the other Ray.

eXile59 06-20-2010 12:55 PM

I have no problem with giving him a 2 year deal. He has proven he is still a great player especially on the PP. Then if he does age fast or get injuried his contract won't hold us down more then a year.

I hope its just not wishful thinking and a fabrication.

UnderratedBrooks44 06-20-2010 12:58 PM

More "news that's not really news", except the one year deal thing which I'd guess is completely made up.

sEmowashere 06-20-2010 01:00 PM

Hopefully this happens. It would be nice to get some skill on the wings.

wej20 06-20-2010 01:00 PM

Poni's rights for Whitney's rights? or maybe Leo/Eaton if they have interest.

JordanStaal#1Fan 06-20-2010 01:01 PM

2 years? Get it done Ray! We might even get him at a lower cap hit.

Sign Whitney, sign Michalek, keep Eaton and trade for Versteeg.

Kunitz - Sid - Versteeg
Whitney - Geno - Dupuis
Big Dog - Staal - Kennedy
Rupp - Talbot - Adams

Orpik - Letang
Michalek - Goligoski
Eaton - Lovejoy

Fleury
Johnson

Make it happen!

td_ice 06-20-2010 01:04 PM

Interesting. Would like to see what he could do on the Pen's.

invictus 06-20-2010 01:06 PM

The first signing is the biggest. Once one domino falls, all the rest of the pieces start to fall into place.

UnderratedBrooks44 06-20-2010 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan (Post 26379456)
2 years? Get it done Ray! We might even get him at a lower cap hit.

Sign Whitney, sign Michalek, keep Eaton and trade for Versteeg.

Kunitz - Sid - Versteeg
Whitney - Geno - Dupuis
Big Dog - Staal - Kennedy
Rupp - Talbot - Adams

Orpik - Letang
Michalek - Goligoski
Eaton - Lovejoy

Fleury
Johnson

Make it happen!

If it's true what they're saying, that you have to take Sopel if you want Versteeg for a 2nd rounder (or equivalent), I think the Pens are out of the running which *sigh* I think is the correct call. Now if they would take our 1st rounder and just give us Versteeg I'd still do that.

redsono93 06-20-2010 01:17 PM

Here is my idea if we get Whitney. Trade for Versteeg & Ladd or trade for Horton

Whitney Crosby Versteeg/Horton
Kunitz Malkin Zherdev
Ladd Staal Kennedy
Adams Konopka Rupp

Orpik Letang
Michalek Goligoski
Eaton Foster

Fleury
Johnson

Trade Dupis, Godard, Talbot. Get a prospect and or part of a trade for them. I'm sure I am over the cap with this line up but we can all dream:)

BadHammy* 06-20-2010 01:18 PM

Keep in mind that the Hawks are willing to give up Versteeg for a 2nd, if you'll accept Sopel as well. So take that deal, waive Sopel and then sign Whitney, winger problems solved!!

redsono93 06-20-2010 01:19 PM

ESPN rumors is reporting James Wisniewski is asking for a trade he mad 2.75 last year and wants a raise. For 3 million he could be a great asset for our defense. I really love his style of play.

redsono93 06-20-2010 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donGjohnson (Post 26379709)
Keep in mind that the Hawks are willing to give up Versteeg for a 2nd, if you'll accept Sopel as well. So take that deal, waive Sopel and then sign Whitney, winger problems solved!!

Hmm I also keep hearing Ladd is part of trade rumors. Is that true? How is Sopel? He would be a decent bottom pairing.

JordanStaal#1Fan 06-20-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 (Post 26379527)
If it's true what they're saying, that you have to take Sopel if you want Versteeg for a 2nd rounder (or equivalent), I think the Pens are out of the running which *sigh* I think is the correct call. Now if they would take our 1st rounder and just give us Versteeg I'd still do that.

So would I my friend, so would I.

Our first round pick this year may not reach the level Versteeg is at right now. Let's take a chance on him.

Mister Ed 06-20-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly (Post 26379281)

I think it's more like Whitney wants a 3 year deal but might take 2. He should have more than enough leverage to get 2 years if that's what he'll settle for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnderratedBrooks44 (Post 26379527)

This is where ownership steps in and says: if worse comes to worse, we'll eat Sopel's $2M left on his contract in WBS if it means we get Versteeg.

BadHammy* 06-20-2010 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redsono93 (Post 26379741)
We don't have a 2nd this year.

I've got a hunch they'd take a 2011 2nd rounder...

UnderratedBrooks44 06-20-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Ed (Post 26379763)

This is where ownership steps in and says: if worse comes to worse, we'll eat Sopel's $2M left on his contract in WBS if it means we get Versteeg.

Maybe. I can understand it being a tough pill to swallow when basically you're having to take $2.33 million and flush it down the toilet. I understand where you're coming from, but I could also understand ownership making the point that there's other players out there.

JordanStaal#1Fan 06-20-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Ed (Post 26379763)
I think it's more like Whitney wants a 3 year deal but might take 2. He should have more than enough leverage to get 2 years if that's what he'll settle for.

We could use Sopel on our third pairing, though. His 2 million cap hit isn't higher than what we would have to pay for Leopold or Eaton. I'd take a chance with Sopel and go with that defense:

Orpik - Letang
Michalek (hopefully) - Goligoski
Leopold/Eaton (sign one of them) - Sopel
Lovejoy

Mister Ed 06-20-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JordanStaal#1Fan (Post 26379807)
We could use Sopel on our third pairing, though. His 2 million cap hit isn't higher than what we would have to pay for Leopold or Eaton. I'd take a chance with Sopel and go with that defense:

Orpik - Letang
Michalek (hopefully) - Goligoski
Leopold/Eaton (sign one of them) - Sopel
Lovejoy

True, Sopel is overpaid but still a good depth defenseman who obviously can play a role on a Cup winner. At the very worst, you dump him in WBS at some point over the year and bring him back for the playoffs.

td_ice 06-20-2010 01:28 PM

Down the stretch, Sopel played VERY WELL for the Hawks. Now, that might not extend to the upcoming season, but he was a large part of the Hawks winning the Cup. Very reliable.

redsono93 06-20-2010 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donGjohnson (Post 26379764)
I've got a hunch they'd take a 2011 2nd rounder...

I don't think we have a 2nd rounder for 2011. Would they take a 1st this year and maybe Dupis, Godard, or Talbot and or prospects for Versteeg and Ladd? If they have to throw in Sopel then so be it. If we can't get Whitney, Ladd would be a great back up plan. Worse case scenario Ladd plays in Cooke's spot and gives our 3rd line a scoring punch. When Kunitz and Whitney retire and or get traded we would have Ladd as a top LW and Tangradi.

Whitney Crosby Versteeg
Kunitz Malkin Zherdev
Ladd Staal Kennedy
Adams Konopka Rupp

Letang Orpik
Michalek Goligoski
Sopel Foster

Fleury
Johnson

Coach John McGuirk 06-20-2010 01:37 PM

Whitney; 2yrs, $4.50mil

Make it happen, Ray.

cassius 06-20-2010 01:49 PM

Whitney would be a great pickup for the Pens - I think he would fit nicely with either Sid or Malkin. Get it done Ray Ray