HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Rumor: Flyers interested in Nittymaki (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=788722)

zamboni88 06-20-2010 07:08 PM

Flyers interested in Nittymaki

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...za-Tor/1/28884

Quote:

The Flyers may be looking to an old friend to backstop the team: Antero Niittymaki may be the leading candidate for the job if the team decides to stay around 1 to 1.5 million. The Bolts do like him as well still, but I am hearing Tampa may be going for a bigger score at that position. That being said...there is also a major trade I am hearing which could bring the Flyers a legit #1. But I won't know more on that until tomorrow at the earliest.

Opus 06-20-2010 07:09 PM

They should have never let him go in the first place.

ToTheNet 06-20-2010 07:10 PM

no thanks. . . i'd much rather have Ellis

RIPRichardsCarter 06-20-2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opus (Post 26384497)

This.

I'd be glad to have him back, but I hope he doesn't get injured and we find ourselves back in the same situation.

Evgeny Oliker 06-20-2010 07:11 PM

I dont get why the Flyers let him go in the first place. He is a very underrated goalie who had some injury issues in the past but seems to be fine now.

ToTheNet 06-20-2010 07:12 PM

Yup, all we need is another goalie with 2 bad hips.

ShawnTHW 06-20-2010 07:14 PM

Ill pass on any player that is injury prone.

2Claude2Giroux 06-20-2010 07:18 PM

Eklund

FreshPerspective 06-20-2010 07:18 PM

If his hip situation is behind him I like Nitty...plus it's never bad to have a goalie that can single handedly win the regular season series against Atlanta although his nemesis is now out west ;)

Jester 06-20-2010 07:23 PM

The hip injury issue causes me concern... I also have concerns about his ability to play at a high level throughout the season, he always seems to slow down... and that doesn't bode well for playoff success.

Check out his monthly splits in his career:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...ttan01/splits/

Giroux tha Damaja 06-20-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrDoom (Post 26384625)
If his hip situation is behind him I like Nitty...plus it's never bad to have a goalie that can single handedly win the regular season series against Atlanta although his nemesis is now out west ;)

Once you tear your labrums they're never the same, even after surgery. I don't think he'll ever be able to handle a true starters workload.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opus (Post 26384497)

Seconded.

If they bring Nitty back for back up duties, I would be so stoked. People balk at this but I honestly think if the guy had two good hips he'd be a top 15 goalie in the NHL.

JABEE 06-20-2010 07:29 PM

Nitty was great for Finland.

Jester 06-20-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I am The Mush (Post 26384694)
Seconded.

If they bring Nitty back for back up duties, I would be so stoked. People balk at this but I honestly think if the guy had two good hips he'd be a top 15 goalie in the NHL.

While here, he REALLY struggled positionally. Obviously didn't see enough of him in Tampa to know how he did with that down there, but he always seemed to run into games where he was just swimming in the crease too much. Improved at it a bit after his year as a starter, but think that was more benefiting from not playing as much and staying on point a bit more.

I would be fine with him as a backup, but they shouldn't bring him back to start... and that sounds like what they're thinking according to this rumor.

FreshPerspective 06-20-2010 07:35 PM

Definitely not starter material and yes the hips are probably chronic but he's a better goaltender than Boosh and in some respects Leighton...

Giroux tha Damaja 06-20-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 26384772)
While here, he REALLY struggled positionally. Obviously didn't see enough of him in Tampa to know how he did with that down there, but he always seemed to run into games where he was just swimming in the crease too much. Improved at it a bit after his year as a starter, but think that was more benefiting from not playing as much and staying on point a bit more.

I would be fine with him as a backup, but they shouldn't bring him back to start... and that sounds like what they're thinking according to this rumor.

At times, for sure.

I actually think just the opposite regarding the effect of playing time with him. I don't know any goalie that doesn't play better when they get more minutes (to a point obviously). The problem with Nitty can be that once you get him some games and he finds a groove you only have about 20 more games till his hips start slowing him down (just my opinion from watching him, never heard anyone else say as much).

Nitty is an athletic goalie and I think he gets away from just playing quiet and staying in position when he isn't playing a lot. It's like he's too fired up and wants to make every single movement a big explosive one. Once he gets settled in I thought he did better in that regard.

Start Leighton* 06-20-2010 07:40 PM

So that tandem of Biron Nitty we had looks pretty good right about now.

SolidSnakeUS 06-20-2010 07:42 PM

Do you think he is a worse option than Leighton?

Start Leighton* 06-20-2010 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS (Post 26384963)
Do you think he is a worse option than Leighton?

Biron>Nitty>Leighton

Not even gonna try to explain myself other than my mancrush on Biron is ridiculous.

Evgeny Oliker 06-20-2010 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 26384670)
The hip injury issue causes me concern... I also have concerns about his ability to play at a high level throughout the season, he always seems to slow down... and that doesn't bode well for playoff success.

keep in mind that typically NHL season ends mid April...this season ended on April 11. So him playing only a few games is normal. But he played 12 games in March, which is quite a lot for a guy who still had to deal with Smith. He then played in 3 of the 5 Tampa games in April.

TheDrizzle81 06-20-2010 08:19 PM

it would be an awesome move in the NHL realligned and the thrashers moved out west and we met in the finals.

RJ8812 06-20-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jester (Post 26384670)

holy ****! Nitty is 83-0 when he wins a game! :laugh:

MsWoof 06-20-2010 09:23 PM

I'd love to get Niitty back!! I think he can handle a shared workload with Leighton if that's who Philly brings back, and he should benefit from having Jeff Reese as the goalie coach.

SolidSnakeUS 06-20-2010 09:25 PM

I honestly think Niitty should stay where he is though, especially since he is STILL amazing against Atlanta, 17-0.

ToTheNet 06-20-2010 09:26 PM

Well we might as well go after Shea Weber or Duncan Keith or Seabrook or Lidstrom or any of those other top #1s . . . then we could put anyone in net and be fine!

mypunkrock 06-20-2010 09:35 PM

Go for Biron. With Jeff Reese, a 1.5 mil contract, and the defense we have, he'd be golden. We know he's athletic, no major injury history.

Do it.