HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Schremp (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=78875)

Dgrohl8 05-19-2004 01:25 PM

Schremp
 
I heard something pretty interesting today and that is that Robbie Schremp has a very good chance of dropping out of the top 15 players chosen and take a huge drop like o'sullivan but the big question is if he is there and 16 do we trade up and get him or do we trade up and get Val or do we stay its going to be one interesting draft

BobMarleyNYR 05-19-2004 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgrohl8
I heard something pretty interesting today and that is that Robbie Schremp has a very good chance of dropping out of the top 15 players chosen and take a huge drop like o'sullivan but the big question is if he is there and 16 do we trade up and get him or do we trade up and get Val or do we stay its going to be one interesting draft

You know, a lot of everyone has heard that of Schremp... I know I've heard about him falling, but I doubt it'll be past no. 11. I'll be quite surprised if he falls out of the lottery. I'd love to trade up for him... question is, can we get him at, IMO, 10-15? Would anyone part with any of those picks?

Park #2 05-19-2004 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dgrohl8
I heard something pretty interesting today and that is that Robbie Schremp has a very good chance of dropping out of the top 15 players chosen and take a huge drop like o'sullivan but the big question is if he is there and 16 do we trade up and get him or do we trade up and get Val or do we stay its going to be one interesting draft

There is talk of that - and it wouldn't shock me at all. I can see LA grabbing him though.... But if he falls past 12, I would argue that any team capable MUST trade up to grab him.

Barnaby 05-19-2004 02:40 PM

I would definately try to move up for Shremp if he drops out of the top 10. If you can get him at 11-15 that could be the steal of the draft. I am not a huge Schremp fan - I would be extremely annoyed if we walked away with at #6 because I have my doubts about his character - but if you can get him later he could turn into a HUGE asset. In my mind we walk out with Olesz, Ladd, or Thelan at #6. If you could get Schremp at say 12 it would be huge.

Either stay at #6 or move up to something like #4 if Columbus decides to move it. If they set their sites on a guy like Ladd, and think he'll be at 6 you could probably move up for one of our mid-2nd rounders to grab Olesz. Or stay at 6... I have no problem with the other 2 guys.

Then you could look to deal up from the Toronto pick by sending a combo of 2nds, Poti, or Lundmark depending on the asking price to grab Schremp.

Olesz - Schremp
Ladd - Schremp
Thelan - Schremp

All great combo's in IMHO

Bird Law 05-19-2004 04:19 PM

He won't fall past #14, as the Oilers' would grab him in an instant.

Bird Law 05-19-2004 04:20 PM

Last year I predicted O'Sullivan to go in the top 20 (look who's laughing now that he has completely righted himself - the Wild definately are as they got a STEAL). Who knows this year, since the first round is such a crapshot. Even more now that guys like Radulov, Thelen, Valabik, Montoya, Schwarz, Tukonen, etc. have caused a new stir.

RANGERDIEHARD 05-19-2004 06:03 PM

I was a big Schremp supporter but after learning that his Junior coach benched him for most of game 7 during the playoffs it kinda of leaves you wondering. What kind of commitment will this kid have at the NHL level?! The NHL is a different league than what it was 10 years ago; players with all skill and little defense are not desired. It's all hard skating and fighting for lose pucks, and of course commiting to team defense. I wanted Schremp to be our 1st pick, but not now.

nyr5186 05-19-2004 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD
I was a big Schremp supporter but after learning that his Junior coach benched him for most of game 7 during the playoffs it kinda of leaves you wondering. What kind of commitment will this kid have at the NHL level?! The NHL is a different league than what it was 10 years ago; players with all skill and little defense are not desired. It's all hard skating and fighting for lose pucks, and of course commiting to team defense. I wanted Schremp to be our 1st pick, but not now.

Yeah, I was riding the Schremp bandwagon for a while too. I thought that his superior talent would eventually outweigh his question marks, but lately I've grown wary of that notion. Knowing that he might drop lower than previously thought, I'd put Ladd, Tukonen, Thelen and possibly Radulov ahead of him now. If he's still on the board at #14 though, I'd do everything I can to get that pick from Edmonton.

How about this deal:

To Oilers: Toronto's 1st rounder (24 or 25) and two 2nd rounders (one early and one late)

To Rangers: Edmonton's #14 overall and a 3rd rounder

RANGERDIEHARD 05-19-2004 07:34 PM

I think that's giving up too much, plus given the draft is a crap shoot I'm a believer that a team should not trade up; the more picks you have the better the chances of landing a star.

free0717 05-19-2004 08:29 PM

I love schremp. The guy has tremendous upside. But I dont want to take him at #6. I would rather take tukonen because he is a bigger more physical player, the type we need in the east. But if he falls far enough, I would give up a 2nd rounder to get him.

Prucha73 05-19-2004 08:36 PM

What are Schremp's biggest problems? Bad defense, lack of desire, lazyness, attitude?

RANGERDIEHARD 05-19-2004 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
What are Schremp's biggest problems? Bad defense, lack of desire, lazyness, attitude?

From what I read, he has been criticized for all that you mentioned, who knows to what degree? He is touted as having the best hockey smarts in the draft and his offensive skills are raved about. The Rangers have had more than their fair share of "lazy talent' and that has gotten us 8 non-playoff seasons. I'm just not sure that we should take that much of a chance on him, and I'm sure many teams drafting early will share that same thought.

Prucha73 05-19-2004 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD
From what I read, he has been criticized for all that you mentioned, who knows to what degree? He is touted as having the best hockey smarts in the draft and his offensive skills are raved about. The Rangers have had more than their fair share of "lazy talent' and that has gotten us 8 non-playoff seasons. I'm just not sure that we should take that much of a chance on him, and I'm sure many teams drafting early will share that same thought.

Yeah probably better to stay away unless he really drops far. The only thing that interests me about him is that everybody keeps saying that he has unbelievable skill and is an awesome playmaker, which is something I feel we really need. But I am at the same time somewhat skeptical that he really is so skilled, plus I don't want his baggage.

rnyquist 05-19-2004 11:02 PM

I assure you, Schremp has the most natural skill of anyone in the draft, bar none. His vision, smarts and puck skills are insane and his ability to read the play is right upthere with the best of the NHL already. Schremp may be a gamble, but the talent is there, he won't make it our of the top 10 i guarantee it

Park #2 05-19-2004 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD
From what I read, he has been criticized for all that you mentioned, who knows to what degree? He is touted as having the best hockey smarts in the draft and his offensive skills are raved about. The Rangers have had more than their fair share of "lazy talent' and that has gotten us 8 non-playoff seasons. I'm just not sure that we should take that much of a chance on him, and I'm sure many teams drafting early will share that same thought.

I wouldn't say Schremp is lazy at all. These stories all got started when the kid left Mississauga a few games into Greg Gilbert's tenure. That was a combition of things - including some very bad advice in my opinion. HE went to LOndon. At the time of this occurence - He was rated #2 on most draft boards, no lower then 4. SO, we are not even eight months later, and people have a pretty unfair label on him. He's a good good - his defensive play is questionable, but you know what - so where a lot of great talents coming out of juniors. I look at this kid and I see the offensive ability of a Pat LaFontaine and more.

Prucha73 05-19-2004 11:10 PM

So would you take Schremp at #6?

rnyquist 05-19-2004 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
So would you take Schremp at #6?

Personally, yes, without a doubt if I was drafting he'd be my #6

Park #2 05-19-2004 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
So would you take Schremp at #6?

I am probably in the minority about this, but if I'm running the draft I would have no problems taking him there at all.

RANGERDIEHARD 05-19-2004 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Park #2
I wouldn't say Schremp is lazy at all. These stories all got started when the kid left Mississauga a few games into Greg Gilbert's tenure. That was a combition of things - including some very bad advice in my opinion. HE went to LOndon. At the time of this occurence - He was rated #2 on most draft boards, no lower then 4. SO, we are not even eight months later, and people have a pretty unfair label on him. He's a good good - his defensive play is questionable, but you know what - so where a lot of great talents coming out of juniors. I look at this kid and I see the offensive ability of a Pat LaFontaine and more.

All that you mentioned about him asking to be traded out of Mississauga didn't bother me one bit - he was a 16 year old kid after all. I simply don't like it when the one individual who knows him the best out of any of us, his Junior hockey coach, decided to keep him on the bench during the most important game of the season; to me that is scary. No one has a crystal ball and he may turn out to be awesome....then again he could turn out to be Alexander Daigle , if the risk is too great then teams will pass on him and opt for a safer pick. I will not be surprised one bit to see him go at around 9.
BTW his WJC snub isn't that attractive either.

Prucha73 05-20-2004 12:27 AM

at 5'11" and 200lbs is Schremp a bit overweight or is it all muscle?

Edge 05-20-2004 01:43 AM

Personally I wouldn't. I think the skills are getting a little overrated {aka Dan Cleary} and I have concerns about his buying into a system which is EVERYTHING in today's NHL.

Now it also depends on if I end up getting another top 6 pick. If I land Olesz before hand {I think he is a better RW} than I might be inclinded to gamble on Schremp, but personally I'd take 8-14 and hope that despite all of his skill he spreads out as a player.

People keep looking back to O'Sullivan last year and they forget two things. First, it was a totally different situation. Concerns didn't revolve around Patrick's ability to play so much as his ability to overcome his father. Secondly, O'Sullivan still has to show he can handle the NHL level. No one doubts he can play at the OHL level.

Having said that, Schremp is a tough pill to swallow for a team that took Jessiman last year and is just getting over an era of players who have tons of skill but can't play into a system. I find it funny how everyone complains about that when a guy is in his late 20's but it doesn't matter if it's a draft pick because he's "new and shiney"

Edge 05-20-2004 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prucha73
at 5'11" and 200lbs is Schremp a bit overweight or is it all muscle?


He's in good shape, it's not fat, though personally I think he's playing a little bit too heavy. 190-195 should be his range. He'll probablly finish at about 6'0 as well.

Bluenote13 05-20-2004 10:53 AM

I can't even imagine if Slats pulled off both Schremp & Olesz.
Or Ladd & Olesz. But to think about a possible future PP
of Olesz-Schremp-Jessiman/Balej/Prucha :amazed:

Edge, everytime you mention Cleary i cringe,
man do i see shades of him in Schremp. But at
times he's looked like Modano, thats whats so
tough about this kid.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:36 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.