HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Other: Jason Spezza Trade Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=788948)

gongshowmonkey 06-21-2010 12:20 PM

Jason Spezza Trade Talk

June 23 update - More speculation
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...143/story.html

Quote:

Is there substance to speculation the Boston Bruins would deal their second-overall draft selection at the NHL entry draft on June 25-26 to Ottawa, in exchange for the Senators' first-line centre?

Another Update
https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger

I just asked Bryan Murray if I can kill the "Spezza to Columbus rumour"...he replied, "yes, please do." End of story. For now.

Another Update

https://twitter.com/*************
Breaking News: Spezza NOT officially traded to Jackets as of right now, teams still trying to finalize deal but it sounds like its close.
http://twitter.com/gongshowmonkey/status/16726748215
coming from a reliable source from Ottawa, Spezza to Jackets for 4th, Brassard, and Huselius

UPDATE:
Rumors coming that Spezza has been traded to the Jackets for 4th overall, Brassard and Huselius -

following up on the Spezza rumors etc.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1611896/

Quote:

Might flashy centre Jason Spezza soon follow his pal Dany Heatley's path out of Ottawa?

Senators general manager Bryan Murray today allowed that Spezza was disillusioned and disheartened after a difficult season - in which he suffered the wrath of fans - and confirmed persistent rumours the team's top centre is on the market.

Though Spezza hasn't agitated for a trade in the manner Heatley did last year, Murray said the player told him “he wouldn't object to one.”

As such, Murray has had discussions with several teams, although he's clearly not in any hurry to conclude a deal - his clear preference is to retain Spezza.

“I'm not going to make a bad trade,” he said, adding that the team still thinks highly of Spezza and that he doesn't anticipate any problems if a move couldn't be arranged and he were to have to stay in Ottawa.

Spezza's talents doubtless make him an attractive proposition to other NHL teams, but his contract might provide a stumbling block — the 27-year-old is signed through 2015 and his annual salary cap hit is $7-million.

A no-trade clause in Spezza's contract comes into effect on July 1, so it's likely that any move would happen before then, and if Murray were to get “an offer I can't refuse,” at this week's NHL draft he might be inclined to take it.

lundy 06-21-2010 12:22 PM

Get on it, Sather.

Belak Attack 06-21-2010 12:23 PM

Sens fans better hope there's another center in the deal if one goes through...

Anderson55 06-21-2010 12:25 PM

Hes doesnt want to make a bad trade? I guess he started thinking that way after the dreadful Heatley trade

Benny FTW 06-21-2010 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anderson55 (Post 26394515)
Hes doesnt want to make a bad trade? I guess he started thinking that way after the dreadful Heatley trade

Wasn't murray's fault at all, he had no choice but to do it.

SENSational Sens Fan 06-21-2010 12:27 PM

Yeah, looks like Spezza's not getting traded unless someone really steps up their offer and overpays. Maybe something like:

From Edmonton: 1st overall +
From Boston: 2nd overall +
From Florida: 3rd overall, Horton, +
From Columbus: 4th overall, Brassard, +

Analyzer 06-21-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensZilla (Post 26394546)
Yeah, looks like Spezza's not getting traded unless someone really steps up their offer and overpays. Maybe something like:

You keep thinking that.

Chrass 06-21-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anderson55 (Post 26394515)

A completely different situation. Kind of a silly thing to say.

Andy 06-21-2010 12:29 PM

His salary will limit the return.

BigEyedPhish 06-21-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koseegin (Post 26394595)
His salary will limit the return.

I don't believe so, Almost ever #1 center of Spezza's calibur is making more money than him

wubwubwubwub 06-21-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 26394569)
You keep thinking that.

Why would Murray trade someone who already said he wants to stay for a deal that doesn't benefit us? I'm sure Chris Kelly would be open to a trade, that doesn't mean we're gonna trade him. Hell, Alfie in the past has said if we want to move him he would even though he wants to stay with the Sens till he retires. Thats the same as what Spezza said. So, why would we trade Spezza for an underpayment? Are you suggesting we'd trade Alfie for an underpayment? This is a case of HFBoarders deflating someones value because he is perceived as dying to get traded

SENSational Sens Fan 06-21-2010 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Analyzer (Post 26394569)
You keep thinking that.

Spezza means a lot to the Sens and losing him would be a huge blow. As mentioned in the article, Murray's not gonna trade him unless he gets an offer he can't refuse. I'm just following up and listing some of those and you flaming me for that just shows your ignorance. :facepalm:

JohnnyOnTheSpot 06-21-2010 12:38 PM

I don't see how Spezza isn't worth a top pick+. The dude is in the top 10 in post lockout points and is one of the flashiest playmakers in the league. Also, while draft picks are valuable, they can't hold a candle to a proven elite center in the league. What if that #1 turns into Stefan? #2 into Pat Falloon? There are always variables but it's really hard to tell how a kid will translate into an NHLer. I'd take Spezza in a heartbeat were I pretty much any team in the league.

TOML 06-21-2010 12:39 PM

And the talent drain in Canada continues...

Since Bettman took over, Canada has seen it's teams lose dozens of proven stars ot US teams. (Don't kid yourselves, Canada. Spezza is moving down south.) Highlighted recently by Pronger and Heatley, of course, since they were both locked up to nice contracts at the time. Edmonton and Calgary oversaw their teams turn from powerhouses into cinderellas. Montreal lost the best goaltender of all time to a team moved to the US just when they were starting to look good. And now Ottawa is the latest Canadian team to have been pillaged of virtually all their drafted talent.

The best UFA to come up to Canada in the meantime: Alex Mogilny. Although he didn't do much in TO either. Other names: Messier (huge fail), Jason Blake (yuck), Thomas, Nieuwendyk, Allison and all those other washed-up vets that TO signed before the cap came into effect.

Most of what comes back up to Canada is used, washed-up and expensive, leaving all the young stars to play in the US in order to promote the game to the 'new fans' in the US that don't exist. It's a pattern that will continue.

Go Habs Go 06-21-2010 12:40 PM

You think something less then the 1st overall + more is an underpayment? 1st overall alone is an overpayment

MontrealHabitant 06-21-2010 12:44 PM

I'm a Habs fans and I'd gladly give 2 first, along with a good prospect ++ for Spezza, if we had the cap space.

#1 center that produce 90 ~ points (yes I know he hasn't produced as much lately) don't grow on trees.

wubwubwubwub 06-21-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go Habs Go (Post 26394774)
You think something less then the 1st overall + more is an underpayment? 1st overall alone is an overpayment

Spezza in top 5 in PPG over the past 5 years. If you think Hall will be better than any of Malkin, Crosby, or Ovechkin during his career well you're just wrong. So basically at best Hall will be 4th in PPG over a 5 year stretch during his career. Spezza has been 5th. So at worst you're looking at the difference between Thornton and Spezza offensively.

That is assuming Hall hits his utmost peak. Spezza isn't in his prime yet.

Think about this. Analyze the facts and just think about it please. I don't see how you can make much of an argument against this. Hall could be great but to say that Spezza isn't worth the possibility that Hall is slightly better than him offensively is pretty off.

pennerstheman 06-21-2010 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensZilla (Post 26394546)

You know were talking about the overpayed overated Spezza right?

SENSational Sens Fan 06-21-2010 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go Habs Go (Post 26394774)

Well that's what it's gonna take. Ottawa's better off keeping Spezza and he will only be traded if Murray gets an offer that benefits the Sens and if it's one that he can't refuse. 1st overall + would be one of those offers.

Joey Moss 06-21-2010 12:49 PM

All I can think about is this:

SpezDispenser 06-21-2010 12:49 PM

From what I've read, it would take a hell of an offer.

braindead 06-21-2010 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMapleLaughs (Post 26394757)
And the talent drain in Canada continues...

Since Bettman took over, Canada has seen it's teams lose dozens of proven stars ot US teams. (Don't kid yourselves, Canada. Spezza is moving down south.) Highlighted recently by Pronger and Heatley, of course, since they were both locked up to nice contracts at the time. Edmonton and Calgary oversaw their teams turn from powerhouses into cinderellas. Montreal lost the best goaltender of all time to a team moved to the US just when they were starting to look good. And now Ottawa is the latest Canadian team to have been pillaged of virtually all their drafted talent.

The best UFA to come up to Canada in the meantime: Alex Mogilny. Although he didn't do much in TO either. Other names: Messier (huge fail), Jason Blake (yuck), Thomas, Nieuwendyk, Allison and all those other washed-up vets that TO signed before the cap came into effect.

Most of what comes back up to Canada is used, washed-up and expensive, leaving all the young stars to play in the US in order to promote the game to the 'new fans' in the US that don't exist. It's a pattern that will continue.

Are you actually blaming Bettman for where players move? Really? Seriously?

- and now back to the news. How much is Spezza's actual salary per year (or is it the same as the cap hit)? Sorry to be lazy.

Go Habs Go 06-21-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SensZilla (Post 26394919)
Well that's what it's gonna take. Ottawa's better off keeping Spezza and he will only be traded if Murray gets an offer that benefits the Sens and if it's one that he can't refuse. 1st overall + would be one of those offers.

Trades have to benefit both teams not just you, if thats what you want, then you're not really willing to trade Spezza are you.

internetdotcom 06-21-2010 12:52 PM

If Murray doesn't get what he wants, then Spezza goes nowhere. That is all.

Ugene Malkin 06-21-2010 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sammitch (Post 26394650)
I don't believe so, Almost ever #1 center of Spezza's calibur is making more money than him

And who are they?

I think you are misguided.

Only two, they are well over paid as well