HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Speculation: The Preds' "Huge" Move (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=789613)

joshin29 06-22-2010 04:52 PM

The Preds' "Huge" Move

So I'm starting to get exited about how active Poile has been in the past week and what might be to come. Earlier today Eklund wrote "The Predators high ups met 3 hours yesterday regarding their draft and UFA's. I am told there may be a BIG surprise in store for the Preds. A player who I can't yet name. But one I would LOVE to see in Nashville." I know you can usually take whatever he says and expect the opposite to happen, but just for fun I was wondering who/what everyone thinks the " BIG surprise" could be.

Bad Karma 06-22-2010 04:58 PM

Nothing at all.

ZombPred 06-22-2010 05:02 PM

Kovy to Nashville. 2 Days later. Kovy to Russia.

JohniusMaximus 06-22-2010 05:03 PM

I dare not jinx it. Eklund saying it plus me getting my hopes up, not to mention thinking of actual players, would only lead to destruction and depression of epic proportions.

oreilly22 06-22-2010 05:05 PM

I really hope it's Marleau. I've always wanted him on the Preds. Don't forget we were very interested in Kessel last year (even by Poile's own admission), so we know that we may have had a little extra to spend even last year with Arnott and Hamhuis.

You take away Marleau, and the Sharks don't beat us the year we had Forsberg. I think Poile has gotten very excited (Lord knows I have) that the last two times we made the playoffs, with a little good luck here or there, the Preds would have beaten the teams that went on to win the cup.

Soundgarden 06-22-2010 05:09 PM

It's Eklund, we must be doing the exact opposite of whatever he says, so I'm guessing we won't sign any big names.

joshin29 06-22-2010 05:19 PM

Maybe we get Kovy and then Radulov decides he wants to come back and play with him. :sarcasm:

Paincakes 06-22-2010 05:25 PM

Lol, wasn't the meeting of "high ups" just about the draft press conference?

Also, anyone remember the Ovy to NSH rumors about 2 years ago? :laugh:

Seth Lake 06-22-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownInAHole (Post 26425961)
Lol, wasn't the meeting of "high ups" just about the draft press conference?

Also, anyone remember the Ovy to NSH rumors about 2 years ago? :laugh:

No, Poile said yesterday he had a 2 hour teleconference with his pro scouts and hockey ops people to discuss the state of the roster after the trades over the weekend and possibilities through potential trades and free agency to address holes...

They aren't done, but I can't see them adding a huge name. I'd love to be pleasantly surprised though...

Legionnaire11 06-22-2010 05:32 PM

Jeff Carter?

worstfaceoffmanever 06-22-2010 05:49 PM

Signing Hugh Jessiman to a contract extension.

I Will Son 06-22-2010 05:52 PM

Weber extension and Hornqvist and Franson signings

codeyh 06-22-2010 06:13 PM

Ellis to San Jose for rights to Marleau. :laugh:

glenngineer 06-22-2010 06:33 PM

The more I think about it, Kovy could be in the cards. I don't know why but it almost makes sense. Kovy wanted out of Atlanta and turned down huge money. I don't know that it's solely money he's after but a commitment from the team he plays for. He's got a strong defense and goalie if he comes here. He'd have quite a few good forwards to play alongside but he'd definitely be the star up front which he may or may not be wherever he signs. He'd also pretty much be assured of going to the playoffs year after year with us and he gives us the big name player we've always needed in the lineup.

If we can unload Dumont to free up some cap space and Kovy doesn't want just crazy crazy money, this might have some legs to it.

Knowing the way ownership and Poile deal with things, I doubt this happens but at the same time, I don't totally discount this at all.

There is also the Rads factor and if Kovy comes here, would it make it a more attractive place for Rads to come back to and if both things happen, then you have two lines with Russian snipers on them. We have complained we have never had a sniper and this is the chance to get one and possibly get another one back in a year.

Jarnberg 06-22-2010 07:28 PM

I appreciate Eklund coming down to give our franchise props during the Balsillie coup, but his rumors for us have been off base for a while now. Eklund may have scooped one or two of our deals early on, but the guy has been dead wrong on almost all rumors he has "heard" regarding the Predators within the past few years.

Remember when he said that Forsberg was coming back, and possibly bringing Selanne with him too? Or when we were close to getting Ovechkin?

Sorry, but I simply do not believe it. Sure, Poile had a conference call a few days ago to talk with his scouts about possible acquisitions via trade or FA; that is public knowledge.

Depending on where our internal cap is, I doubt we have alot of funds available to bring in someone after we re-sign Hornqvist, Franson, Parent, etc.

101st_fan 06-22-2010 07:50 PM

Phil Esposito ... we need a player with net presence.

codeyh 06-22-2010 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 101st_fan (Post 26429712)
Phil Esposito ... we need a player with net presence.

This. I fully support this rumor. My wife would be ecstatic, she loves listening to him on XM.

barrytrotzsneck 06-22-2010 08:25 PM

Well, if an important so-and-so like Eklund is saying it!

glenngineer 06-22-2010 10:25 PM

I know a few people have talked about trying to get Buff from Chicago but what about getting Versteeg instead? Just curious what people think about that one. I don't think this would be considered a huge move but he's a solid player with a decent cap hit.

predfan24 06-22-2010 10:35 PM

I think we have to realize Kovy is not in play. Perhaps some have forgot the mumblings during the season that he was looking for a max contract and he turned down 8.something million a year extension Atl offered. Even if we do go big Kovy is still out of range

glenngineer 06-22-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predfan24 (Post 26433078)
I think we have to realize Kovy is not in play. Perhaps some have forgot the mumblings during the season that he was looking for a max contract and he turned down 8.something million a year extension Atl offered. Even if we do go big Kovy is still out of range

He actually turned down $10 million a year from Atl for what it's worth.

I think Kovy wants a monster deal but at a certain point, how much money is enough? Is winning more important than say $10 million over the course of the deal? I'm not saying coming here will guarantee him a winner ever but coming here could be the thing that pushes us from a bottom seed in the playoffs to a contender year in and year out.

Stranger things have happened but I'm not holding my breath either.

Bad Karma 06-22-2010 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenngineer (Post 26432844)
I know a few people have talked about trying to get Buff from Chicago but what about getting Versteeg instead? Just curious what people think about that one. I don't think this would be considered a huge move but he's a solid player with a decent cap hit.

I saw Buff would take a 1st, and a prospect and an additional pick. I think.

kivaerijo 06-22-2010 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glenngineer (Post 26432844)

i have been kind of thinking this makes sense. but i also have heard rumblings of a very huge ego on the guy. not sure i want that in the locker room.

glenngineer 06-22-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kivaerijo (Post 26433413)
i have been kind of thinking this makes sense. but i also have heard rumblings of a very huge ego on the guy. not sure i want that in the locker room.

Versteeg or Buff?

Paranoid Android 06-22-2010 11:26 PM

I hate to be a party pooper, but I just do not see room in the budget for any big ticket item, unless our budget is going up by several million dollars, or if we trade one of our big guys. At most, I could see us signing a $3M free agent, and I think I'm being generous.

Once we sign Horny, Franson, Parent, and a backup netminer, we will be just under what we spent last year. Don't forget we need a little cushion for callups and a deadline deal or two.

Yeah, revenue sharing might be going up, but have any real numbers actually been confirmed?

Did we turn a profit this year? If so, how much? Usually they talk about it after the season is over, but I don't remember them doing it this year...