HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   San Jose Sharks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Speculation: Modano in SJ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=790423)

dumpnchase 06-24-2010 04:01 AM

Modano in SJ?

Since the Stars don't want him. I wouldn't mind him on SJ at the right price. He would look great in Sharks jersey. I think DW could get him to sign at a discount and he would look good as our 3rd line center. At 39 he put up 30points in 59games, he still can play.

DutchSharksfan11 06-24-2010 04:14 AM

well maybe 5 - 10 years ago i would say wow, but cmon....

Karl with a C 06-24-2010 04:15 AM

Besides his ring, he's not appealing.

Nighthock 06-24-2010 04:27 AM

Didn't we try this already? Doesn't seem to work ...

Tealblood 06-24-2010 04:34 AM

yawn, pass.

too skilled to be a checking line center, too old to break our top 6(not to mention we have 3 centers in the top 6, 4 if you put couture in there)

Graveland 06-24-2010 04:41 AM

Maybe if he signs for less that 800k and teaches couture some stuff.

:laugh:
:sarcasm:

yada 06-24-2010 04:55 AM

God i would be sick if this came true. I cant stand modano. I admit he was a good player years ago but ive never liked him.

param 06-24-2010 05:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nighthock (Post 26461793)
Didn't we try this already? Doesn't seem to work ...

You realize just because we didn't win the cup while having Roenick or Blake in our lineup, doesn't mean....they're the reasons for us not winning. Raise your hand if you think Roenick and Blake were negatives for the Sharks.

Blake at 5mil is little out of my comfort zone, but during that season he still managed to get 45 pts at the age of 39. He noticed his play drop off quite a bit this past season so he hung 'em up.

The OP says "at the right price" doesn't mean we need to sign him at what he made last year, 3.5 mil.

Tealblood 06-24-2010 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by param (Post 26461908)
You realize just because we didn't win the cup while having Roenick or Blake in our lineup, doesn't mean....they're the reasons for us not winning. Raise your hand if you think Roenick and Blake were negatives for the Sharks.

Blake at 5mil is little out of my comfort zone, but during that season he still managed to get 45 pts at the age of 39. He noticed his play drop off quite a bit this past season so he hung 'em up.

The OP says "at the right price" doesn't mean we need to sign him at what he made last year, 3.5 mil.

I agree that that person's reasoning isn't correct.

But I disagree that there is a right price for modano on this team. At 40 he's still got skills, but 3rd liners have to be able to check. If we want him on the 2nd line wing instead of someone like clowe, I still don't see that being any sort of upgrade.

I'm betting on modano retiring, and this being a huge HOF retirement year. Roenick, niedermayer, tkachuk,blake who else? there needs to be a list somewhere around here...

(Randomly realized both roenick and tkachuk are cup-less Americans who both still had amazing careers...goes to show how tough it is to win a cup. Yet niedermayer has like 4. )

68 Z-28 06-24-2010 08:34 AM

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=189

ChompChomp 06-24-2010 10:00 AM

I also mentioned Modano yesterday in my cap geek set up. Reasons it makes sense:

1.) He still wants to play, presumably for a Stanley Cup.

2.) He doesn't need money and could take a Roenick-like 1 year deal.

3.) Big difference playing SJ 4th line vs. Dallas 3rd line, i.e. chances at the Cup now.

4.) He has ALWAYS said he loves to play in San Jose and feels comfortable here.

5.) Even though he would be a bottom 6 forward here, he's a great guy for spot time on the top 6 as needed and would get second unit PP time.

6.) He would center the 4th energy line. McGinn-Modano-Nichol/Ortmeyer/etc. Very intriguing, especially come playoff time.

7.) He's got the Roenick-like heart and grit. Supposedly good locker room guy.

Clowe-Thornton-Mitchell
Marleau-Malhotra-Pavelski
Heatley-Couture-Seto
McGinn-Modano-Nichol/Ortmeyer

Hellz yeah I'll take that top 12 in a heartbeat with those sick line combos.

HOOCH2173 06-24-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChompChomp (Post 26464257)
4.) He has ALWAYS said he loves to play in San Jose and feels comfortable here.

Um yeah cause he can score on San Jose Players. DUH! reverse it and me thinks not so much.

SonomaShark 06-24-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChompChomp (Post 26464257)
7.) He's got the Roenick-like heart and grit. Supposedly good locker room guy.

Clowe-Thornton-Mitchell
Marleau-Malhotra-Pavelski
Heatley-Couture-Seto
McGinn-Modano-Nichol/Ortmeyer

Hellz yeah I'll take that top 12 in a heartbeat with those sick line combos.

Don't forget that 7 out of 12 of those forwards are actually centermen! Continued faceoff domination.

VP and GM 06-24-2010 10:18 AM

id take him only if we can't get a younger 40-50 point forward, and then id's have to play for 2-3M as we just don't have cap space.

ChompChomp 06-24-2010 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HOOCH2173 (Post 26464484)
Um yeah cause he can score on San Jose Players. DUH! reverse it and me thinks not so much.

That's not what I meant. I've read articles over the years about how he loves it here, and I don't mean the ice. I mean the atmosphere, the area, restaurants, etc.

TheSlapper 06-24-2010 11:44 AM

If Modano wants to play in San Jose, you let the man play in San Jose!

CupfortheSharks 06-24-2010 12:05 PM

I don't think he's the right fit. We need a bottom six that plays physical mixed with some speed. If we are going to go after an older guy for our bottom 6, I'd prefer someone like Nolan who brings some edge to the game.

MadmanSJ 06-24-2010 12:29 PM

I would involve Clowe in a deal for a top-4 d-man and sign Modano on the cheap to play the second line in a heartbeat.

FreeVille 06-24-2010 12:33 PM

Something I'v noticed about Modano: he scores the ugliest, stupidest, just dumb goals...playoff hockey goals. If we sign him like we did Roenick, all I see is another leader in the locker room, someone to mentor Couture, Guch, Pavelski (some compare Pavs to him already) and a capable goal scorer on the 4th line.

<1.5 mil I do it.

Hated him in Dallas, but wouldnt mind seeing him in teal.

hockeyball 06-24-2010 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolalas (Post 26468369)
Something I'v noticed about Modano: he scores the ugliest, stupidest, just dumb goals...playoff hockey goals. If we sign him like we did Roenick, all I see is another leader in the locker room, someone to mentor Couture, Guch, Pavelski (some compare Pavs to him already) and a capable goal scorer on the 4th line.

<1.5 mil I do it.

I may be wrong on this, but I remember hearing at some point that Modano is not a mentor, and does not care or enjoy doing so.

renodave 06-24-2010 12:57 PM

Modano would be a perfect fit for this team. He still has great skill and speed and could play on any of the 4 lines - highly versatile. Was mis-used a lot in Dallas over the past several years. I still think he's capable of putting up 25+ goals and being a force on the PP.

SharksAddict 06-24-2010 01:26 PM

No thanks, we need wingers more than centers. Would much rather bring Nolan back than Modano.

dumpnchase 06-24-2010 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 Z-28 (Post 26462929)

Didn't see that.

I can't believe the number of people who dislike Modano on here. So what if he's 40 years old, he still has game left in the tank. He played 3 less games than Torrey Mitchell and put up 19 points, including 12 more goals. Age doesn't matter if he comes in sub-million dollar and can do what he did for Dallas last year.

dumpnchase 06-24-2010 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadmanSJ (Post 26468236)
I would involve Clowe in a deal for a top-4 d-man and sign Modano on the cheap to play the second line in a heartbeat.

We can get a top-4 d-man without trading Clowe, there is a surplus this of UFAs this year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolalas (Post 26468369)

<1.5 mil I do it.

Ugly playoff goals, exactly what we need more of.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyball (Post 26468942)
I may be wrong on this, but I remember hearing at some point that Modano is not a mentor, and does not care or enjoy doing so.

It had to do with his displeasure of being stripped of the 'C' and given to Morrow. Although Modano tried to be gentlemanly about it he didn't like that. Getting pissed off at losing the 'C', to me that shows passion.

Tealblood 06-24-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharksAddict (Post 26469876)
No thanks, we need wingers more than centers. Would much rather bring Nolan back than Modano.

+1 nolan>modano for this team at least. Much better fit even if nolan battles injuries.