HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Making the cut? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=79122)

Brisebois 05-20-2004 04:02 PM

Making the cut? Should I do it or not? (and no circumcision jokes, please)

Someone posted a link to makingthecut.ca, a hockey reality TV show and a chance to show off your skills in front of NHL scouts. Ever since that post I have been completely torn apart (seriously). My entire life I have always dreamed of playing for a professional (even if its not NHL) hockey team, but being a Hasidic Jew I never got the chance. I play defense and the guys at the park say I'm pretty good and should try out for the team and I understand that making the cut might be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for me.

Now here's the situation. First of all, I'm not too confident of my skills myself as most of the praise came while playing roller-hockey and I'm not really the best skater out there. I understand that there will probably be AHL or even NHL calibre players on the ice and I really don't want to look like a dumb@ss, especially in public. I also don't have the 55 dollars needed (though that isn't really such a big problem) and (here's the real problem) the only equipment I have is a pair of unsharpened skates, gloves, shin-guards and a helmet. I don't have money to buy more equipment and I don't know anyone here in Ottawa whom I can borrow hockey equipment from.

So as you can see I am in a dilemma. I'm fairly young (21 years old) not the most physically fit though, and figure that even if I totally suck, perhaps I'll meet someone willing to train me, or maybe someone will think I'm good enough to play on their team or something. I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. (Note: even if I were good enough to play for a team, my religious duties (In one more year I will have my full Rabbinical ordination) might be a problem... playing on the Sabbath... kosher food... circumcising opposing players mid-play;), etc.

I wrote a list of the pros and cons already. Here they are.

PROS

Get seen by scouts
Could get offered to be trained/play for team
Will find out my skill level and if I can compete against AHL-calibre players
May be skating on the same ice as future stars

CONS

Even if I make it through I leave to Ukraine for the summer a few days later
Make a fool of myself in public
55$
Had plans to spend those days at a friends house in upstate New York
No equipment
Have nowhere to stay in Ottawa for those days and nop way to get to the Corel Centre
Religious observances may be a hindrance
I don't think my parents would be too excited about it

What do you guys think? should I do it or not?

Hmmm... mayube I should get Lafleur to train me or something. :D

not quite yoda 05-20-2004 04:43 PM

Since you are already considering this, the "make a fool out of myself" con shouldn't be an issue. You seem to be confident enough in your skills. Based on other reality shows I have seen, I am sure that there will be some dummies who litterally can t skate who will still blindly try out. They will be the laughing stocks, not you. Conclusion: don't be afraid of looking bad, there will be worst than you.

Other than that, I don't know about what you should do. Weighing the pros vs the cons isn't always the right route to go. Just do what your gut tells you: do you want to do this or not? If yes, then find the damn equipment at whatever price as this is your dream.

As for the leaving for Ukraine con... if you get picked up and are asked to train in the summer... you better do it. If you think that even if you are picked up, you will ditch everything for Ukraine... then you really don't want it bad enough, sorry.

As for the kosher stuff, don't let that be an issue. You'll deal witha problem if and when it comes up. That's just detail. Just follow your heart.

:jump:

Brisebois 05-20-2004 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espion
Since you are already considering this, the "make a fool out of myself" con shouldn't be an issue. You seem to be confident enough in your skills. Based on other reality shows I have seen, I am sure that there will be some dummies who litterally can t skate who will still blindly try out. They will be the laughing stocks, not you. Conclusion: don't be afraid of looking bad, there will be worst than you.

Other than that, I don't know about what you should do. Weighing the pros vs the cons isn't always the right route to go. Just do what your gut tells you: do you want to do this or not? If yes, then find the damn equipment at whatever price as this is your dream.

As for the leaving for Ukraine con... if you get picked up and are asked to train in the summer... you better do it. If you think that even if you are picked up, you will ditch everything for Ukraine... then you really don't want it bad enough, sorry.

As for the kosher stuff, don't let that be an issue. You'll deal witha problem if and when it comes up. That's just detail. Just follow your heart.

Good point and thank you for the advice.

As for the reality shows, and seeing people who literally couldn't skate, the skill level of my skating is such where I can stop perfectly on my right side, but have troubles stopping on my left leg. Do you mean to say that some people will be at a lower level than I am? If so, then I sould feel confident stepping on the ice.

Having seen some reality TV shows, what do you think they would do? what sort of tests do you think I might have to undergo? I think I'm going to do this.

Man, I'm getting excited already. So excited I wont even put a Lafleur comment on the bottom.

not quite yoda 05-20-2004 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisebois
Good point and thank you for the advice.

As for the reality shows, and seeing people who literally couldn't skate, the skill level of my skating is such where I can stop perfectly on my right side, but have troubles stopping on my left leg. Do you mean to say that some people will be at a lower level than I am? If so, then I sould feel confident stepping on the ice.

Having seen some reality TV shows, what do you think they would do? what sort of tests do you think I might have to undergo? I think I'm going to do this.

Man, I'm getting excited already. So excited I wont even put a Lafleur comment on the bottom.

Dude, just don't care about looking stupid. There will be people totally unable to play who will try out. Watch the early American Idol shows of each season... people who can't sing AT ALL think "hey this is my ticket to fame. I will become a millionaire. Let's give it a shot and maybe I have talent although I have never sung a note in my life". And they will go, and step on ice for the 1st time in their lives (as all they've done is watch hockey on t.v. in their life) and they will fall flat on their faces. But they'll be like: "it's ok I have determinaton. I can make it!".

So the show is going to start with the "trainers" (or whoever) figuring out who is totally pathetic. It will be a super simple traditional hockey drill or something. Like stickhandling through cones or something. Alot of people will get eliminated early but that's normal as "the trainers" can only keep an eye on so many people at camp.

And the rest of it will be like the WWE series "tough enough", except it will be hockey. Pros or ex-coaches or whoever are going to put you through a million of drills that they do in the pros. Show you some tricks and strategies. And there probably will some scrimmages I imagine.

--oh and about "my parents are pessimists" con: it s your life breezy, not theirs.

Brisebois 05-20-2004 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espion
Dude, just don't care about looking stupid. There will be people totally unable to play who will try out. Watch the early American Idol shows of each season... people who can't sing AT ALL think "hey this is my ticket to fame. I will become a millionaire. Let's give it a shot and maybe I have talent although I have never sung a note in my life". And they will go, and step on ice for the 1st time in their lives (as all they've done is watch hockey on t.v. in their life) and they will fall flat on their faces. But they'll be like: "it's ok I have determinaton. I can make it!".

So the show is going to start with the "trainers" (or whoever) figuring out who is totally pathetic. It will be a super simple traditional hockey drill or something. Like stickhandling through cones or something. Alot of people will get eliminated early but that's normal as "the trainers" can only keep an eye on so many people at camp.

And the rest of it will be like the WWE series "tough enough", except it will be hockey. Pros or ex-coaches or whoever are going to put you through a million of drills that they do in the pros. Show you some tricks and strategies. And there probably will some scrimmages I imagine.

--oh and about "my parents are pessimists" con: it s your life breezy, not theirs.

Thanks for the advice espion :yo:

I think I'm going to do it regardless. I'll let everyone know how it went G-d willing.

EaGLE1 05-20-2004 05:21 PM

If I would train every day to be better at playing hockey, a game I love, i'm sure i could be a damn good player. I'm already skilled but I quit playing organized hockey 3 years ago.

Seing Pierre Dagenais in Bell Centre makes me think I could play too :lol:

The biggest problem for me is that i'm only 5''8 and 160 pounds! :hockey:

Where are we going to be evaluated?
New York? :snide:

mcphee 05-20-2004 05:24 PM

Brisebois, you obviously have the nerve to 'put yourself out there', so why not. If eqmt. is a real problem,list what you need and if no posters come forward with the loan of anything, I'm sure between us all we can ask around and beg,borrow and steal. How you do is irrelevant,if you want to do it, give it a shot.

Brisebois 05-20-2004 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee
Brisebois, you obviously have the nerve to 'put yourself out there', so why not. If eqmt. is a real problem,list what you need and if no posters come forward with the loan of anything, I'm sure between us all we can ask around and beg,borrow and steal. How you do is irrelevant,if you want to do it, give it a shot.

I have just watched the 40 minutes presentation on makingthecut website and I'm getting more and more pumped about this.

From what they seem to be saying it looks the talent level will range from beginner to AHL. Hmmm, you guys seem to be boosting my confidence. They also say that regardless of whether you are one of the 68 selected, you will be seen by scouts.

Thanks guys for all the support. If anyone in the Ottawa area DOES have equipment (I'm 6'0 and weigh 170), PM me. If I can't buy my own equipment by then, I will have to borrow from somebody.

chicpea* 05-20-2004 06:18 PM

Brisebois, Go For It! We're all behind you 100%. I thought of doing it myself (goalie) but I'm too old now. I'll live through you. :)

Brisson11 05-20-2004 06:32 PM

Hey listen Brisebois, I know by now your probably half decided about going to Making the cut but I'll give my advice anyways. You have nothing to lose here!!! Seize the day!! When do you ever see something like this come around man? Go for it.

You won't grow in life unless you get out of your comfort zone, and yes I know being in your own comfort zone may feel good but your not experiencing or learning anything by not trying. I would be signed up in a second if I was 2 years older but I'll have to wait, this experience would be one of a kind. Don't give up and keep being determined! Good luck and I'm rooting for ya!

KILLger 05-20-2004 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EaGLE1
If I would train every day to be better at playing hockey, a game I love, i'm sure i could be a damn good player. I'm already skilled but I quit playing organized hockey 3 years ago.

Seing Pierre Dagenais in Bell Centre makes me think I could play too :lol:

The biggest problem for me is that i'm only 5''8 and 160 pounds! :hockey:

Where are we going to be evaluated?
New York? :snide:

What's the big deal? I'm 6' and 150. I make Ribeiro look fat! :innocent:

EaGLE1 05-20-2004 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLger
What's the big deal? I'm 6' and 150. I make Ribeiro look fat! :innocent:

OH! :blush:

I'm 22, i guess it's never too late :hockey:
I have a very good equipment & stuff but it's been 3 years since i last played a game indoor! My style is midway between Roenick & St-Louis. I play with grit and heart and i do everything for my hockey club (Roenick) but i'm more like St-Louis, i'm very fast and i turn on a dime (main strenght), and i have descent hands. I've play centre all my life. I'm 100% sure i am faster than Dagenais + Ribeiro.

I'm like Brisebois, i don't want to be ambarassed. I'm far from being AHL level. I'm not even Midget AAA level :eek:

I think that Le repÍchage or Making the cut, or whatever you called it is very interresting for us, hockey fan & ex-player!! I was sure somebody was going to start a thread about that, i'm not surprised.

Beakermania* 05-21-2004 06:12 AM

Brisebois I strongly encourage you to do this. If you don't you will always look back on this in your future, and you will never know for sure if you could have made it. At least this way you will know for sure if your dream can come true.

One thing you have to do though. NO matter what give 100% every time you step on the ice.

Jo 05-21-2004 06:47 AM

Man you have to do it, I register myself for this, but my doc told me not too cause my knee are problematic.. So come on, do it for one reason: If you DO NOT MAKE IT, you will always ask yourself, what could've done there?

And you will regret to not try it. So good luck, and maybe I will ignore the doc advice and try it myself :)

Gros Bill 05-21-2004 07:28 AM

Go for it, Brisebois. You'll live an unforgettable experience and that is worth a lot. Like McPhee said, if you need $$ or equipment, we'll find a way - you have a lot of buddies here at HF. You'll be our "mascot", in a way, and we can all live the experience vicariously (rabbiously, in your case) thru you.

Go for it and good luck, Mr. Pee Pee Head.

Carbo N8 05-21-2004 07:50 AM

I'm almost embarrassed to say this, but, think William Hung (I think that's his name). This guy can't sing, has no rythym, has absolutely no talent, get's booted from American Idol, but somehow lands a recording contract & has a CD & video out. Anything can happen in this crazy world.

If nothing else you can say I did it, I tried. Then go & give it your best. You can't fail, you may just not succeed as much as you would hope to. I wish I could do it, but, I'm waiting for the "TV Remote" Olympics.

As far as your commitments to other things, life is better when you give yourself more options.

Go for it & give 'em hell!

Blind Gardien 05-21-2004 08:36 AM

Go for it Breezy!

At the very least, you should get some great photos to show off for the rest of your life (and use as a new avatar!) and you can tell us even more fabulous stories. Take the Taconite Cup once around the rink for all of us. (And the best part is, hopefully you can make everybody forget my cowardly Ribeiro-like mysterious "upper body injury" stunt in the process! ;) )

But seriously, there will probably be people who are absolutely clueless skaters, people who have never been on the ice before in their lives trying out. You won't look bad compared to some. Of course, the *real* players will blow everybody away, and they'll be the ones making the final 68 cut, but it should be lots of fun for everybody else all the same.

My advice: drop the gloves every chance you get. That was going to be my plan. You have to do whatever it takes to get noticed. So if there's *anybody* on the ice near you at any time in the initial drills... drill instructors, zamboni drivers, heck, even stage a fight with one of the pylons if you have to, you gotta take on all comers and get attention. During the warmup laps just keep throwing yourself against the glass with reckless abandon, stir it up.
:yo:

Mooch 05-21-2004 08:44 AM

I suggest you practice your circumcising Peepeehead, before anything else, because as you may not know, this is what will take you too the next level my friend............ :D

Gros Bill 05-21-2004 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien

My advice: drop the gloves every chance you get. That was going to be my plan. You have to do whatever it takes to get noticed. So if there's *anybody* on the ice near you at any time in the initial drills... drill instructors, zamboni drivers, heck, even stage a fight with one of the pylons if you have to, you gotta take on all comers and get attention. During the warmup laps just keep throwing yourself against the glass with reckless abandon, stir it up.
:yo:

:lol Good one. Just try to look like a real good sport about, tho. You know, as you're about to sucker punch the guy, keep a smile on your face and say things like "Hey, take it easy", "Cool down", "It's only a game, man", and then Wham! forearm to the head.

I'm getting excited myself about this, Brisebois, it would be cool if you tried out.

Brisebois 05-21-2004 02:22 PM

Gee, I'm surprised at the overwhelming support here, and thank everyone for all the tips, as I have just bought some brass knuckles. I'm gonna show these AHL players how to fight if I die trying!

I had it out with my family, and SURPRISE! they actually support the idea as well (except for my Dad, but a well-placed cross-check made him quickly change his mind), so it looks like I'll be going.

I'm wondering if there's anyone else going from the Montreal Canadiens board. Maybe we can meet at the arena and s/he can demonstrate how to put on the equipment (believe it or not, I never had full gear, and may have some problems getting into them).

If I don't make it into the final 68, then my briss-knife will be 'making the cut', I assure you.

mcphee 05-21-2004 02:49 PM

Brisebois if you need to pound somebody to turn a few heads, I'll volunteer. I can walk by and say something smart ass [easy for me] and you can pull my T shirt over my head and whale away. It's ok,I can take a punch, what's one more concussion ?

Brisson11 05-21-2004 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcphee
Brisebois if you need to pound somebody to turn a few heads, I'll volunteer. I can walk by and say something smart ass [easy for me] and you can pull my T shirt over my head and whale away. It's ok,I can take a punch, what's one more concussion ?

Now thats a true friend *sniff*

I'm very glad that your parents are OK with this and enjoy this chance here OK?

Brisebois 05-25-2004 12:17 PM

Just received the confirmation email. I'm trying out in the Corel Centre on 15th of June at 1:00 to 1:50.

Gros Bill 05-25-2004 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brisebois
Just received the confirmation email. I'm trying out in the Corel Centre on 15th of June at 1:00 to 1:50.

Cool, go get 'em, PeePeeHead.

PS, if you need any help pounding on McPhee, I'll be glad to lend you a hand, I could make it look very realistic.

Guriken 05-25-2004 12:45 PM

I wish you good luck Brisebois and other people who will be trying. I wish i had the hockey equipment and the transport to go there and try. It would be pretty exciting... Anyway do your best and have fun!