HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Prospect Info: Joey Hishon??!!? Who the heck is that?!?! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=791521)

R S 06-26-2010 08:15 AM

Joey Hishon??!!? Who the heck is that?!?!

Like many of you, I'm sure, I was wondering why the Avs chose Joey Hishon....I mean Joey Hishon? Really?

With guys like Etem, Watson, Bjugstad, Pysyk and many more left on the board, the choice was more than surprising. The Avs were the first team to really go "off the board" with their selection.

So, just who the heck is Joey Hishon?

Hishon is a 5'10 center who plays for the Owen Sound Attack of the Ontario Hockey League. He was born and raised in Stratford, Ontario, Canada. He is left handed and weighs around 170 pounds. He battled injuries this past season and saw his draft ranking fall, after being considered a top ten choice before the season began.

I was shocked and confused by the pick. I wanted Jack Campbell, and after that, Emerson Etem was my man, so this one stung. I was first shocked, then angry, but after doing some reading and research on him, I am coming around. I follow the draft and prospects closer than most people on here, but even Hishon was not on my radar for the Avs.

But anyways, here are the pro's and con's of the pick and Hishon as a player. Let's start with the bad....

Con's

1. Reach? - Was it a reach? At first glace, yes it was. But after doing some more thinking and analyzing I will say "maybe". Did they go against convetion? Yes. But, they got their guy and that is the biggest thing to realize. Rankings be damned, the Avs see something in Hishon and got him. If the 2010 draft has shown us anything already, it's that rankings don't mean anything. All along I have said that spots 3-15+ are up for grabs. After the drop off of number 2, anything could happen. The first round showed us that, and then some. I mean who expected Johansen at 4? Or McIlrath at 10? Or Schwartz at 14? The Avs weren't the only team to have a different ranking system. But, time will tell as to whether or not that ranking system was correct to go against the norm.

2. Injuries - This is something that scares me more than anything. This is a guy who missed over half the season this year due to injuries. Serious injuries too. He has battled through a sprained MCL, a broken foot and a double groin pull. Does that not scare anyone else? Injuries to bones I can deal with....injuries to muscles and tendons are a different story. He claims to be healthy now, but time will tell if this kid, who is undersized (more on that later), will be able to stay in the lineup more in the future.

3. Size - Let's face it, he's not the biggest guy out there. This draft has several similar players, smaller guys who have high end skills. Schwartz, Granlund, Skinner, Weal...they all fit into this category. They all bring something to the table despite the diminutive stature. I've never been a guy to be "scared" of a smaller player, but this has me a bit concerned. If the playoffs showed us anything this year, its that we weren't big, strong and physical enough up front to make the journey deep into the playoffs. Sure, we were banged up, but the players out of the lineup weren't exactly physical or big players.

Hishon is small. 5'10, or maybe less depending on the source, and only around 170 pounds. There is still the chance he will grow another inch or two, but that's doubtful. One thing is for sure though, he will need to put on atleast 20 pounds of muscle to play and be durable at the next level. Hit the weight room kid.

4. Position - This is overblown on HF. Yes, he's a center. Big deal. I know we have a ton of centers, and look to be set in that area, but to me, Hishon's game can be played as a winger. I like big, strong centers, and he doesn't fit in. I like him as a winger. He is a playmaker with good hockey sense, who can finish. Who does that sound like? Andrew Brunette. Brunnette is a winger. Hishon could definitely be a top 6 player on the wing, if the Avs want him to be.

Pro's

1. High end skill - There is no doubt that the kid is highly skilled. When in the lineup, he has posted fantastic numbers. As a 17 year old (08-09) he was well over a point per game with 37 goals, 44 assists for 81 points in only 65 games. An impressive feat. Heck, the year before that he was near a point per game as a 16 year old.

Despite his injuries this year, when he was playing, he was putting up numbers. 40 points in 36 games, playing on one of the worst teams in the OHL. Watching him play, he is aggressive, and goes hard to the net and has touch when in close. In 2008-09, he was named as the best playmaker and stickhandler in the OHL's Western conference. That would have been against some stiff competition including Seguin, Hall, Duchene and even Tavares. So, the skill level is there.

2. Compete Level - The first thing I ever heard about this kid was his level of effort, to go along with his smaller size. He doesn't give up. He is an energy player, who just happens to have great hands. That's what I love most about this pick. He is a character player, who brings effort at all times, and wants to be the best player he can be.

The hockey news scouting report calls him a "water bug" and a player who is not afraid to get his nose dirty. Grit, something teams can't have enough of. Reports say he doesn't have the size, but his effort level evens that playing field. This year he even scored a shorthanded goal with a broken foot, if that doesn't impress you, I don't know what will.

3. Complete Player - He isn't yet. But he wants to be. He models his game after friend Ryan O'Reilly, and Detroit's Henrik Zetterberg, as he mentions here : http://www.hockeyprospect.com/index....ews&Itemid=102
He wants to get better in all 3 zones and as mentioned before, reach his untapped potential. These are players I love to see the Avs get, guys who love the game and want to be winners. Modelling your game after Zetterberg is a great sign, as he is one of the best two way players in the entire world, regardless or not of him being a Wing. He is also coached by a mostly defensive coach, and that will help him round out his game even more.

4. Friendship with O'Reilly - This is a cool tie to this whole story. I'm sure it helped Hishon's cause, but wasn't the only reason why they took him by any means. The two were teammates at the under 18's, and Hishon and him are buddies. As I mentioned, Hishon likes Ryan's game and models himself after him. Hell, he even looks like Ryan O'Reilly physically. It's a cool wrinkle and the two could even be linemates down the road. Hishon is more of a 2nd line skilled player, with O'Reilly as a checking center, but who knows, Hishon could become solely an energy guy if his hands down translate down the road.

5. Previous Rankings - This kid used to be hyped a ton. Before this season, after his great 17 year old year, he was ranked in the top 10 by several publications, even as high as 7th. The only thing that changed that was his health, not his game. Do the injuries scare people? Of course. But did he get passed by people based on skill alone? Not likely. You could consider this pick a sleeper in that sense. A great player that has top 10 skill, that some teams might have been scared of. The Avs saw their man and got him, and that's why you can say this was only "maybe" a reach. Who knows what other teams had him ranked in their top tens.

6. Trusting our staff - Let's face it, since the new staff took over last spring, they haven't made too many mistakes. We had the best draft of any team last year...yes, a bold (but true) statement. Sacco led us to the playoffs. Anderson was a steal. Everything this organization has done in the last year has been good if not great, except the ugly third jerseys. That's why we simply have to trust this staff. Rick Pracey and the scouting staff have done their homework and obviously had great reasons to draft Hishon. Is he the sexy pick? Hell no. Is he a bit of a gamble? Hell yes. But with the way we have hit home runs recently, I like the cajones of the brass on this risk.

Wrap-up

As far as his future, I think best case scenario he turns into an Andrew Brunette player, with more foot speed. He will kill penalties and battle whenever he is on the ice. Smart players like him also have the ability to learn knew positions, so that means he will be an option on the wing, or as a center if we need it.
Worst case scenario, as with anyone, is a total flop and never making the NHL. But after investigating this further, I don't think that will be the case.

I will leave you with a quote from the hockey news scouting report.
Quote:

"There's a ton of these guys and they're all good", a scout said of this year's draft crop. "You question their size, but they're all good players with skills. One of them is going to turn into a Mike Richards or Daniel Briere".
I'm really starting to come around on this pick.

Bubba Thudd 06-26-2010 08:27 AM

The things being said about him sound eerily like the things that were said about Svatos.

I hope he doesn't prove as fragile as Svatos, and recovers from his injuries without damaging his psyche.

I'm warming up to him, but am still wary.

zingbo2133 06-26-2010 08:28 AM

i was pretty upset at first to and then i started reading stuff on him and it doesnt seem as bad after that. hopefully he wont have to many more injuries

R S 06-26-2010 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd (Post 26529270)
The things being said about him sound eerily like the things that were said about Svatos.

I hope he doesn't prove as fragile as Svatos, and recovers from his injuries without damaging his psyche.

To be fair, I don't Svatos was anywhere near as talented as Hishon is, and was not as good in all zones.

I mean, at worst Hishon was a 2nd rounder, Svatos was taken in the 7th round....221st overall.

I don't think it's fair to compare the two.

madman 06-26-2010 09:05 AM

Nice write-up. I still don't like the value at 17, and feel like this is a bit of a stubborn move by clearly targeting and falling in love with a guy. That's fine, but it's silly to not drop back a bit from a good spot at 17 and accumulate some more picks. Then again, maybe they tried and just didn't have any takers. The injuries are what scare me with this kid... Any merit to him needing MCL surgery? Anyways, for what it's worth, Kevin Allen of USA Today had Hishon going to Montreal at 26 in his final mock yesterday.

R S 06-26-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madman (Post 26529731)
Nice write-up. I still don't like the value at 17, and feel like this is a bit of a stubborn move by clearly targeting and falling in love with a guy. That's fine, but it's silly to not drop back a bit from a good spot at 17 and accumulate some more picks. Then again, maybe they tried and just didn't have any takers. The injuries are what scare me with this kid... Any merit to him needing MCL surgery? Anyways, for what it's worth, Kevin Allen of USA Today had Hishon going to Montreal at 26 in his final mock yesterday.

Thanks.

I agree that it is a bit of a stubborn move in that sense. I think there was probably wiggle room of 5 or so picks, but as I said before, that first round showed us that anyone could've gone anywhere, and I guess the staff thought it was best just to take some heat and get the guy they wanted.

Bender 06-26-2010 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd (Post 26529270)

Actually, he's not really close to being the same type of player as Svatos at all.

Svatos, at his best was fast and shifty with a good eye for scoring timely goals but was always a 'perimeter player'. The year of the lockout, he had trouble in the AHL and didn't even want to be there. This is the kind of character flaw that the Avs and their scouting staff are trying to eliminate from drafting as much as possible.

This Hishon kid is small but from all accounts, he's not afraid to get his nose dirty and even stir things up a bit. He gives it his all every shift and has a more complete skill-set than Svatos.

Hermit Wizard Eater 06-26-2010 09:53 AM

He also finished as the top scorer for his team at the Under 18s and was voted best playmaker in his conference ahead of Tavares, as well as best stickhandler in his conference above Kadri (while not even being draft eligible when they were).

That 87 point year also placed him top 10 in scoring in the OHL (counting all the overagers, 19 year olds, and draft eligible players like Tavares, etc), and his next closest teammate had 56 points... This was all done while not even being in his draft eligible year.

Look at this way too.. He had 1 less goal, and 9 less points than Taylor Hall while only playing 2 more games on a MUCH weaker team. Hall's team had 7 guys that scored 60+ points. Hishon's team's next highest scorer had 56 points.

SoundwaveIsCharisma 06-26-2010 11:24 AM

I think the big question is if his injuries this year were due to bad luck and him trying to come back too soon from injuries. Hopefully he is fully healthy and that one year was just an asterisk on his career in terms of injuries.

I have no doubt that if he is healthy he's one of the more skilled players in the CHL, and he'll have a really good chance to prove that next year.

Christian Litscher 06-26-2010 12:36 PM

He outscored Duchene in the 08 09 season 81 points to 79 points but played in 8 more games.

Besides Hall, I believe Hishon and Ryan Martindale were the only other players to play in 3 complete OHL seasons.

I was hoping for Forbort but i like the pick.

NHL comparable I heard was Bryan Little so if he can follow his path we will have a great player.

AVSfan2daMAX 06-26-2010 01:23 PM

I give the avs the benefit of the doubt. Their recent drafting has been very good.
If he's the guy, then I don't care so much about trading down to get him.
You just have to take who you feel is the best player available. I also suspect that Colorado couldn't trade down to a position where they felt he'd still be available. While a surprising pick, I'm not one bit upset about it.

Chileiceman 06-26-2010 01:26 PM

I had heard a lot about Hishon before this season, so I was surprised to find him ranked so low.
It's a gamble, yes. But if he can totally recover then I have no problem with the pick. He's top 10 in terms of skill.

NWAvsFan 06-26-2010 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AVSfan2daMAX (Post 26537848)
I give the avs the benefit of the doubt. Their recent drafting has been very good.
If he's the guy, then I don't care so much about trading down to get him.
You just have to take who you feel is the best player available. I also suspect that Colorado couldn't trade down to a position where they felt he'd still be available. While a surprising pick, I'm not one bit upset about it.

Yeah, given the Avs got Pickard in the second this is shaping up to be a good draft.

Hasbro 06-26-2010 01:50 PM

****ing magnets. how do they work?

Bubba Thudd 06-26-2010 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hasbro (Post 26539871)
****ing magnets. how do they work?

what?

StanGetz* 06-26-2010 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd (Post 26540570)
what?

It's an internet meme, for little kids.

Bonzai12 06-26-2010 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chileiceman (Post 26538070)
I had heard a lot about Hishon before this season, so I was surprised to find him ranked so low.
It's a gamble, yes. But if he can totally recover then I have no problem with the pick. He's top 10 in terms of skill.

I'm not a huge fan of the pick, but I'm not really totally against it either....50/50 pretty much on it.

The kid has undeniable skill, but my only problem is that he will have to recover 100% to meet where he was drafted at. I think we could have gotten him in the second round.

I would have been ecstatic if we had gotten both Hishon and Watson.

Freudian 06-26-2010 03:05 PM

He broke the bone blocking a shot. I have no problem with that. The injured MCL is bad but then again I am a dinosaur and they have gotten much better at treating all knee injuries. It is not as serious as it used to be.

Ultimately if our staff thinks he is built from the right stuff, I'll trust them and won't whine about him for the next four years.

avs1986 06-26-2010 03:35 PM

This makes me very happy...
"Perhaps a better way to judge his potential would be to look at his stellar 2008-09 campaign with Owen Sound, during which he led the Attack in goals (37), assists (44) and points (81). He also received some recognition from the league’s bench bosses, as he was voted the “Best Playmaker” and “Best Stickhandler” in the OHL’s Western Conference Coaches Poll.

And the players he beat out for those awards were no slouches either.

In the “Best Playmaker” category, Hishon (31) more than doubled the votes received by both O’Reilly (13) and John Tavares (13), who ended up being the No. 1 overall selection at the 2009 NHL Entry Draft. To earn “Best Stickhandler” recognition, Hishon had to beat out the No. 7 overall pick in 2009, Toronto Maple Leafs’ prospect Nazem Kadri.

Add in the fact that he was Team Canada’s leading scorer at the 2009 IIHF World Under-18 Championship and there’s little doubt that Hishon is a big-game player."

I was at the first round, and i was initially shocked at this pick,even angry (i also had plenty of alcoholic beverages in me),but i guess i hadn't done my homework. AND we get Pickard today...all is well in Avs land again:)

Granlund2Pulkkinen* 06-26-2010 04:14 PM

I don't care anymore... He's an Av now guys so we all have to support him!

Starrlinx 06-26-2010 05:22 PM

Now that I've had a day to digest and read up the Hishon pick I feel a little better about it. I would've preferred Etem but I trust our scouts. I still say it was horrible asset management by not trading down but perhaps they felt another team was going to take him.

Hopefully he becomes a great player :nod:

Alex Jones 06-26-2010 08:29 PM

Still should have traded down for him. I doubt anyone else was really intrested in picking him first round.

R S 06-26-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jailbait (Post 26551898)
Still should have traded down for him. I doubt anyone else was really intrested in picking him first round.

Ignorance? :nod:

Alex Jones 06-26-2010 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings (Post 26552024)
Ignorance? :nod:

We'll see in a couple years..

I guess I can't complain too much, as he's never played a game in an Avs uniform, but an extra second or third would have been nice....

R S 06-26-2010 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jailbait (Post 26552141)
We'll see in a couple years..

I guess I can't complain too much, as he's never played a game in an Avs uniform, but an extra second or third would have been nice....

Oh for sure it is...and I am a big supporter of trading down in most cases.

But as I've said before...this draft showed how varied teams rankings were. The Avs knew there guy and had to take him. Who knows where he couldve ended up even if they had traded down 3-4 spots.