HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Buffalo Sabres (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Buffalo Sabres 3rd Round Pick (83rd Overall) D Matt MacKenzie (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=791690)

Koster 06-26-2010 01:15 PM

Buffalo Sabres 3rd Round Pick (83rd Overall) D Matt MacKenzie

From the Western Hockey League(WHL)

Buffaloed 06-26-2010 01:16 PM

It's spelled MacKenzie, fixed

Chainshot 06-26-2010 01:21 PM

Remmerde has this:

Quote:

Strengths: Excellent hockey sense. Plays a complete two-way game. Solid puck skills.

Weaknesses: Skating is decent - but you wish it was better for an average sized d-man. Average size. Might not be a lot of upside - what you see is what you get.
Quote:

Summary: Western based scouts are probably underrating this guy a bit since they've seen so much of him in the last three seasons. But his tremendous play during the post season was a reminder of why scouts were so excited about this guy back when he was 16. Safe bet to be a solid 2nd or 3rd pairing guy who can also be a 2nd unit power play regular. The hockey sense just makes him such a safe pick.

That and there is a thought in the back of my brain that he reminds me just a tiny bit of Mike Green at the same age. So I've got a little gut feel that there could be some surprise upside here. I wouldn't hesitate spending a pick in the 20-30 range on this guy, but I might be the only one who likes this guy that much.
He's the kid who fought Yogan at the Top Prospects Game too.

Koster 06-26-2010 01:23 PM

Im pulling them from the Draft as they announce their Picks, also note I'm pulling the INFO to my PDA so I appoligize if names are spelled incorrectly

zbubble 06-26-2010 01:30 PM

There's a few fights on youtube

Hawerchuk10 06-26-2010 01:37 PM

Looks like a solid pick. Time to go Offense now! C & RW please!!

mgeise 06-26-2010 02:05 PM

Ranked 59th on this list by premiumscouting.com
http://www.premiumscouting.com/index...&id=2&Itemid=3
Quote:

Mackenzie is one of those defenders you never hear about much, but for good reason, Matt plays a very simple and sound two-way defensive game and has been very effective at it. He has a good stick in the defensive zone, knocks passes away and clears the attacking pressure well, also is good at protecting his crease. Heís calm when moving the puck, making a sound first outlet pass and he makes smart decisions in his own end and in the neutral zone. His pure speed isnít that great, although his defensive mobility is solid and his offensive upside is limited and you wonít see him on the powerplay of a pro team anytime soon. He projects to be a decent 2nd pairing guy with a little added bulk if he reaches his potential; he can kill penalties and be relied on to give solid nightly minutes. He doesnít need to be coached and refined too much as the Hitmen have done a great job with Mackenzie.

Jared Ramsden 06-26-2010 08:06 PM

This was his MacKenzie's 3rd year of junior, and you could definitely tell. He and Mike Stone were easily the top two blueliners for the Hitmen all year, and with Stone turning pro, it wouldn't surprise me to see him named the captain.

He's almost in a way like a poor-man's version of Brandon Gormley. Not as great a skater, but both excel at being pretty much good at everything. Don't notice him very much, but that's because he doesn't make a lot of mistakes out there.

The offensive upside isn't huge, but he showed quite a bit of potential in that area this season, and should develop even more confidence in that respect this coming fall. Not a super hard shot, but he keeps it low and it's usually on the net.

Probably not a top-pairing guy, but down the road, he should develop into a steady, all-around 3-4 blueliner that can eat up a ton of minutes and help on both special teams units.

New Sabres Captain 06-26-2010 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jared Ramsden (Post 26551521)
This was his MacKenzie's 3rd year of junior, and you could definitely tell. He and Mike Stone were easily the top two blueliners for the Hitmen all year, and with Stone turning pro, it wouldn't surprise me to see him named the captain.

He's almost in a way like a poor-man's version of Brandon Gormley. Not as great a skater, but both excel at being pretty much good at everything. Don't notice him very much, but that's because he doesn't make a lot of mistakes out there.

The offensive upside isn't huge, but he showed quite a bit of potential in that area this season, and should develop even more confidence in that respect this coming fall. Not a super hard shot, but he keeps it low and it's usually on the net.

Probably not a top-pairing guy, but down the road, he should develop into a steady, all-around 3-4 blueliner that can eat up a ton of minutes and help on both special teams units.

Great info, thanks. Looks like a pretty good pick all things considered aside from the fact he's not a center.