HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Steve Zipay: Marc Staal talks: "Not a wide gap, a chasm" (UPDATE - close to a deal?) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=791784)

ECL 06-26-2010 02:45 PM

Marc Staal talks: "Not a wide gap, a chasm" (UPDATE - close to a deal?)
 
http://twitter.com/stevezipay/status/17113373299

Does not sound good.

jas 06-26-2010 02:46 PM

When he holds out for a week in September, will he get the same treatment Dubinsky got from the fanbase?

t3hg00se 06-26-2010 02:47 PM

****. :facepalm:

Barbara Underhill 06-26-2010 02:48 PM

He must want big money, hasn't earned it IMHO. A relatively cheap 1-2 year deal to let him earn the big bucks is what Sather is trying to do.

Inferno 06-26-2010 02:48 PM

negotiating ploys.

id KILL sather if he caved in and gave staal whatever he demanded.

kid isnt arbitration eligible. lets see if he can get an offer sheet, otherwise he needs to take what hes given. his pay day will come.

Tony D63 06-26-2010 02:48 PM

O.M.G if Sather doesnt re-sign him.

HatTrick Swayze 06-26-2010 02:49 PM

Exactly what I needed to hear today...time to get hammered

pld459666 06-26-2010 02:50 PM

Lock up the stars to long term deal at good numbers now. See no reason to do to Staal what they did to Dubi.

This weekend is just getting worse and worse

Barbara Underhill 06-26-2010 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 26543005)
negotiating ploys.

id KILL sather if he caved in and gave staal whatever he demanded.

kid isnt arbitration eligible. lets see if he can get an offer sheet, otherwise he needs to take what hes given. his pay day will come.

Agree.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores (Post 26543023)
O.M.G if Sather doesnt re-sign him.

Disagree.

You can't let these kids bend you over the barrel, Sather will sign him to the contract he is comfortable with or let him hold out or trade him for a good package.

Let's see someone offer sheet him for ridiculous money.

Claxton 06-26-2010 02:52 PM

Rights swap with Bobby Ryan?

This better not be like the Dubi negotiations that lasted forever and had everyone on edge.

Blueblood 2 06-26-2010 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyrfan444 (Post 26543075)
Exactly what I needed to hear today...time to get hammered


I agree, hammer time. Expected this though, as his brothers were tough to sign as well.

BBKers 06-26-2010 02:53 PM

Lets lose Staal to an offer sheet. Make it a great weekend. Not. This is just negotiating. God knows what Sather has in mind - but Kovalchuk - if he stays in NA - seems a bit more logical after all that has gone down lately. This somehow could indicate the same...

ocarina 06-26-2010 02:53 PM

let's not make this more then it is.

This is typical. No reason to give Staal what he wants. He isn't arbitration eligible and I doubt a team would offersheet him.

pwoz 06-26-2010 02:55 PM

Fan *** tastic

Son of Steinbrenner 06-26-2010 02:56 PM

I predicted this yesterday in the Kovy thread. The numbers that BRF used for Staal were garbage (but none of the pro-kovy posters seem to care..) and you can tell this is going to be a huge story this summer and going into camp.

Look at the Rangers defense if Staal holds out....He has the team more by the balls then the posters who just use stats to evaluate situations will lead you to believe...Staal and his agent aren't stupid....

As I said yesterday, I can see Staal holding out and asking for a trade....I don't know if it will get to that point but I can see it...

jas 06-26-2010 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inferno272 (Post 26543005)
negotiating ploys.

id KILL sather if he caved in and gave staal whatever he demanded.

kid isnt arbitration eligible. lets see if he can get an offer sheet, otherwise he needs to take what hes given. his pay day will come.

Seems like deja vu...weren't we just going through this same dance with Dubinsky?

pwoz 06-26-2010 03:00 PM

Another reason the salary cap is insanely stupid. You can't put a NYC team on the same payroll as a bumbleF with no fanbase.

qwertyaas 06-26-2010 03:02 PM

This is turning into an interesting draft weekend...

Levitate 06-26-2010 03:03 PM

Sather always plays hardball with his RFA's

azrok22 06-26-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pwoz (Post 26543571)
Another reason the salary cap is insanely stupid. You can't put a NYC team on the same payroll as a bumbleF with no fanbase.

Not to mention the cost-of-living in NYC is about twice as high as in Atlanta.

If Atlanta can spend $45m, we should be allowed to spend $90m! :D

pwoz 06-26-2010 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azrok22 (Post 26543720)
Not to mention the cost-of-living in NYC is about twice as high as in Atlanta.

If Atlanta can spend $45m, we should be allowed to spend $90m! :D

Exactly! $1m in ATL is like $3m in NYC. The cap is useless. I'm sick of this 'leveling the playing field' garbage. It's like gov't :sarcasm:

Look at baseball.. the Yankees have a $17 billion payroll to Tampa's $5,000, but the Yankees still manage to be successful. Get rid of the cap AND Sather and this team will win every year. :)

SomebodySaveKreider 06-26-2010 03:08 PM

Anyone after the last 3 days feel like we're suddenly going in the wrong direction?

pwoz 06-26-2010 03:11 PM

Yes. I was hoping Rozsival would be traded at the draft to free up space so that Slats can sign Martin and Kovy on July 1st. Yea, yea, summer cap blah blah blah, but this team will go nowhere again without a solid D and a generational goal scorer.

pld459666 06-26-2010 03:12 PM

.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BayAreaRanger (Post 26543994)
Anyone after the last 3 days feel like we're suddenly going in the wrong direction?

felt that way for the last 2 years.

yesterday and today only enhance that.,

BrooklynRangersFan 06-26-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner (Post 26543390)
I predicted this yesterday in the Kovy thread. The numbers that BRF used for Staal were garbage (but none of the pro-kovy posters seem to care..) and you can tell this is going to be a huge story this summer and going into camp.

Look at the Rangers defense if Staal holds out....He has the team more by the balls then the posters who just use stats to evaluate situations will lead you to believe...Staal and his agent aren't stupid....

As I said yesterday, I can see Staal holding out and asking for a trade....I don't know if it will get to that point but I can see it...

Hahaha. SoS, only you could take this news and spin it as supporting your argument.

There is a "chasm". In other words, Staal's initial asking price is likely close to what you predicted. That's nice. But if Slats had ANY intention of paying anything close to that amount, he wouldn't be characterizing the negotiations with words like chasm. Last year, our rising star and anticipated 1st line center, Dubi, wound up getting a deal that averages $1.85MM over 2 years. And yet you think Staal is somehow going to get in the area of $5MM per year? My prediction of $3.5MM is more than realistic - in fact, it's probably conservative.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.